Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Does the DOM update faster than charts? Is the DOM a 'resource hog'?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does the DOM update faster than charts? Is the DOM a 'resource hog'?

Hi all,

Not much of a DOM trader, but I want to start using it for faster order management. So, yesterday, I set up my charts like normal, but now with the DOM to my far right.

While the load time can be slow, Ninja always seems very responsive and non-lagging in real time trading.

However, yesterday, I had issues. My charts simply seemed slow. ES during the open. Fairly volatile. Upon comparision, I saw that the DOM was jumping up and down while my charts weren't ticking up/down in the same fashion. Is this normal?

I also noticed that the chart trader (using it on a 1000 volume chart) wasn't updating properly in real time, i.e., it lagged. This was also evident as an order was GREEN, i.e., in profit, on my screens, but all of a sudden I was stopped out. And no, there wasn't a huge spike. It simply didn't update properly.

I'm writing off yesterday as a possible anomaly, but it's the first time I noticed this and I can't help but be curious if the problems could be attributed to the DOM?

Any thoughts or similar experiences?

Best regards,

Johnny

Hello Johnny,

Thank you for your post.

From your description it sounds like you may be experiencing rendering delay.

This may occur due to a complex workspace or excess workspaces being open and the platform to not be able to keep up with the current market if it is taking too much time to calculate the information and then render it on your chart window.

This may also occur due to a resource heavy indicator or indicators as well.

I would first recommend closing any workspace(s) that you do not actively use as well as review the Performance Tips Page for NinjaTrader 8.

Additionally, to see what (if any) NinjaScript items may be contributing to the symptoms, please open the NinjaScript Utilization Monitor:
    • Control Center > New > NinjaScript Output
    • Right-click within the NinjaScript output window > Select 'NinjaScript Utilization Monitor...
    • This window will begin to populate with NinjaScript items in order of time spent processing
    • Let this window populate for at least a few minutes then send me a screenshot of it's contents
      • To send a screenshot with Windows 7 or newer I would recommend using Window's Snipping Tool.
      • Alternatively to send a screenshot press Alt + PRINT SCREEN to take a screenshot of the selected window. Then go to Start--> Accessories--> Paint, and press CTRL + V to paste the image. Lastly, save as a jpeg file and attach the file as an attachment.

Spencer F.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi, Spencer,

Thanks for those resources. I'll look into that upon repeated problems. It's possible yesterday was an anomaly. I only have one workspace, but I do have some custom indicators. It's the first time this was a problem, though.

The specific question relates to the DOM, though. Is it something which requires a lot of processing power/CPU usage?

Comment

Hello Johnny,

The SuperDOM does not require a lot of processing power as it is a real-time only window. Your charts would require more processing time/power as it needs to calculate the values for your indicators from the historical data to then render it on your charts.

Spencer F.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks, Spencer.

I have not had any issues since this, so likely it was a one-time occurrence.

Johnny

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by cre8able, 02-11-2023, 05:43 PM
          3 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post rhubear
          by rhubear

Started by frslvr, 04-11-2024, 07:26 AM
          8 responses