Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Computer Configuration to Optimize Ninjatrader 8

Hello,

I have been Ninjatrader Customer since 2008 and I have had a lifetime License since 2012. I also use various third party software including Nexgen and so many others. I also optimize my Ninjatrader everyday by following the steps mentioned by Mbox Wave here: https://mboxwave.com/ninjatrader-platform-maintenance. The following is my PC Confituration

1) Installed Memory (RAM) = 32 GB
    2) Processor Intel (R) Core (TM) i7--3770 CPU @ 3.40 GHZ
    3) 4 Cores and 8 Threads

Question for Ninjatrader Platform Support:

Is this computer not good enough? I am considering purchasing a new computer for the sole purpose that my NT does not crash again. In the past, I have seen, my charts take up to 1 hour to load. So I had to not load all of the data and I have to not use all of my 3rd party indicators. But the whole point of having Ninajtrader is so that to use so many 3rd party indicators which is available in NT eco system.

Kindly advise what kind of things I should be looking for when I buy a new computer so that my Ninjatrader does not crash. I was told by one person that no matter how many cores I have, Ninjatrader would only use 1 core. Is this correct? I assumed having 32 GB memory / RAM would be good but even with 32 GB my Ninjatrader constantly keeps on crashing. So is core more important than RAM? If so, if I go and buy a computer with 16 or more cores then would that fix my Ninjatrader crashing problem? Will Ninjatradre use all 16 cores? Is this the solution?

I want to be able to use various third party indicators and not wait for 1 hour for Ninjatrader to load the charts. And I don't want Ninjatrader to keep crashing. Hence I am looking into buying a brand new PC. But I need some suggestions.

For a new PC that can optimize Ninatrader 8 what should be
    1) The first priority (cores? threads?)
    2) What should be the second priority? RAM?
    3) Third priority?

Thanks in advance.

Happy New Year!

Hello,

Thanks for the post.

Your PC exceeds the recommended system specifications to run NinjaTrader 8 and we could not advise you further about which PC to get besides ensuring it meets the recommendations listed in the link below:

https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...quirements.htm

We will certainly leave the topic open so other users may suggest hardware that has worked for them if they like.

NinjaTrader 8 does not have a cap on how many cores it may access. Each instrument is assigned its own unique thread and there is no "limit" to how many threads can be utilized in the platform. NinjaTrader 7 on the other hand can only access one core.

It is important to keep in mind that each instrument is assigned a thread when looking at performance; as a broad example, if someone had a workspace with 30 ES 03-21 charts it would run a lot slower than the same workspace with each chart set to a different instrument.

As for your specific case, the behavior you describe is not expected, but to help identify the specific cause of the crashing behavior we would need to take a closer look at your system. If you would like us to help identify the cause of the crashing behavior, pelase write in to PlatformSupport[AT]NinjaTrader[DOT]com and include your diagnostic files.

You can attach the files following the steps below:
    • Send the 2 compressed folders as attachments to this email.
    • Once complete, you can delete these compressed folders.
    • Right click on the 'log' and 'trace' folders and select Send To> Compressed (zipped) Folder.Open your NinjaTrader folder under, "Documents" (sometimes called, "My Documents")
    Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Melissa J.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thank you Melissa. Right now, I am going to do a complete re-installation of Ninjatrader 8 and all my 3rd party indicators. Typically I would look at 10-15 charts of the same instrument. So this would slow down performance since it is using the same core. So just wondering if there are any "recommended" number of charts and workspaces that we can have open.

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for the reply.

There is not a hard number of recommended charts, as the content of the charts matters more than the number, and this can vary greatly depending on the types of indicators you use.

I have provided a link below to our Help Guide that goes over performance tips that explain in detail each item you should consider when optimizing your workspace for performance:Please let us know if you have any further questions.
        Melissa J.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi,

Just thought I'd list the specs on my trading desktop. This has been the most stable system I have ever had. I don't even remember the last time my computer crashed from any program/apps.
          I think the main problem you may be having is your cpu, which came out almost a decade ago. But a full rebuild will most likely be in order.

My Trading Desktop:

TUF gaming x570-plus motherboard
          32 gig RAM
          Ryzen 3700x CPU
          RTX 2070 Super
          GTX 1080 TI
          1 TB SSD
          2 TB USB Removable Drive
          750 watt Battery
          Cooler Master mesh h500p Case
          Windows 10 Pro
          2x 24 "AOC Monitors

There are much faster computers than mine but this one has been really solid.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by Waxavi, Today, 02:00 AM
          1 response
          0 likes
          Last Post NinjaTrader_LuisH  
          Started by alifarahani, Today, 09:40 AM
          5 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post NinjaTrader_Jesse