Regression Channel attach to indicator values not price

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regression Channel attach to indicator values not price

I have an indicator on my chart, I would like to use the regression channel drawing tool with it, however it looks like it is being attached the Close Price not the indicator Close values. How do I set it the regressoin channel indicator to use the indicator values instead of the price close?

Hello,

Thanks for your post.

Right click on the chart> Indicators> select the configured Regression channel> Change the "Input Series" and double click on the indicators folder to show all available indicators, and select the desired indicator and price type to apply the indicator value to the regression channel.

If you have any further NinjaTrader inquiries we may assist with, please don't hesitate to ask.
    Marco G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I'm looking at the drawing tool not the indicator

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

The Drawing Tool has some settings if you double click on the drawing tool on the chart, however without custom coding via NinjaScript, the tool will follow the settings according to the Data Series, and not a specific indicator.

Please let me know if I may be of any further assistance.
        Marco G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

That seems like a bug to me. If I am using a drawing tool that is not on the price panel, it should use the Values[0] of the panel it is on, not the DataSeries. Or at least provide a drop down to allow that in the indicator panel

Comment

Hello habibalex,

I wanted to make sure I understand correctly, you used an indicator to draw the Regression Channel and that is being displayed on the Price panel, is that correct?

If you mean to have the drawing reside in the same panel as the indicator you can use DrawOnPricePanel = false:

If that is not correct can you please provide a more specific example of what you tried and what the outcome was vs the expected outcome?

Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.
            JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2020-10-21 134254.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	1123882

Comment

Hello habibalex,

Thanks for the image, I would also need to see what code you used for that.

The drawing object can only draw at prices that you specify so if its using Prices and not delta that would be from what syntax you had used.

I look forward to being of further assistance.

Comment

The code I used for what? I am just using the drawing tool called Regression Channel. Press Ctrl + F10 to open it. The indicator doesn't matter. If you add the VOL indicator to your chart on a new panel and try the same it still tries to draw on the Close price of the data series, not the indicator.

Comment

Hello habibalex,

Thanks for the note, Marco had marked as NinjaScript is the reason I had asked.

If you are just manually drawing the object then yes it would use the charts Price series. The VOL is specifically using the Volume series and then plotting it, neither of which the regression is looking for. If you wanted to target indicator or other non price series the drawing object would need to be re coded to look for that. It could also be made to just use inputs for prices like the other drawing tools have

Comment

Can you put in a request to change the regression drawing tool to use the Value Series for indicators panels instead of the Price?

The code for volume indicator is shown below. It is also writing to the Value Series

Code:
                      protected override void OnBarUpdate()
                      {
                      Value[0] = Instrument.MasterInstrument.InstrumentType == InstrumentType.CryptoCurrency ? Core.Globals.ToCryptocurrencyVolume((long)Volume[0]) : Volume[0];
                      }

Comment

Hello habibalex,

To do that would require re working quite a bit of the drawing objects code. If you take a look at the code for the regression it uses an enum to delegate how it pulls its data. To use an indicator instead of the price series would require using the anchor system or making an input for that purpose. The tool as it is now uses the bar series and the enum to delegate how it calculates which is different from most other tools that use anchors or price input. This would be a situation where you could duplicate the existing tool if you wanted to change how it works overall to support other use cases.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by RookieTrader, Today, 09:37 AM
                        2 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post RookieTrader  
                        Started by alifarahani, Today, 09:40 AM
                        1 response
                        0 likes