Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Help - NT8 won't start and I cant uninstall, reinstall or repair. OneDrive Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help - NT8 won't start and I cant uninstall, reinstall or repair. OneDrive Issue

Ninja crashed and will not com back up. I see a message about a bad custom assembly that was restored back and telling me in need to reinstall Ninja. When I try and reinstall it's looking for files on OneDrive which I never intended to ever use. When I try and uninstall I also get a missing @@Bartypes.cs file that is missing on the OneDrive directory but I do see on my local drive. I also tried to run the repair and that doesn't work either.

Early on I tried to disable OneDrive as I never intended to use it for anything other then doing a manual back occasionally. Somehow Microsoft manipulates the path names inserting OneDrive to force files being save and utilized from OneDrive.

I'm dead in the water without Ninja Trader running and have no idea what to do to fix this and get it up and running hopefully from my local PC and never OneDrive.

I will be up all night if anyone can help me get it up and running I would really appreciate. I took a backup on Friday but prefer to not loose an of my data if possible. I need this to work in the morning and appreciate your assistance.

thank you

glen
    212 433-0872 cell

I uninstalled OneDrive and Ninja came up but when I tried to run a complete backup it's telling me there are files in an incompatible state that will be excluded but the backup is running. Not sure what they were referring to. I was doing some strategy building so perhaps there was an error in a strategy.

I noticed a post on how to install Ninja without using OneDrive as I'm certain that this will happen again. Now that OneDrive is uninstalled I would like to follow the procedure below:

Is this procedure still valid and I don't understand in the beginning it states he is providing a license key to be used and in the last sentence it states "this is where you will need to input your license key". Which license key should be used in this procedure.?

Is the version in the link PlatformDirect the latest NT8 version?

Thank you.

I have included instructions on how to reinstall the NinjaTrader platform below. With this procedure you will not lose any Workspaces, Charts, custom items etc. You'll need a license key for this procedure, which I've included below. These steps wont affect your current license key (if different):

Please follow these steps:
    • Close all running applications.
    • Make sure NinjaTrader is closed from the Windows Task Manager:
    • Press CTRL + ALT + DEL on your keyboard > Start Task Manager...
    • Then from the Start menu select --> Control Panel --> Add and Remove Programs or Programs and Features
    • From Add and Remove Programs select NinjaTrader 8 and click Remove.
    • Restart your PC.
    • After NinjaTrader is uninstalled, navigate to the following folders and delete any "NinjaTrader 8" folders located here if any: C:\Program Files (x86)\
    • or
    • C:\Program Files\
    • Once these steps are completed, download and install NinjaTrader from the link below:
    • http://ninjatrader.com/PlatformDirect (* This is where you will need to input your license key to download)
    We look forward to assisting.
    Last edited by NinjaTrader_Jason; 02-02-2021, 01:40 AM.

Comment

Another problem I am seeing is when I right click strategies only a few strategies are showing up but they do show up in the NinjaSscript Editor list of strategies?

Comment

Although the strategies appear to be in the Strategies folder and do not show up in a right click on chart for strategies, when I open them in the NinjaScript editor and try to compile i get compiler error messages for BarTypes.cs saying they are already defined. How can I correct this problem?

thank you

Attached Files

Comment

Hello demarcog,

Yes, the instructions are still valid. I edited your post to exclude the free license key (we can't post it on the support forum). You would enter your live license key when you download NinjaTrader from our website. If you don't have a live license key, you would enter the free license key.

Yes, the link will direct you to a webpage that has the latest version.

I'm not a programmer myself, however the forum thread at the link below handles similar compiling errors. Can you please check if you have duplicates files.

Go to the Documents\NinjaTrader 8\bin\Custom\BarsTypes and ChartStyles folders and check if duplicate files are listed. If so, please delete them when NinjaTrader is shut down. Start NinjaTrader and compile again.
          JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

HI Jason,

Thank for the helpful response.

I don't see any duplicates but I do see the files appended with my laptop machine name. It looks like during one of the install attempts duplicates existed and the newer similarly named files were changed with my laptops name. At this point should I just uninstall and install with the link mentioned above.

Comment

I don't think an uninstall/reinstall using the instructions at post #2 will solve the compiling errors as you will keep the Documents-->NinjaTrader 8 folder which contains the files mentioned in the compiling errors.

