Connection Performance Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Connection Performance Issues

Connecting (or reconnecting) to a Connection nearly always freezes NinjaTrader for several seconds. It is usually very obvious and causes a major performance hit for a short period of perhaps as much as 10-15 seconds or more, depending on the situation.

In these days of multi-threading and asynchronous tasks, it is surprising that a core activity such as this has so substantial and broad an effect that it can even freeze multiple standard NinjaTrader windows. My sense is that the factors contributing to this may include the number of Accounts configured, the number of them that are connecting, where those Accounts are connecting to, etc. However, even a single connection on one Account can manifest the issue.

A simple example that I have seen show the effects is to define a handful of simulation accounts and connect to any Connection. Try a variety of Connections too. The FREE NinjaTrader Forex connection can manifest this. I'm in Australia, so one might consider that there may be some contribution by virtue of network distance, but I don't believe it is so because if I connect to more local data feeds, the effect is still there. "Production" broker connections can be very slow, but even that aspect should be irrelevant.

Waiting for any connection, regardless of how long it takes, should not "hang" other non-connection-dependent parts of the platform. Network speed itself is certainly not a problem in my testing, and even if it were, I don't believe it should manifest as frozen UI elements (e.g. Control Center, Editors, etc). [And by "frozen", I mean unresponsive, but more obviously, various window title bars become white along the top for a period.] And neither is system performance an issue in my case, nor should it be in any case if "merely waiting" for a connection.

Points for consideration include that connecting should not have any significant or noticeable effect on the UI in any respect other than a lack of market data to drive market-data-driven UI activities (e.g. charts). I would not expect to see windows freezing and other threads freezing too (e.g. any real-time clock display "stops" for the duration).

Thanks for looking into this. It's something that can be investigated without a specific piece of code or one well-defined specific circumstance. NinjaTrader is such a superb piece of software engineering generally, so this behaviour presents a challenge that I would like not to have happening when I use it, nor to have to code to provide "comfort" to users of any AddOn software I write when it happens, and for users not to have to experience at all.

Many thanks.
    Multi-Dimensional Managed Trading
    jeronymite
    NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Mizpah Software

Hello jeronymite,

Unfortunately this behavior can occur when you connect in NinjaTrader. It can become unresponsive during the connection period.

I have submitted this as a feature request to the Development Team so connecting does not affect the responsiveness of windows in NinjaTrader. I will follow up with an internal tracking number for your reference as soon as it is created.

Thanks in advance for your patience.
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Many thanks indeed, Jason! NinjaTrader is marvellous in so many ways ... but this is not one of them, so I really look forward to "the big freeze" being gone.

Thanks.
      jeronymite

Comment

Thanks for your patience.

The internal tracking number for your feature request is SFT-5190. Please reference this internal tracking number when contacting Platform Support if you ever have questions regarding this feature request.

When a feature request is implemented, you'll find a description of the new feature in the release notes:

Comment

Wondering if there has been any progress on this.

This issue causes easily visible window freezing and redraw issues and can last more than a minute, during which time, not only is the platform unusable, but the visible disruption to the platform is quite disturbing.

I note that this should not be a "feature request" since it is use of normal functionality that has a major performance impact on normal usage.

As a software developer of decades, I think this has all the hallmarks of work done on the UI thread that should be done elsewhere. This may or may not turn out to be the case, but it would be a sensible place to investigate in the first instance.

I would request this be addressed as a performance-related software defect to be addressed with some urgency.

Thanks.
          Last edited by jeronymite; 05-31-2021, 06:47 PM.
          jeronymite

Comment

It is still on the list. Unfortunately I don't have any further information.

Thank you for your feedback.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by tkaboris, Today, 08:01 AM
            0 responses
            1 view
            0 likes
            Last Post tkaboris  
            Started by BarzTrading, Today, 07:25 AM