Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Region highlight / Rectangle question

Hi

I use 'region highlight Y' to mark up my chart with support and resistance. It works great. I would like to have the option of cutting/snipping the region at a certain location (normally EOD) on my chart instead of deleting the drawing - is this possible? This would allow me to back reference levels so that I can test/review my strategy.

I have noted that a while back there was a forum post about the 'rectangle' drawing tool. Is there anything in the pipeline for making it more useful? So for example having an 'extend rectangle' option and a 'snip rectangle' option? This would solve my region highlight problem.

I hope this all makes sense.

Thanks

Hello DavidWazz,

Unfortunately this is not supported as per the Region Highlight Y drawing tool.

The Rectangle drawing tool can be adjusted after it is drawn. Please click the rectangle once so it selected. Subsequently hover your cursor on a corner of the rectangle. Click and hold the left mouse button and move to the direction you like.

You could also double click the rectangle to open the Drawing Objects window that shows the properties. Click Data and you can modify the rectangle as well.

If this does not solve your issue, could you please clarify how exactly you like the Rectangle drawing tool to be more useful.

JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Jason

The functionality is in the drawing objects window for the rectangle - thanks.

It would be nice to have the ability to extend and snip the rectangle when you right click on the rectangle instead of having to go into 'properties' and manually use the calendar drop down option for each rectangle.

I guess other traders don't need the functionality so that's why it's not available.

Thanks again Jason

Comment

Sorry I'm not sure if I follow. You can extend or snip the rectangle using the instruction below. I assume you like to shorten the rectangle when you refer to "snip".

Please click the rectangle once so it selected. Subsequently hover your cursor on a corner of the rectangle. Click and hold the left mouse button and move to the direction you like.

If this is not what you are looking for, could you please clarify how the rectangle would be extended or snipped after you right click it.

Comment

Hi Jason

Apologies for not explaining myself correctly - let me see if I can be more clear.

When I draw support and resistance areas, I want the area to extend to the right until that level gets breached - this could be in a days time or in a months time. I don't want to manually extend the supp/res level every day because I have lots of levels and this would take me a long time. The 'region highlight' is a good tool because when you highlight an area you don't have to specify how far forward you want it to extend - the tool extends automatically. If I understand correctly you cannot specify when the 'region highlight' tool ends - so you can't snip/cut the region highlight tool like you can with the rectangle tool.

With the rectangle tool I understand you can click left click on the drawing and then move the corners forward/back/up/down. However, because I have extended the rectangle 1 month forward (so I don't have to extend it everyday (explained in paragraph above)), I would have to scroll a long way forward, find the corner of the rectangle and then drag it back to the date/time I want. So when my supp/res zones get breached, I want to snip the rectangle at the end of the day and redraw and extended rectangle at a new level.

I have attached an example. The red arrows indicate where I snipped/cut the supp/res zone - the cyan arrows indicate where the zone extends forward until it gets breached.

It is no big issue - the current option works - it is just more time consuming and cumbersome.
          Attached Files

Comment

I see, thank you for clarifying.

Correct, the Region Highlight Y can't be snipped.

Unfortunately I don't see a better way than using the Data settings in the Drawing Objects properties. You could check at the publicly available link below to see if there are custom drawing tools that allow such functionality.
            Search trading indicators, apps and services to personalize your NinjaTrader software. Explore custom trading indicators, automated strategies, free trading apps & more!

The NinjaTrader Ecosystem website is for educational and informational purposes only and should not be considered a solicitation to buy or sell a futures contract or make any other type of investment decision. The add-ons listed on this website are not to be considered a recommendation and it is the reader's responsibility to evaluate any product, service, or company. NinjaTrader Ecosystem LLC is not responsible for the accuracy or content of any product, service or company linked to on this website.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by cre8able, Today, 03:20 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post cre8able  
            Started by Fran888, 02-16-2024, 10:48 AM
            3 responses
            0 likes