Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Draw Limited Size Horizontal Line on chart

Hi,

I need a horizontal line but not infinite horizontal line that F6 provides.

I want to be able to use F2 and force the line to be horizontal. In TWS for example, I can hold down the CTL key while drawing a line and it forces the line to be horizontal.

How could I do that in NT8 please?

Hello stevenev1,

Thank you for creating your post with these details.

By default, the Horizontal line drawing tool will plot the horizontal line across the entire chart. If you wish to be able to plot a single horizontal line that does not extend the entirety of the chart, there are a few workarounds.

One option would be to select the 'Rectangle' drawing tool (CTRL + F12) then click the starting point, and when you plot the secondary point, when you leave the mouse on the same level, this would create a horizontal line.

Additionally, you can use the Fibonacci Retracement drawing tool and change the settings so it would plot a horizontal line.

Draw a Fibonacci Retracement, then double left-click on the retracement to edit the properties to:

- Do no show text
    -You can make Anchor line transparent
    - Disable all levels except for either the 0% or 100%
    - Save as Default

Now when you plot the Fibonacci retracement line, when you keep it near the same level of the original plot, this would create a horizontal line.

I have made quick a video demonstrating how you can accomplish this on your platform by showing these two examples: https://www.screencast.com/t/u9H9IGAv

Please do not hesitate to reach out to us with any other NinjaTrader questions or inquiries in the future.

Comment

HI Brendan, tnx. I tried both approaches and they do work. I like to recommend a direct implementation of this feature for future versions. I draw a ton of small horizontal lines while day-trading and I would think everyone else is doing the same.

Comment

Hello Stevenev1,

Thank you for responding with this feedback.

There is a feature request for this feature to allow drawing tools to snap horizontally/vertically when pressing Shift/Control as you have mentioned. I have added a vote on your behalf. This feature is being tracked with the tracking id: SFT-2546

Please reference this internal tracking number when contacting Platform Support if you ever have questions regarding this feature request. When a feature request is implemented, you'll find a description of the new feature in the release notes:Please do not hesitate to reach out to us with any other NinjaTrader inquiries in the future.

Comment

Many thanks!

Comment

Would you please give an update on SFT-2546? I agree many traders would like this and I would like this too.

Comment

I've attached a version of Ninjatrader's line tool that supports holding Left-Shift to draw a straight line. I made this change more than 4 years ago and submitted it to the Ninjatrader team for consideration for inclusion. It is a very simple change. I don't know why they have not adopted it.

Download the attached file and replace the existing version in C:\Users\user\Documents\NinjaTrader 8\bin\Custom\DrawingTools

Then open the Ninjascript editor and right-click/compile.

Then you can draw straight lines using left-shift on the standard "line" tool.
              Attached Files

Comment

Thank you. It works great after I compiled it.

Comment

I think they calling it Horizontal Ray

Comment

Thanks. It worked for me

Comment

Added the attached file, Using Left shift & F6 now draws a RAY, this already exists in drawing tools. This is not a straight line.

Comment

As of NinjaTrader 8.0.27.0, you are now able to use the default Line drawing object (F2) and hold SHIFT depressed while drawing it.

This would limit it to 45-degree angles, allowing you to easily draw smaller horizontal, vertical, or diagonal lines.

If you have not yet updated to this version, please follow the steps below:
                        • Login into the NinjaTrader Account Dashboard
                        • Click "Download" in the bottom left-hand corner of the sidebar
                        • Next select "Download" in the "Most Recent Release" Window on the main screen
                        • Once the installation had downloaded, ensure any previous version of NinjaTrader is closed before running the installation package.
                          • Note: You may need to locate this in your "Downloads" folder in a Windows File Explorer
                        After the installation package is completed you will be able to log into NinjaTrader Desktop with the connection guide linked below.

Connecting in NinjaTrader Desktop

Please let me know if I may be of any further assistance!
                        Manfred F.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by kevinenergy View Post
                          I've attached a version of Ninjatrader's line tool that supports holding Left-Shift to draw a straight line. I made this change more than 4 years ago and submitted it to the Ninjatrader team for consideration for inclusion. It is a very simple change. I don't know why they have not adopted it.

Download the attached file and replace the existing version in C:\Users\user\Documents\NinjaTrader 8\bin\Custom\DrawingTools

Then open the Ninjascript editor and right-click/compile.

Then you can draw straight lines using left-shift on the standard "line" tool.
                          This Man saved my life hhh, thank you

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by DJ888, 04-16-2024, 06:09 PM
                          3 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post NinjaTrader_Erick  
                          Started by RookieTrader, Today, 07:41 AM
                          0 responses
                          0 likes