Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT 8.0.23.0 on Windows 7

The NT 8.0.23.0 Release Notes contain:

"When installing NinjaTrader, it will prompt you if you need to install .NET 4.8, and if required, you can download it here. Additionally, as a result of this update, Windows 8.1 becomes the minimum supported operating system."

.NET Framework 4.8 is supported on Windows 7 SP1 and was included with the Windows May 10th 2019 Update. Is there some other reason Windows 8.1 has become the minimum supported operating system?

Hello caveat_lector,

Thank you for your reply.

Prior to 8.0.23.0 we were supporting users on Windows 8, however Microsoft does not support .NET Framework 4.8 on Windows 8, so the current minimum requirements were updated to Windows 8.1. Additionally, Microsoft ceased support for Windows 7 on January 14, 2020. We continued to support Windows 7 for nearly a year after this, however, it is no longer supported for reasons relating to Microsoft no longer supporting it.

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance to you.
    Kate W.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

It obviously would be costly to continue to test compatibility and to provide ongoing technical support for several old OS versions. However, other than it not being a supported configuration, do you know any reason that NT cannot be upgraded to 8.0.23.0 and used at least temporarily on Windows 7 without any expectation of help with OS-related issues?

Comment

Hello caveat_lector,

The reason would be that we would not support the use of Windows 7 in case any issues arise with the use of the platform while using it - our first and only recommendation would be to update to a supported operating system. As it is no longer supported, it has not been tested on that operating system and we cannot support any issues that may come up.

Comment

I have the same problem. I am currently using Windows 7 Pro 64-bit and NinjaTrader version 8.0.21.1. I have .NET 4.7.1. It is working great and no issues. Can't I just continue to trade using the version I have on Windows 7? If I don't change anything and just keep using it as is, what might go wrong?

Comment

Hello counterpoint,

Theoretically if you do not upgrade to the latest version you could continue to use the one you have. However, should an issue arise with your outdated platform, we would not be able to provide support until you upgraded to a supported Operating System and version of the platform. Because of the lack of security updates since Windows 7 is no longer supported by Microsoft, we cannot guarantee everything will continue to work on that OS.

Comment

Let me ask two further questions for clarification. My trading computer is only used for trading. The only time I have even opened a web browser (Chrome) was to send an email to support (log and trace files). Other than connecting to my broker on the Ninja platform and trading through Ninja, I do nothing on this computer. Is there much of a security risk in that scenario? Also, if I had or developed an issue that was already known to you from the past when my platform used to be current would you still be able to help with that? I'm happy with things as they are now, but just need to know where I stand should an issue arise. Thanks

Comment

Hello counterpoint,

I would not be able to speak to potential security risks in the scenario you've outlined. I would advise speaking with a dedicated Windows technician for information on possible security risks involved.

If you're able to install .Net 4.8 and the current version of the platform on your Windows 7 machine, and it works well, that's all fine and good.

To address "need to know where I stand should an issue arise," if the issue is unexpected and is determined to be caused by running NT8 on Windows 7 we could not dig in deeper to fix it (whatever the problem may be). Additionally, we cannot provide support for issues with previous versions of the platform, so we would need you to update to the latest version in order to provide support.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by Aviram Y, Today, 05:29 AM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post Aviram Y  
                Started by quantismo, 04-17-2024, 05:13 PM
                3 responses
                0 likes