Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

How to improve NT8 performance where a Workspace has many (same instrument) charts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to improve NT8 performance where a Workspace has many (same instrument) charts

NT Team,

I conform to many of the NT8 performance tips (NinjaTrader 8): close unneeded Workspaces, Charts, Indicators, Drawing Objects, etc. However, I fall afoul with a Workspace with many charts based on the same instrument (many time-frames, three TradingHours templates). This presents a problem where running a Strategy, periodically significant memory usage can cause NT to freeze (I believe).

The Workspace has a Strategy that uses the same time-frames and TradingHours templates. The Strategy prints trades and diagnostic data to the Output Window. After market close, I review the details in the Output Window and overlay against the (many) charts.

The Strategy does not require the (many) charts to run. When the Strategy is run without the (many) charts, the memory usage is near half relative to when the Strategy is run with the (many) charts. However, the Output Window is cleared when switching to the workspace with (many) charts.

I am looking for a solution to has :
    1. Improved performance (i.e. removing the chance of a NT freeze due to memory usage)
    2. The Output Window details
    3. The (many) charts
    Ideas to improve performance :
    1. Run Strategy without (many) charts
      • Copy Output Window details to Word document (or similar)
      • Close Workspace and open Workspace with (many) charts
      • Review as normal
    2. Run Strategy with (many) charts
      • Minimise all charts and set all Indicators to IsSuspendedWhileInactive (NinjaTrader 8)
      • However, IsSuspendedWhileInactive is ignored when Indicators are running in Automated NinjaScript Strategies
      • Confirmed BUSTED.
    3. Run Strategy with (many) charts
      • Reduce the number of TradingHours templates on the charts
      • Create a button(?) to quickly switch between Chart TradingHours templates
    4. Run Strategy with (many) charts
      • Create a button(?) to remove charts
      • Use button to populate and arrange all required charts
    5. Upgrade hardware.

All thoughts are welcome.

Hello Shansen,

I think idea #1 would have the most effect. As you mention, memory usage is half without the workspace with many charts. Ideas 2-3-4 would not affect memory usage as much as idea #1. I can't think of any other ideas that would be better than your idea #1.

JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Jason,

Thank you for your quick reply.

Where I am trying to find a solution that is not Option #1, is there any of the other options or other ideas that have merit?
      I appreciate, other solutions may not be as effective as Option #1.

Again, thanks
      Shannon

Comment

Hello Shannon,

Unfortunately I don't see how you can create a button to switch templates or remove charts. I'm not a programmer myself and would not know if this can be accomplished in NinjaScript. Nor do I know how this would affect memory usage. Perhaps you can limit the amount of charts or data series in charts to reduce the chance of NinjaTrader freezing.

JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by frankthearm, Today, 09:08 AM
        5 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post NinjaTrader_Clayton  
        Started by jeronymite, 04-12-2024, 04:26 PM
        3 responses
        0 likes