Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Synchronization of Chart Bar Timer With System Time

Dear Support,

I use a a default Bar Timer indicator on my minute charts to show the remaining time for bar completion. However, there is always a big difference between chart timer and the system timer. This difference gets quite large unless I synchronize the PC System timer every time on startup.

Here is the question: Is it possible for NT8 to automatically perform a synchronization on startup (perhaps a feature suggestion)?
    If not, is there any indicator available to install as part of a template to perform a synchronization with the PC system time on startup or preferably on a certain frequency (i.e. hourly during the trading session).

Many thanks.

Hello aligator,

Unfortunately there is not an option to automatically sync the PC clock within NinjaTrader needs to be done manually with the steps below.
    • Close NinjaTrader
    • Right click on your time->Adjust Date/Time
    • Click "Sync Now"
    • Once successfully synched open NinjaTrader

Christopher J.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_ChristopherJ View Post
      Hello aligator,

Unfortunately there is not an option to automatically sync the PC clock within NinjaTrader needs to be done manually with the steps below.
      • Close NinjaTrader
      • Right click on your time->Adjust Date/Time
      • Click "Sync Now"
      • Once successfully synched open NinjaTrader
      Thanks Christopher,

The method you described is what I have been doing to deal with this issue. Windows system clock synchronizes on a weekly basis by default and that is a long timespan and introduces big time differences. Perhaps synchronization can be included as a built-in feature in NT8 in a future revision.

Regardless, I was able to find instructions from Harry in a 02-12-2014 post for modifying the default settings for Windows system clock to synchronize on an hourly basis. I am not sure, If such change will introduce any performance issues or not, but here are the instructions and a link to the source that may be helpful to others dealing with the same issue,

Also, perhaps Harry can comment if such a short hourly synchronization may introduce system performance issues. Per Harry:

"(2) Per default Windows synchronizes your PC time only once per week. This can easily lead to a significant synchonrization error. What you can do is to select a faster update frequency. Select the Windows Start button -> enter "regedit.exe", then select "\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\ serv ices\W32Time\TimeProviders\NtpClient" then double-click the parameter "SpecialPollInterval" The default value is "93a80" with a hexadecimal base (converts to 604800 seconds). Replace this enty with

Value = 3600 (Basis = Decimal)
      alternatively e10 (Basis = Hexadecimal)

To activate the new settings, you need to restart the Windows timer under the Windows system settings. Your PC clock will now be synchronized once every hour instead of once per week.
      "

https://ninjatrader.com/support/foru...695#post604695

Cheers!
      Last edited by aligator; 10-22-2020, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Dear Support,
        Hi NinjaTrader_ChristopherJ

I would like to follow up on subject "chart bar sychronization" as an old generic issue that has remaind unresolved. In my case, after manually synchronization or following the guidance in Post # 3 to modifying the default settings for Windows system clock to synchronize on an hourly basis, the issue of large time gaps between the chart and the system clock still sometimes exist.

In the first post I asked if it is possible for NT8 to automatically perform a synchronization on startup, perhaps a feature in a future revision. Alternatively as a quick fix, perhaps provide an indicator to install as part of a template to perform a synchronization with the PC system time on startup, beginning of the session, or preferably on a certain frequency.

Would you please comment on any actions that NinjaTrader may take to address this issue common to many of your customers.

Many thanks.
        Last edited by aligator; 07-16-2022, 06:29 PM.

Comment

I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM FOR THE LAST 4 DAYS, I removed some third party indicators from my ninja folder and now everything runs perfect no lag .

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by judysamnt7, 03-13-2023, 09:11 AM
          4 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post DynamicTest  
          Started by ScottWalsh, Today, 06:52 PM
          4 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post ScottWalsh