I suggest to proceed as follow.
              • First, please make a copy of the license key entered at Control Center-->Help-->License Key as you need it to download NinjaTrader.
              • Make sure NinjaTrader is shut down.
              • Uninstall NinjaTrader 8 via Windows start menu-->Settings-->Apps.
              • Rename the Documents-->NinjaTrader 8 folder to 'NinjaTrader 8 Old'.
              • Download and install the latest NinjaTrader 8 version from the link below.
                https://ninjatrader.com/PlatformDirect

This will install NinjaTrader fresh on your computer. I assume you don't experience the compiling errors now.

If you then shut down NinjaTrader and rename the new Documents-->NinjaTrader 8 folder to 'NinjaTrader 8 New' and the old folder back to 'NinjaTrader', do you experience the same compiling errors again? If so, I suggest to switch the Documents-->NinjaTrader 8 folders once more to restore the new Documents-->NinjaTrader 8 folder and then manually transfer settings between these folders. You can find file locations below.

Workspaces
              Documents-->NinjaTrader 8-->workspaces

Database (ATM Strategy templates, Session templates, Instrument Lists / Custom Instruments and historical trade execution data)
              Documents-->NinjaTrader 8-->db-->NinjaTrader.sdf

Chart templates
              Documents-->NinjaTrader 8-->templates-->Chart

Market Analyzer templates
              Documents-->NinjaTrader 8-->templates-->Market Analzyer

Other templates
              Documents-->NinjaTrader 8-->templates-->Strategy, Indicator, etc

Historical data
              Documents-->NinjaTrader 8-->db-->day/minute/tick folders

Market Replay data
              Documents-->NinjaTrader 8-->db-->replay

Indicators
              Documents-->NinjaTrader 8-->bin-->Custom-->Indicator

Strategies
              Documents-->NinjaTrader 8-->bin-->Custom-->Strategy
              JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

HI,

So far so good. I'm about to copy the custom indicators and strategies and there are many in the old folders that have the machine name appended.

Do I exclude, copy or rename them all back to the original names removing the machine name?

thank you

glen

Comment

Hello demarcog,

Thank you for your reply.

Exclude any and all files that have the name of your PC appended. Duplicate files in the file structure can cause variety of undesirable symptoms, such as the compile errors you are receiving.

Please let us know if we may assist you further.
                  Zachary S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks Zachary,

TI can do that my only concern was things like HeinkenAshi.cs and Ichimoku.cs will not be carried o the new installation.

Thank you again for your fast responses I'm sitting here reloading looking for my next step and it's greatly appreciated how quickly NT support responds.

For anyone reading this in 30 years of working IT I've never experienced anywhere close to the fabulous support provided by the Ninja Support Team. This support team are "Rock Stars" across the board, IMHO, response time, knowledge of the product, dead on resolutions to some very complex problems, pages of the most helpful comprehensive responses I've ever seen, with links to videos, documentation, other posts, always more then happy to help.

If you are skeptical and I have no dog in this fight try opening a ticket, with eSignal, Tradestation, Sierra Charts, TOS (which hangs on me for several minutes everyday), Microsoft, IBM, Oracle, SAP, etc. etc. and see how long you wait and how terrible the response, if you get one, you are basically on your own.

Thank you Ninja Support.
                    Last edited by demarcog; 02-02-2021, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Zachary,

Success it's up and running, can't thank you enough! I need to import a few trivial components, ichimoku, unirenko etc but so far so good. Thanks for saving my buttocks.

glen

Comment

Hello Glen,

Thank you for your response and your very kind words!

Glad to hear that you are back up and running, and I will make sure to pass your feedback along.

Please let us know if we may assist with any additional inquiries in the future.

Comment

Hi,

When I tried to compile anything I am getting compiler error messages it looks like for every custom and add on strategy/indicator?
                          Attached Files

Comment

Hello Glen,

Thank you for your response.

It looks like we will need to just re-add some .dll references and re-compile. To add the missing references;
                            1. Right-click within the NinjaScript Editor window and select "References".
                            2. Click "Add".
                            3. Locate the .dll file for the file mentioned in the error.
                            4. Click "Open" to add the reference.
                            5. Click "OK" and recompile.
                            In case you are more of a visual learner, a video of this process is also publicly available and may be accessed from here.

Comment

Hello demarcog,

My name is Melissa and I am a Team Lead with NinjaTrader Platform Support.

I wanted to thank you for the feedback and kind words regarding Zachary and your recent experience with Platform Support. Zachary is a very valued member of our support team and your comments further reinforce that. I will be sure to share your comments with the team and consider your note at the time of his next performance evaluation.

As always, please do not hesitate to contact us for any NinjaTrader inquiries you may have.

Happy trading!
                              Melissa J.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by kujista, Today, 06:23 AM
                              4 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB  
                              Started by traderqz, Yesterday, 09:06 AM
                              2 responses