Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Can I run the same strategy with two different primary instruments simultaneously?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I run the same strategy with two different primary instruments simultaneously?

Hi.

I have a strategy (let's call it MyStrategy) that acts only on the primary instrument. That is, MyStrategy does not consider any additional instruments to determine its entry/exit points and it only trades the primary instrument.

Is it possible for me to run MyStrategy on two different charts, each with a unique instrument (e.g. MES 12-20 and MNQ 12-20), and on the same trading account? I think the answer is yes but I'm not sure if the orders from each instrument will interact with each other.

Thanks.

Hello rcloutier, thanks for your post, and welcome to the NinjaTrader forum.

It is definitely possible to run your strategy on two separate instruments at the same time. There would be an issue if the strategies were trading the same instrument on the same account because there is a possibility of one strategy going long while the other goes flat (depending on how the strategy is designed), and that would de-sync the strategy position from the real world account position.

Kind regards,
    -ChrisL
    Chris L.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks ChrisL.

That makes sense to me. But upon testing it on two different charts with two different instruments in ChartTrader mode, one of the instruments entered a position using an Atm strategy and that entry appeared on both charts. I didn't expect that to happen and it was really confusing because the whole reason for using an Atm strategy is so that I can adjust the profit targets and stop losses on the chart. But I can't do that confidently if the positions that I'm interacting with in ChartTrader are shown on the wrong chart.

Thanks.

Comment

Hello rcloutier, thanks for your reply.

That can not happen. If the two charts have a different instrument, the ATM and position markers will not be present on the other instrument. Do you have a video or screenshot showing this?

I look forward to hearing from you.
        Chris L.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Unfortunately, I do not have any record of it. Also, I agree that this should not happen and indeed it does behave as expected when tested in Playback mode.

I'll try to get a recording of it live in the future.

Thanks.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by algospoke, Today, 06:40 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post algospoke  
          Started by maybeimnotrader, Today, 05:46 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes