Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

move default NT8 user folder "%USERPROFILE\Documents\NinjaTrader 8"

Hi all,

although the installation directory of my NT8 is on drive letter D:\ it automatically saves user data under "%USERPROFILE\Documents\NinjaTrader 8". This folder is growing and growing because of the huge "db" subfolder and its content. Space on C:\ is restricted and I reached the limits.

Is there any way to move that folder away from drive letter C: to another drive letter (in my case I want it on D: where I have plenty of space available) and tell NinjaTrader8 to use it instead of the default one? Any help and assistance appreciated. Thanks in advance and have a nice weekend.

Patricia

Hello patricia70,

Thank you for your note.

For the platform to perform correctly the NinjaTrader 8 documents folder needs to live within your Windows Documents folder.

You may remap the Windows Documents if you wish using the steps in this publicly available link.

As well historical data is stored within this folder and you may reduce the size of the 'db' folder by removing older historical data.

Tick data especially is known to take up a lot of space due to its granularity.

You may remove historical data from within the platform by going to the Control Center > Tools > Historical Data and following the steps within this link.

Spencer F.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hey Spencer, I have expected this already. Thanks for clarifying this. Can you provide some helpful ressources where I can read more about how "market data" is handeled. Which folders, which files, how does the Ninjatrader process looks like with the connection used, etc... I could try to filter/reduce the amount produced in future. Thanks for the links you provided, will dig further into it and see how I can free up some space on C:\ drive.

EDIT: oh my gosh. Lots of folders in there. The good thing is I can delete them by sorting out. The bad thing is, I cannot use SHIFT+leftMouseClick for a big selection to remove at once. I have to click over 100 instruments now ... The easy move would be selecting the root HISTORICAL folder and delete everything/all at once.

The biggest impact in folder size in my case is "cache" and "cot" folder which already occupying about 2GB of space.
      Last edited by patricia70; 11-27-2020, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Hello patricia70,

NinjaTrader downloads and stores data locally as you use the platform and is based on the Days to Load setting within your chart window.

If the historical data is not local on your machine the platform will use your data feed connection to download the missing Historical data and save it locally in the folder described below./

To delete the cache, follow the steps below.
        • Shut down NinjaTrader.
        • Open the Documents > NinjaTrader 8 > db folder.
        • Delete the sub-folder named 'cache'
          • you may also delete 'day', 'minute', and 'tick' to delete all historical data
        • Restart NinjaTrader and test.
        Spencer F.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by inanazsocial, Today, 01:15 AM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post inanazsocial  
        Started by trilliantrader, 04-18-2024, 08:16 AM
        5 responses