Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Platform Price Line indicator issue, resulting in chart lag

Hello,
    I'm providing the following information because I believe it warrants further investigation/passing on to development who may do with it as they will.
    And in case it helps others.
    Unfortunately what I report does not lend itself to bullet points or step-by-step troubleshooting.

I have noticed, on occasion on fast charts at times of high volatility, the Price Line indicator would fail. I use only last price (not spread), and the chart marker (not the Price Line marker). It would fail to render the line. Sometimes corrected by reload Ninjascript, sometimes reload data, sometimes delete and re-install indicator. I have observed this occasionally on different charts and instruments since I started using it, but it was not sufficient of a problem to report, many other NT8 performance issues over the period.
    Before PriceLine was released I used the stock SMA with a period of 1. Before that a 3rd party PriceLine - until I came across the SMA period 1 trick and could do away with 3rd party indicator, I never had a problem with either.

There are many threads on lagging charts for various reasons proposed. Consequently I use the Chart Lag utility and become aware of it when it occurs.
    The increase in volatility since March has brought unprecedented conditions i.e. what may not have been a problem before march may now be, for whatever reason.

For my setup, I have found it can be problematic at the Open.

The 'worst' outcome has the symptoms of Ninja being 'overwhelmed' by data i.e. with charts rendering seemingly in realtime, but developing a cumulative lag behind real time (apparent using chart lag indictor). Symptoms typically are that Ninja 'eventually catches up as the market catches up and 'clears the backlog' and thereafter behaves as normal.
    I would also say that the chart may become many many minutes behind, but when it 'gets back on top if it' can clear the backlog in a matter of seconds.

Sometimes I may see this on all instruments, sometimes only some. The more volatile the instrument, the more likely. So, yesterday ES/NQ/RTY/YM (i.e. all those I had charting). Previously I've seen just ES, or just YM with the others behaving normally.
    At the Open, I saw lag building on all instruments.
    I pinged CQG's servers at <100ms which is normal for my connection.
    I have a 'test' workspace with 1x 15t NQ chart, simple OHLC, Chart Lag indicator - necessary to see lag - and NOTHING else. i.e. it is 'Safe Mode' without the need to restart. I closed out my trading workstation, opened Test which showed no lag (<200ms).

I restarted my trading Workstation and lag built on all instruments.

I'm aware there can be myriad reasons from the platform itself, to poorly coded indicators, connection problems etc. etc. and I'm not looking for diagnosis of my workstation - simply passing on info I think development should consider.

At the Open, the charts hardly began to move at the outset. Chart Lag showed lag building. The charts started to run i.e. price/time moving, but the lag increasing on all markets. On 3 markets price varied but consistent at a few seconds to minutes. NQ fell further and further behind. I have 4 charts stacked so it becomes obvious when 3x5min charts are vertically aligned showing latest time is 09:46 and one is showing 09:34.....

The three began to catch up with real time, but NQ still minutes behind and falling further, hence my attention was on NQ. I then noticed the Price Line was not printing. F5 did not resolve. Reloading historical data did not. Deleted the indicator and instantly all charts caught up, with the 'delayed' NQ 15s chart rendering 10m of delayed chart in a matter of seconds.

I removed all instances of Price Line and at the Open this morning saw Chart Lag flash red on a couple for a split second or two. No lag all day.

I'm aware that I am not working in a controlled environment and with variables I cannot affect. Hence cannot prove cause and effect. Problems occur more often at the start of the week, than Tuesday etc.

I also realised that I don't have Price Line on Test, as I have nothing other than one data series and Chart Lag.

It may be coincidence that when I removed the Price Line indicator that I had noticed was not printing the Line on the Instrument that was much more delayed than the others the chart printed the 10minutes of missing chart blisteringly quickly in a matter of seconds and thereafter all was well.

I do know that I have notice Price Line 'sticking' and not printing several times since it was released/I started using it, which I did not experience with the 1 period SMA it replaced.

My 'gut feel' in layman's speak is that Price Line can be a bottleneck causing 'chart lag' to become cumulative in high volatility (i.e. the chart appears to be responding in realtime but is milliseconds slower than realtime which accumulates) until volatility and volume slows and it can catch up. Or, it 'fails', stops printing etc.

