tab preset not saved (not working)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tab preset not saved (not working)

I want to have the default tab name be @DATASERIES and according this demonstration from 35:08 to 38:00 one should expect that the template has been saved. In 34:42 he says whenever a new tab is opened the new configured tab name @DATASERIES will be shown. At his luck he didn't demonstrated this last step :-) because it would have fail.
    --> Whenever a new tab is opened, the modified tab name (@DATASERIES) is not effective although the preset has been saved as shown in the video tutorial. I always get the old and default tab name which is @INSTRUMENT_FULL for a new opened tab.

any clues?

Hello patricia70,

Are you using the most recent NinjaTrader 8 version? (8.0.22.2).

Using this version, I was not able to reproduce any errors. Once the properties were saved as default they would apply to new tabs and new charts alike.

I've created a short video reproducing these steps and pasted it below:

World's leading screen capture + recorder from Snagit + Screencast by Techsmith. Capture, edit and share professional-quality content seamlessly.

If you are not able to recreate this and your charts default back to the @DATASERIES, please let me know. I'd love to take a closer look at it, should you still not be able to set this preset!
    Manfred F.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

thanks for your effort. I run the latest version 8.0.22.2 and I did it absolutely exactly like you shown. I just triple-checked and even with an empty new test workspace. The "preset" --> "save" step does not seem to have any effect on my side. *puzzled*

Comment

Hello patricia70,

Thank you very much for double-checking! I would like to take a look at your log & trace files, as they might give us an indication of why this would not work on your platform.

Could you please forward your log & trace files to me? You can do this directly through the platform. Simply click on Help > Email Support.

To ensure the files can get associated with this post, please add the following note to your message:

ATTN Manfred 2810661

Thank you in advance!

Comment

I've done trial and error and found out:

after I have changed my initial chart to @DATASERIES as desired, then I right-click into the chart and choose "Template" --> "Save as default" and then it works as expected. When I open a new tab now the setting is there. But it does not work when using the method mentioned in the video and shown by your own short video demonstration. The PRESET --> SAVE does not work, the TEMPLATE-->SaveAsDefault works.

I have to add that I am already using customized settings in my chart which I saved under Template --> default template. Hope this helps for figuring out what's happening?

Comment

Hello patricia70,

It sounds like one of your chart templates might somehow overwrite the "properties" template.

I will do some further testing in this regard to see if I can recreate this on my end.

I will follow up as soon as I know more. Thank you in advance for your patience!

Comment

Yes, that's what I suspect. Seems that default template if "occupied" has precedence over "preset". Let me know what you'll find out. Thanks for your assistance and have a great day.

Comment

Hello patricia70,

Thank you very much for your patience.

After testing this thoroughly and looking through our documentation I can confirm this behavior would be expected.

To explain this in a bit more detail:

The "Properties Template", together with the default templates set for the Data Series and all Indicators is a 'second level' template, so to speak.

That means these templates will only be used if no other template overwrites them.

As the "Chart Template" is a first-level template that contains all possible settings, including the data series used, all settings thereof, all indicators that were added as well as their settings, this also includes the "Properties" settings and takes priority, if selected.

If you create a new chart and select "None" in the Data Series window, each of the default templates would be taken into account individually and the tab would appear with the name set under the properties' default.

If any template is selected, however, the settings of that template take priority and will overwrite all other settings.

Click image for larger version  Name:	template.png Views:	0 Size:	12.5 KB ID:	1125425
                In short; Once a "Chart Default Template" has been set, the only way the individual "Properties Template" would apply is if "None" is selected on the screen above.

I hope this explains exactly why the video worked perfectly on a freshly installed platform, but would no longer work once a chart template has been saved as default.

As such, you were on the right track with modifying the "Chart Template", as this will apply to all charts going forward and overwrites the properties.

Please don't hesitate to let me know if you have any further questions!

Comment

Many thanks for clarification Manfred. I would suggest the NT team to make this behaviour more clear in the next releases because it's not intuitive. At least a warning message should appear at the action "Preset" --> "Save" that the setting cannot become effective because a parent "Template" setting exists. Otherwise the user is groping around in the dark and doesn't even know why it doesn't work as expected. Thank you very much for your effort and commitment.

Have a great day!
                  Patricia

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by f.saeidi, Today, 11:02 AM
                  1 response
                  1 view
                  0 likes
                  Last Post NinjaTrader_BrandonH  
                  Started by geotrades1, Today, 10:02 AM