Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Changing instruments removes all drawing objects.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing instruments removes all drawing objects.

I upgraded to the latest NinjaTrader 8.0.23.2 and charts will no longer remember drawing objects.

I start with an empty workspace, empty chart (with no defaults loaded, and no indicators etc.), then throw on a built-in drawing object (horizontal line, arrow line, etc), then change to a different instrument, then back to the first instrument, the drawing objects are gone.

Here is a video of me going through these steps.

Also, no errors or exceptions seen in trace/log files.

I uninstalled and reinstalled without change. (I tried to downgrade to 8.0.22.2, but it complained about the database being newer and I don't want to reset the database.)

I tried renaming the "templates" folder (with NinjaTrader closed), forcing all templates to go back to "default". Same behavior.

I tried renaming the "workspaces" folder (with NinjaTrader closed), forcing all workspaces to go back to "default". Same behavior.

I removed all custom indicators and drawing tools, opened up NinjaScript Editor and rebuilt successfully. Same behavior.

Removed all custom AddOns and BarsTypes, rebuilt, restarted NinjaTrader. Same behavior.

Windows Update shows all is up to date, except new Windows 10 feature update version 20H2 is NOT applied. I verified that .NET framework v4.8 is installed.

The NinjaTrader Reference list still shows some references to "Framework\v4.0.30319". Is this correct? Should these reference 4.8?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by neoikon; 12-17-2020, 11:26 AM.

Hello neoikon,

Thank you very much for reporting this.

I was able to confirm this on 8.0.23.2. It seems the drawing tools stay invisible after changing back to the original instrument.

A temporary solution is to right-click the chart, select "Drawing Tools" > "Drawing Objects..." then re-enable the objects currently not set to "Visible".

I've also reported this to our Development Team for assessment and will follow-up in this regard as soon as I know more.

Thank you very much for your report!
    Manfred F.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi,

Did anything happened with the above problem?

I have noticed it too.

And I may add something: let's say that one has 2 charts opened: one with one tab (6E) and one with 3 tabs (6B, 6E and GC). If I draw something on the first 6E (the one chart one tab) and then change the chart to CL and the back to 6E, my drawings are gone.

But if I draw something on the first 6E (the one chart one tab) and then make it view globally to show also on the other 6E (the one chart with 3 tabs), it will be there even if I change to CL and back to 6E on the single chart.

Hope solving it soon!
      Last edited by nailui; 01-29-2021, 06:45 AM.

Comment

Hello nailui,

While this will be corrected in our newest version to be released in the near future, one of my colleagues created an indicator that corrects this for the time being.

Simply install the attached indicator via Tools > Import > NinjaSccript, attach it to the chart in question and it will re-enable any drawing tools when you switch back to this instrument.
        Attached Files

Comment

nailui,

I ended up writing my own indicator to solve the issue. I'm disappointed that it's been months and a hotfix wasn't put out.

The shared indicator will work, but keep in mind, it's defaulted to run on every TICK. This is overkill and a performance hit. At a minimum, set it to only run OnBarClose, but preferably only once when the chart initially loads.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Manfred View Post
            Hello nailui,

While this will be corrected in our newest version to be released in the near future, one of my colleagues created an indicator that corrects this for the time being.

Simply install the attached indicator via Tools > Import > NinjaSccript, attach it to the chart in question and it will re-enable any drawing tools when you switch back to this instrument.
            Thanks for indi!
            And when update will be released to correct this problem, will this temporary indicator affect whole performance? Should it be removed?

neoikon thanks for the idea!
            Last edited by nailui; 01-29-2021, 09:30 AM.

Comment

As this indicator only re-enables drawing tools, the performance impact is minimal and far from what you would expect from, say, a volume-based indicator that runs on every tick. Due to its 1.4 kb size, you can be certain it will not affect your charts negatively, even if it runs on each tick.

If in doubt, changing it to "on price change" or to update with each bar is always an option.

Once the newest version has been released, this script will no longer be necessary.

Comment

I think I've hit on something related to this problem. I'm running 8.024.1 64bit. It seems that now when you change instrument, the drawing tools are made invisible correctly and when you change back to the original instrument, the drawing tools reappear. However, if you: 1. draw something (say a rectangle), 2. change instrument, 3. On new instrument, hit F5 to refresh, you'll now find that in the background, every 'invisible' instrument IS being rendered - the chartscale is messed up, so they generally don't seem to show up, however if you put a breakpoint on the Rectangle::OnRender, you'll find its now being hit.... Big perf issue.
                rebelant
                NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - rebelant

Comment

Hello rebelant,

Thank you very much for your post.

Even though the most current version did not introduce any changes to the drawing objects, to my knowledge, I was not able to recreate this issue on 8.0.24.2.

Could you test updating your platform to the newest version to see if this can still be recreated?

If possible, a short video showing the steps would be ideal, if you can recreate this each time.

To update NinjaTrader, please follow the steps below:
                  • First, copy your license key from NinjaTrader under Help> License Key then exit NinjaTrader
                  • Click on the link: https://ninjatrader.com/PlatformDirect
                  • Enter your license key and press Submit
                  • Select 'Download'
                  • Critical: Before running the installer, ensure NinjaTrader is closed.
                  Thank you in advance, I look forward to your reply!

Comment

Hi - updated to latest version - same thing happens - though perhaps an extra step needed, which was left mouse clicking on the 'empty' chart. Here is a video - the bit you can't see at the bottom of the screen is me selecting 'reload NinjaScript'. As soon as i click on the empty chart I get the rectangle OnRender breakpoint getting hit. Prior to the reload ninjascript, this doesn't happen.
                    Video linked...
                    MediaFire is a simple to use free service that lets you put all your photos, documents, music, and video in a single place so you can access them anywhere and share them everywhere.
                    rebelant

Comment

Hello rebelant,

I was able to reproduce that as well after attaching the Visual Studio debugger and after reloading NinjaScripts.

I'm not expecting this so I have reported the matter to our Quality Assurance team. I will be following up with more information as it becomes available.
                      JimNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks Jim - any confirmation of the problem from QA yet ?
                        rebelant

Comment

Hello rebelant,

Thanks for your patience.

We have gotten word back and the Development team has applied a change to address this in the next release of NinjaTrader 8.

The ticket ID is NTEIGHT-14910. The number for the ID will be noted in the Release Notes page of the Help Guide when a new release is available that contains a fix.

Please note that we cannot offer an ETA on release schedules.

Release Notes - https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...ease_notes.htm

Thanks again for bringing this to our attention.
                          JimNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Great news, thanks Jim
                            rebelant

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by stafe, 04-15-2024, 08:34 PM
                            6 responses
                            0 likes