Chart Drawing Retention through Instrument Rollovers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chart Drawing Retention through Instrument Rollovers

Prior to NT version 8.0.23, chart drawings (lines, Fibs, channels, etc.) were left intact through any number of futures instrument rollovers. After a rollover, drawings needed minor adjustments to refit to the new instrument price of course, but the rollover event never deleted drawings. Now under 8.0.23.1, I just rolled equities to March and that deleted all chart drawings. That never happened before. Every drawing on every chart now must be recreated entirely. Is this new deletion behavior intentional in 8.0.23.1, or is there now a setting that I missed to retain drawings through rollovers?

Hello Lancer,

I'm noticing the same issue - On my workspace I have discovered the drawings are still present but the "Visible" tick box under properties of each drawing object is unticked. If you draw a line after you have rolled over a chart you can access Properties and then see the previous drawings and tick the "Visible" boxes. Hopefully NT Support can address this.

Best regards !!

Comment

Eric M, good catch. Apparently, instrument rollovers now automatically uncheck the "Visible" box for all manually created drawing objects. For drawing objects created by script, the "Visible" box remains checked. I strongly prefer the previous functionality, with only one step to adjust drawing objects to the new instrument prices. Adding the workload of having to first re-check every drawing object "Visible" box on every chart is not an improvement. NT developers, this is a fix item. Restore the previous rollover functionality, leaving the "Visible" box checked for all drawing objects!

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for your posts.

Drawing objects are applied for the instrument + expiry month. If you apply a drawing object in an ES 12-20 chart, it should not show up in the ES 03-21 chart. The behavior you report as per the Lines defaulting to Visible being unchecked after rollover is unfortunately as expected.

You can set drawing objects to appear in other charts that have the same instrument + expiry month as follows. Double click the drawing object to open its properties menu. Set 'Attach to' to 'instrument name (All charts)'.

You can also check Visible to return these to your chart as Lancer mentioned.

Please let me know if I may be of any further assistance.
        Marco G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Marco, For all NT versions prior to 8.0.23, drawing objects remained visible through instrument rollovers, and that was and still is the preferred behavior. Using your example, and contrary to your preference, it's highly desirable that drawing objects in a ES 12-20 chart remain visible after rolling to ES 03-21. Rather than adding another time-wasting procedural step (re-check "Visible" boxes for all drawing objects), it was much more efficient and practical as it was previously with drawing objects remaining visible through rollovers. No unnecessary step of re-checking "Visible" boxes first before doing minor adjustments to drawing objects to fit the new instrument price. If any drawing object was unwanted after the rollover, it remained visible and was easily deleted. That was and still is the preferred behavior.

This change to drawing objects visibility after rollover, requiring the time-wasting re-check of all "Visible" boxes, is an undesirable change. Please restore to the behavior as it has always been prior to 8.0.23, with drawing objects remaining visible through rollovers.

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for your post.

As per the release notes below, this was not a feature that was added in the platform with this realease:

Drawing objects will not display in a chart for the instrument that is rolled over to the next expiry month.

Drawing objects remain in the ES 12-20 chart if they are not attached to all charts of the same instrument and expiry and you set 'Show global draw objects' to False. This is as expected.

Please let me know if I may be of any further assistance.
            Marco G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I see there is nothing stated in Release Notes, but something was changed in the NT code resulting in the change in status of drawing objects' Visible box after instrument rollover. I've used NT for years, since v6 or before, and this automatic unchecking of drawing object Visible boxes on rollover is new behavior, and it is unwanted new behavior. Other users stated they are seeing this change in behavior as well. Prior to this change, always, drawing objects did remain displayed in a chart for the instrument that is rolled over to the next expiry month.

Please restore to the behavior as it has always been prior to 8.0.23, with drawing objects having properties boxes checked "Visible" remaining visible through rollovers. Create a SFT tracking number for this bug fix or change reversal. Thank you.

Also, this is not a global objects on all charts issue. I'm talking about drawing objects on one chart, with each chart in the workspace having its own unique drawing objects.

Comment

Hello,

It appears this functionality was affected in the latest release, but is fixed in the next release of NinjaTrader 8. The issue is after rollover the drawing objects are applied to the chart, but their 'visible' box is unchecked. You can re-check this box in the drawing object's settings to restore the drawing object.

Ryan S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by usazencort, Today, 01:16 AM
                0 responses
                1 view
                0 likes
                Last Post usazencort  
                Started by kaywai, 09-01-2023, 08:44 PM
                5 responses