New User Checklist NT8 Multi-broker setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New User Checklist NT8 Multi-broker setup

Hi, I am new to NT8 and just wrapped up my quick trial period. I have few questions that I need help with:

Context: I purchased NT8 Life time(Multi-broker) and just opened an account with Phillip Capital and funded it. My main brokerage is TD Ameritrade, which is what I use to day trade/swing trade.

Goal for the next week or two is go get my connections and brokerage setup correctly, but run for a week or two in simulation mode. I intend to develop and back test strategies first and test on historical data and life data during the week until I am comfortable live trading in either Phillip Capital or TD Ameritrade. I have also purchased a set of indicators/strategies that I intend to test first before deploying.

Questions:​​
    1- What are my options for historical and life data? I am assuming opening a brokerage through NinjaTrader (Phillip Capital) doesn't mean I get both real-time data and brokerage at the same time.
    2- Is it sufficient to use TD Ameritrade for real-time and historical data if one isn't available by means of setting up brokerage through NinjaTrader?
    3- After setting up connections (Only TD Ameritrade is working for me now since the demo connection expired), is the proper setup is to choose that connection preference through Tools > Options > Market Data?
    4- In that menu, I am not sure what's the difference between NinjaTrader and NinjaTrader Continuum for each of the instruments I have. Can you shed some light?
    5- If I want too change trading from NinjaTrader Brokerage to TD Ameritrade or vice a versa, is it just a simple change of choosing the account in strategies, trading, etc? Or are there settings I should consider when attempting to switch? It's very likely that I will trade futures through NinjaTrader Brokerage, but stocks and other instruments on TD Ameritrade.

Overall, I am confused by the number of settings applicable to multi-broker setup, data sources (Historical vs real-time) and their application for backtesting/strategy and have not found the documentation, videos, etc to provide simple and straight forward instructions that are a bit more global as opposed to piece meal.

if my questions are more appropriate for a direct follow up with NT Support, please let me know If that's a better approach.

Thanks.

Hello mgalal,

1. You will get access to realtime and historical futures data with the NinjaTrader Continuum connection. Your TD Ameritrade connection will provide stock (options) data. See the link below under 'Understanding the data provided by your connectivity provider' which shows supported providers and what data they support.

Please see the following link for information when using multiple connections in NinjaTrader.

2. No, as TD Ameritrade does not support futures data in NinjaTrader.

3. Yes, you can setup preferred connections. Use TD Ameritrade for stocks and your NinjaTrader Continuum connection for futures.

4. I'm not sure what connection is referred with "NinjaTrader". Could this be your demo connection? Make sure you select your NinjaTrader Continuum live account connection (when it is available) as preferred connection for futures.

5. Yes, the account selected in the Account field of the order entry window (SuperDOM, ChartTrader, etc) determines where orders are submitted to.

JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Jason,
      Thank you for the reply. Should I expect to receive further details on Continuum connection information since my demo connection expired? It's safe to assume that I will receive details I need to setup my brokerage (PC) and live data, as well as preferrential commissions (Lifetime purchase) sometimes in the next few days?

Thanks again.

Comment

A quick follow up request after reviewing the data provided by TD Ameritrade. Is that data sufficient for building/testing a strategy? If so, is that data sufficient for also executing that strategy? Just wondering if (
        Historical Tick Data Historical Bid/Ask Minute Data Historical Bid/Ask Daily Data Historical Bid/Ask Tick Data
        )
        Is required? or is that dependent on the strategy I define and whether is operates over time/bars or tick bars, right?

Thanks

Comment

If a demo connection expires, I don't see why further details of a Continuum connection would be received. I'm not really sure if I understand. You get information from the NinjaTrader brokerage team in regards to opening a live account that uses NinjaTrader Continuum. I'm not sure when this information is provided, but I don't think this information is provided because a demo connection expires.

Yes, you will receive this information from our NinjaTrader brokerage team. Please note that I work in the platform support team only. For any account related items, please contact the NinjaTrader brokerage team.
          If you have any questions, concerns or feedback, or want to open an account, we're here to help. Click here to find the appropriate contact for your needs!

BROKERAGE SUPPORT
          [email protected]

It depends on what data the strategy requires. TD Ameritrade supports historical minute and daily data as seen in the matrix. It does not support data where it says No.

Comment

Thanks. My question was originally technical, which is the brokerage account and credentials provide live data feed as well or not. I'll ask the account team.

Comment

The NinjaTrader Continuum connection provides realtime data for the instruments that are enabled for your NinjaTrader Continuum connection. Please work with the NinjaTrader brokerage team to enable the instruments you like for your NinjaTrader Continuum connection.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by algospoke, Yesterday, 06:40 PM
              2 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post algospoke  
              Started by ghoul, Today, 06:02 PM
              3 responses
              0 likes