Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Ninjatrader 64bit on Windows 10 Insider for ARM PC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, you may send your diagnostic files from either version of the platform.

I look forward to being of assistance.
    Tyler M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Did anyone find a workaround to get the 64 bit version running on ARM?

Comment

FYI - When I try to run the 64 bit NT8 there are no log or trace files generated. The only ones present are from running the 32 bit version which appears to run normally on Windows 10 Pro ARM.

Comment

Are you running Windows 10 Insider Program?

In January I tried to get 64 bit NT8 on Windows 10 Insider Program running. It didn't work, so I went back to normal Windows 10 (non Insider Program), running the 32 bit version of NT8.

I would also love to find a way o run the 64 bit version.

Comment

Maybe this helps to make NT8 compatible with ARM PCs:
            Qualcom and Microsoft are releasing a Snapdragon Developer Kit for application developers to test and optimize their applications for Windows 10 on ARM PCs:

Comment

FYI I was able to get NT8 64 bit running on Parallels 17 running Win 10 ARM. In the Parallels settings I added the TPM chip, updated to the latest Win 10 ARM version and now NT8 64 bit runs.

Comment

Originally posted by RandomTask View Post
                FYI I was able to get NT8 64 bit running on Parallels 17 running Win 10 ARM. In the Parallels settings I added the TPM chip, updated to the latest Win 10 ARM version and now NT8 64 bit runs.
                Hey RandomTask, thank you for the feedback.
                Is it running without any issues?

Comment

Ninjatrader 64bit on Windows 11 arm64 Insider with UTM

I'm currently looking into the open source VM UTM (https://github.com/utmapp/UTM/releases) it supports Windows arm64 out of the box with experimental GPU support..
                  It's easyer to use than VMWare & Parrallels since you dont need any Windows-registry tricks or iso conversions..
                  Only install UTM and follow the steps for installing Windows 11 ARM 64 bits.
                  Windows 11arm: https://mac.getutm.app/gallery/windows-11-arm
                  I've used the 3.0x version as this supports GPU.

UPDATE 18jan22

Hardware: MacBookPro 16" M1-Max, 64Gb, 2T SSD (2021)

It's working UTM 3.0.3 (44) with Windows 11 arm64 + NT8-64bits + GL support works fine,

download the Windows 11 arm64 image, it works out of the box, no need for converting this image anymore as UTM can do that for you from version 3.0.3+ don't forget to also install the Spice-tools.

Spice Guest Tools installed on VM: YES
                  Helps to run your windows in full 3456 x 2234 resolution..

UTM VM Settings:
                  - Architecture: ARM64 aarch64
                  - QUEMU 6.2 ARM Virtual Machine (virt)
                  - Memory 16Gb (I have 64G in my MBP-M1-max, but 8Gb worked fine)
                  - Display: virtio-ramfb-gl (GPU Supported)
                  [X] Retina Mode

- Network: Shared, virtio-net-pci
                  - Sound: Intel HD Audio Controller (ich6) (intel-hda)
                  - Sharing: Clipboard, Directory, RO

Hope this helps...

PS NinjaTrader_Tyler what would be very helpful (improved performance) if Ninjatrader provides a native Windows11 ARM version compiled of NT8 please ? :-)
                  As far as I know its only a matter of switching on the ARM64 flag during compilation since the rest of the .NET world stays the same (I hope ;-)
                  Also see post of: mo_fi
                  Last edited by Wessel; 01-18-2022, 06:57 AM.

Comment

Does anyone know if NinjaTrader 8 64 bit will run under X64 emulation on Windows 11 for ARM? I am also interested in running it under Parallels 17 on an Apple Silicon Mac.

I understand all X64 emulation requires Windows 11 now rather than Windows 10.

If it does run, how does it run (performance wise)?

Thanks.

Comment

I'm running NT8 on Parallels 17.1.1 on a MacBook Pro with the 10 core M1 Max. It runs fine but is slow. Just starting NT8 takes over a minute. By comparison, my Mac mini Core i7 running Windows 11 in bootcamp starts NT8 in under 20 seconds. So, yes, NinjaTrader needs to provide an ARM64 compiled version of NT8 and then I expect the performance to exceed my Core i7 machine. By comparison, TradeStation 10 runs great in Parallels on the M1 processor.

Comment

Can we get a request tracker going for an ARM64 version? Based on Wessel's comment above it should be a quick implementation.

Comment

I'm running NT8 on Parallels 17.1.1 on a MacBook Pro with the 10 core M1 Max. It runs fine but is slow. Just starting NT8 takes over a minute. By comparison, my Mac mini Core i7 running Windows 11 in bootcamp starts NT8 in under 20 seconds. So, yes, NinjaTrader needs to provide an ARM64 compiled version of NT8 and then I expect the performance to exceed my Core i7 machine. By comparison, TradeStation 10 runs great in Parallels on the M1 processor.
                          Thanks for your reply RandomTask.

Just curious, how much total RAM does your M1 Max have? How much RAM/CPU cores did you allocate to the Windows 11 virtual machine?

You mentioned the startup is slow. Are indicator calculations also slow? Is the user interface laggy once everything is loaded and calculated or is it acceptable?

At least it does in fact run under emulation.

I asked them if there were any plans on their roadmap for an ARM64 version and they said they weren't even planning it a while back. I wonder if that has changed now?

Thanks.

Comment

M1 Max, 10 core, 32 GPU cores, 32Gb RAM. I’ve played around with the settings but not really tried to optimize them. I think it’s currently set to 8 cores and 16Gb but none of the settings make NT8 behave much different. Once it’s loaded it’s workable but I haven’t extensively tested it since it was so slow to load.

I hope they reconsider an ARM version especially if it is merely a compiler flag. For any Mac user wishing to use NinjaTrader their boilerplate response has always been to use virtualization. Since all Macs going forward will be Apple Silicon, it would be rather shortsighted not to make an ARM variant.

Comment

M1 Max, 10 core, 32 GPU cores, 32Gb RAM. I’ve played around with the settings but not really tried to optimize them. I think it’s currently set to 8 cores and 16Gb but none of the settings make NT8 behave much different. Once it’s loaded it’s workable but I haven’t extensively tested it since it was so slow to load.

I hope they reconsider an ARM version especially if it is merely a compiler flag. For any Mac user wishing to use NinjaTrader their boilerplate response has always been to use virtualization. Since all Macs going forward will be Apple Silicon, it would be rather shortsighted not to make an ARM variant.
                              Thanks again RandomTask.

I'm not sure if this was the cause or not - from https://www.techrepublic.com/article...on-is-working/

For best performance, run applications twice: the first time the code is being converted to run on Arm; the second time it’s running from the cache (and some further optimisation has been done by Windows while it’s cached, improving performance further).
                              Maybe the second time would be faster?

Also, allocating too many CPU cores can actually slow your virtual machine down, not giving the host operating system enough resources to run properly. Maybe try 5 for MacOS and 5 for Windows 11 ARM.

Apparently X64 emulation on ARM is a work in progress and is improving all the time. It's possible some improvements have been made since you last tested.

Comment

I did reset the cores back to the Parallels default and there is no change to the load time. Once running it seems acceptable but I have my doubts about trading live or running strategies. Does anyone have a benchmarking tool for NT8? Perhaps I'll write one so I can do an apples to apples comparison.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by f.saeidi, Today, 08:01 PM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post f.saeidi  
                                Started by Rapine Heihei, Today, 07:51 PM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post Rapine Heihei