Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

How to change ATM settings while in a trade ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to change ATM settings while in a trade ?

Hi all,

often I realize within a trade that I want to customize my ATM strategy. Being it small modifications in Stop-Loss, Take-Profit, Break-Even or Auto-Trail. While my trade is active (I have position open) I cannot customize those settings. This is really bad, why shouldn't I be able to edit freely the existing settings? I cannot and don't want to wait to close my position just because I wanna edit my settings. Another bad thing I'm realizing is: in case I wanna customize the Break-Even or Auto-Trail options I have always to enter the ATM strategy and then make the changes. This nested behaviour is really annoying.

How can this be accomplished much more easier? Sorry for sounding upset, but I am really disappointed as a new NT8 user. All other trading platforms used before can handle this and they do it really fine. Now I am using a so-called genius trading platform which I paid thousand bucks for, just to realize that it's not capable to fulfill this request.

any help appreciated.

Hello patricia70,

Thank you for your post.

It would not be currently possible to modify an ATM strategy mid-trade. There would also not be a way to modify the ATM Strategies' settings other than actually going into the ATM's edit menu.

However, I have added votes for you to two existing Feature Requests, one to allow modification of ATM parameters after an order is filled, and one to streamline ATM editing. These are being tracked as SFT-2694 and SFT-2376 respectively.

As with all feature requests, interest is tracked before implementation is considered, so we cannot offer an ETA or promise of fulfillment. If implemented, it will be noted in the Release Notes page of the Help Guide.

Release Notes — https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...ease_notes.htm

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance to you.

Kate W.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

thank you for listening. Still cannot understand why such basic functions are not implemented yet. As said before, in all other trading platforms I am used to, one can click on the active stop-loss order and just enable/disable trailing function. For example: ES long position entered at 3.350 points and stop-loss=3.340. Actual price is 3355. Now I click onto that stop-loss order which in and from its options menu I enable auto-trail. The price difference is 15, so my stop-loss will move upwards with each tick (or customizable if you like x ticks). When the price reached 3370 the stop-loss order will be 3.355 and when price drops the stop-loss order remains there. The auto-trail never ever reduces the stop-loss order because it would negatively affect the PnL.

That's something really simple, available even on online web trading platforms (no dedicated software running on own computer). It's unbelievable that a thousand bucks expensive software application missed such basic function.

Nevertheless,thanks for listening and forwarding as a feauture request. I am pretty sure I am not alone wishing such a feauture, am I?
      Last edited by patricia70; 11-11-2020, 05:24 AM.

Comment

Hi patricia70 , I wish I could support your request . Just as you , also I would like to change my ATM during an active trade . Markets change and may allow for more/less risk or different expectations of profitability only developing during the same trade . So , in the specific case of trading system performance , I do have the same desire as you do . But I have no reason to critic other than perhaps myself ( if at all )

...... I did test the plattform before I bought it . I could have noticed before , this is entirely MY mistake and my poor performance having spend 1.000 USD approx without "proper" ( == for me relevant ) testing ( and nobody elses ) .

On the upside , I do not regret the purchase : My driving force for buying the lifetime licence was the benefit in commissions and this benefit remains . Plus , did you already enjoy the indicators " Order Flow " ? Those help me so much . And ( only ) in case you trade at continuum , you get even more support through cummulative delta indicator !

Like you , I know ( approx 5) different plattforms in depth and work on NT since 3 months . Have you thought of replacing ATM through coding your own Ninjascript strategy ? Thats what I will do . You could even do this without knowing C# or Ninjascript ; have a look at the Strategy section of NT8 and the incredible amount of supporting information available here , the plattform itself , YT and futures.io .

Wish you successfull trading , enjoy the beautifull plattform and make lots of money with it .

Best wishes
        Lobo
        Last edited by Lobo_Trader; 11-11-2020, 05:17 AM.

Comment

Hi Lobo_Trader,

I don't want and there is absolutely no need to reinvent the wheel. We are talking about real basic simple stuff which even a "free" trading platform should have in core. I didn't choose NT to start coding my own indicators, strategys or other functions. I expect -emphasized- from a thousand dollar software to provide such basic trading functionalities. I guess that is the reason of the big disappointment. Whatsoever, thanks for your thoughts and for the kind words. Wish you also good luck and all the best.

Comment

NinjaTrader_Kate , please let me confirm : I hope my assumption is correct - ( please confirm , a simple Y/N will do it ) ...... that the NT plattform user , me , may have an active strategy ( with the one only duty to manage active trade ) and that than the user may manually enter a trade , strategy already up n running and it than will take on control of this trade . So the strategy will recognise during its operation that a trade was added and than would check and adjust for SL, TP and Trail as to the code of the strategy ? Sry asking , I am no google expert and currently just upgrading my coding-knowhow from C,C++ to C# and Ninjascript

Thanks in advance and best regards send from
            Lobo

Comment

Hello Lobo_Trader,

Thank you for your reply.

This would not be possible with an automated NinjaScript strategy, as strategies are meant to be self contained and cannot see manually entered positions while the strategy is running. A strategy would only be able to adopt the position already in an account when it is started, and only if it is specifically programmed to be Adopt Account Position aware.

ATM strategies may be used in conjunction with manual trading to set a stop loss and profit target, or even trailing/breakeven stop behaviors, however as mentioned you cannot modify the ATM strategy behavior mid-trade.

Comment

Hi there,

When using Chart Trader, the stop loss and profit target levels from the ATM Strategy should be visible. Clicking on the "flags" turn them black, which allows them to be dragged to new prices.

The embedded stops within the ATM strategy are not changeable once active as far as I can tell, but they can be thoughtfully tailored (you can pick different ATM strategies for different circumstances).

All else failing, one could "cancel all orders" with a right click on the SuperDOM and click on the chart using Chart Trader to set manual limit levels relatively fast. [For example, if the embedded stops are too tight and there's a run coming, clearing them may make sense.]

Comment

Hi
                  Is it possible to modify the strategies that come with NT8 and also custom built strategies once they are saved as a Strategy? I couldn't do this except open the Ninjascript which im not sure about as I dont want to mess with the code. Once a strategy is saved, is not possible to alter the profit, stop loss etc using graphical use interface?
                  Regards
                  H

Comment

Hello honest-trader,

Once a strategy is unlocked, it can no longer be edited with the Strategy Builder. The provided strategies that come built into NinjaTrader cannot be edited with the builder.

There was a known issue where attempting to alter a previously created Strategy Builder strategy would throw an error, but that's been fixed in the latest release of the platform.

If you're encountering this error, please follow the directions below to update NinjaTrader:
                    • First, copy your license key from NinjaTrader under Help> License Key then exit NinjaTrader
                    • Uninstall your current version of NinjaTrader from the Windows Control Panel (this will not remove your user data)
                    • Click on the link: https://ninjatrader.com/PlatformDirect
                    • Enter your license key and press Submit
                    • Select 'Download'
                    • Critical: Before running the installer, ensure NinjaTrader is closed.

Comment

Hi there
                      Thanks for your response.

This is bit disappointing that you can't edit inbuilt strategies

Regards
                      H

Comment

#Kate,
                        FWIW please add my votes.

Comment

Hello brucerobinson,

I've added votes for you to SFT-2694 and SFT-2376.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by CortexZenUSA, Today, 12:53 AM
                          0 responses
                          1 view
                          0 likes
                          Last Post CortexZenUSA  
                          Started by CortexZenUSA, Today, 12:46 AM
                          0 responses