Changing autobackup location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing autobackup location

If I do an autobackup and choose a different folder and check the "remind me every friday" box it does remind me every friday but it seems to save it to the default backup folder and not the folder I manually selected when its doing it every friday. Is there a way to control this? Using NT 8.0.23.0 64 bit.

Thank you.

Hello zharrison,

At the current time, NinjaTrader will always default to the Documents > NinjaTrader 8 Backup folder, there is no way to modify this on a global level.

While we have considered enabling a change and manual selection, this could lead to backups accidentally being saved in folders the customer might not have intended and could even lead to lost backups and unretrievable data.

To keep this from happening, we've decided to use this folder as the default every time a backup is created and then let the customer change this individually.

I hope for your understanding of why we decided against enabling a fully customized backup location.

Please let me know if you have any further questions!
    Manfred F.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Manfred View Post
      Hello zharrison,

At the current time, NinjaTrader will always default to the Documents > NinjaTrader 8 Backup folder, there is no way to modify this on a global level.

While we have considered enabling a change and manual selection, this could lead to backups accidentally being saved in folders the customer might not have intended and could even lead to lost backups and unretrievable data.

To keep this from happening, we've decided to use this folder as the default every time a backup is created and then let the customer change this individually.

I hope for your understanding of why we decided against enabling a fully customized backup location.

Please let me know if you have any further questions!
      I second this request. I just lost my computer and recovered EVERYTHING because I had it on OneDrive...except for NinjaTrader data, indicators, scripts, etc. Automated backups don't help much in this scenario if we have to manually intervene each time. My two cents.

Nick

Comment

+1,I vote for the option to change the backup destination. Backing up data to the same medium as the original is not backing up, it is negligent and destroys any sense of security, see experience of user nduckste (Nick). In general a backup on the same disk or location is not a solution. It needs to be shifted to another location.

Comment

Hello zharrison, nduckste and patricia70,

I've submitted a feature request to our development team to consider implementing a permanent change to how the backup location is selected, e.g. by adding the location to the Options-menu.

I have added three votes to this request and will follow up as soon as I have an ID associated with it.

Thank you in advance for the suggestion!

Comment

Thanks for listening and support Manfred. Have a nice day.

Comment

Until it becomes native functionality in NT, what I've done is make sure backups happen daily to the default folder and then I have a scheduled tasks that picks up anything new and copies to a OneDrive folder. Here's the XCOPY command for anybody that wants to use it:

xcopy "<source>" "<one drive destination>" /M /Y

/M - Ignore files if they have already been copied
              /Y - Don't prompt

Now that I've done that, new functionality in OneDrive (at least new to me) can actually back up Desktop, Documents, etc. folders by default. I believe DropBox and other cloud storage services can do the same so copying backups is moot.

Thanks.

Comment

The internal tracking number for the feature request to change the backup folder permanently is SFT-443.

When a feature request is implemented, you'll find a description of the new feature in the release notes:

Please don't hesitate to let me know, should you have any further suggestions!

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by mattbsea, Today, 05:44 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post mattbsea  
                Started by RideMe, 04-07-2024, 04:54 PM
                6 responses
                0 likes