I hope this may be helpful to those that know how it works.

I'll see what happens next Monday without the Price Line indicator. There is no doubt that I have found it to have failed perhaps 10-20 times in the last year. I have not connectd that to lagging/volatility, and it may yet be proven to be coincidental.

Kind regards,

Hello brucerobinson,

Thank you very much for your most detailed report!

I would like to see if I can recreate this using your workspace/chart setup, if not during the open on Wednesday/Thursday then maybe during the open on Monday next week.

To do this, I'd like to ask you to send your workspace and templates to our Platform Support Team, please also include the log & trace files, as this will allow us to track down should there be any reported issues on the platform.

The easiest way to do this would be to click on Help > Email Support

Please ensure you select the "Log & trace", "Workspace files and UI settings" and "Template files" options.

Additionally, please leave the following note in the email, this ensures we can associate it with your forum post:

ATTN Manfred 2818518

Thank you in advance, I look forward to your email!
    Manfred F.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hello Manfred and thanks.
      I have sent the files as requested.
      You will find several Workspaces.
      To explain - ignore all except USIndices. The scenario I have described occurs with only a USIndices workspace running (i.e. no Currencies or Market Analyser workspace running concurrently).
      USIndicesnView is the 'full' version - it has 3 timeframe chart windows and multiple tabs in one of those for each stock index, plus a 'watchlist' of single charts for other instruments such as currencies, commodities etc
      USIndicesLite is as per but with fewer charts in tabs
      USIndicesOnlyLite is as per but with only USIndices - no 'watchlist' charts.
      i.e. I have pared down the load in terms of overall number of instruments running and in terms of load per thread used for each instrument such that in the lightest version I only have 4 instruments with only 3 chart windows, one of which has two tabs.
      The symptoms I describe occur on all workspaces.
      Kind regards,
      Edit:
      To recreate my Workspace you will require the OHLC indicator attached.
      Please note as follows:
      - I'm aware of Ninja's default position re: '3rd party' indicators and why
      - the attached is a simple combination of Current and Prior Day stock platform indicator code into one wrapper, with the addition of a 'look-back' prior day. I cut and pasted code for the latter, and Paul_H (iirc) gave me some value-add assistance to improve its efficiency (I only use Horizontal Line style and there is no need to grab previous days, which become fixed - you'll find a thread recently in Indicator Development) values more than once. Doing so removes the need for many many instances of Current and Prior Day OHLC indicators. In the grand scheme of things it is a very simple and resource-light indicator and I'm sure Paul would have commented if he'd seen anything untoward
      - I only made this change to using this indicator recently, a couple of weeks or so ago. The difficulties encountered exacerbated with the increased volatility go back much further
      - the problems with Price Line 'freezing'/ceasing to draw the Line were noticed shortly after I started using it.

So, I understand the rationale behind eliminating 3rd party indicators as a potential cause, but CustomDayOHLC isn't 'really' a 3rd party indicator it is a modification/combination of stock platform ones' code, and this issue here pre-dates my development/use of it by a long margin.

I can of course send you a Workspace which uses multiple instances of the stock platform Current & Prior OHLC indicators from before this change, or use them instead in the workspace I sent.

As you will see, I only use this indicator, stock platform Price Line, Alan_P's Repeater and chart lag to identify lag.

I also use Tick Refresh because default refresh is too slow on fast charts. But again, I have removed Tick Refresh previously in my testing to eliminate it and it makes no difference to the issue whatsoever. You can do likewise simply by not adding it to your platform of course. By all means do.

Monday's Open will likely be 'testing'.

Kind regards,
      Attached Files
      Last edited by brucerobinson; 11-04-2020, 06:26 AM. Reason: Indicator attached

Comment

Hello brucerobinson,

Thank you very very much for the detailed instructions and for sending your workspace over.

I will go through everything later today to see if I can recreate any issues, may it be with live data, or a market replay of Monday's opening.

Should this not work I will likely have to wait until Monday to give it a thorough test.

This or that way, we'll do our best to track down what might be causing this.

I will follow up with you shortly!
        Manfred F.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by pmachiraju, 11-01-2023, 04:46 AM
        8 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post rehmans
        by rehmans

Started by mattbsea, Today, 05:44 PM