Simulation, Buying on Margin and US Symbols

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simulation, Buying on Margin and US Symbols

I am having difficulty figuring out how to use a simulation account to simulate trading on margin on a US symbol, such as AAPL. My general understanding of the rules of margin for trading US instruments is that one must have at least 25K in the account. If they qualify for pattern day trader they can then have a 4:1 buying power.

How can to set up a simulation account to simulate this scenario?
    How does actual account, say with TD Ameritrade or Interactive Brokers convey this information in the software?

Hello ntbone,

Unfortunately I don't see a way to configure this for the Sim101 account. The buying power for the Sim101 account will always be zero.

You can view account information in the Control Center-->Accounts-tab which depends on the broker connection. Not all values are supported by each broker. Please see the link below under "Account Values Supported by Provider" that shows what account values are supported by each broker connection.
    https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...ndingTheAccoun tsTab
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Ah. It would be nice if that could be configured so that buying power could be a multiple of cash value.

I have noticed with the simulation accounts that it restricts how many shares one can buy based on the cash value of the account, but when it comes to shorting, one can short indefinitely. Why was no limit put in place for shorting?

Comment

Unfortunately this is a known issue with simulation accounts in NinjaTrader. When you short a stock instrument, it will increase the cash value which allows you to go short indefinitely.

I will forward the suggestion to put a limit in place when shorting stocks on simulation accounts as well as configurable buying power for simulation accounts.

Comment

Hello ntbone,

Thanks for your patience.

The internal tracking number for your feature request is SFT-5112 (have a limit in place when shorting stocks and configurable buying power for simulation accounts). Please reference this internal tracking number when contacting Platform Support if you ever have questions regarding this feature request.

When a feature request is implemented, you'll find a description of the new feature in the release notes:

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by thanajo, 05-04-2021, 02:11 AM
          3 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post tradingnasdaqprueba  
          Started by Christopher_R, Today, 12:29 AM
          0 responses
          0 likes