Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

System Locking me out consistently using an Add-on MQ Gravity Lines.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

System Locking me out consistently using an Add-on MQ Gravity Lines.

Hello,

I use and indicator MQ Gravity Lines and I realize I can't recommend a product on the forum but would like very much to be able to use it.

I have been having issues all day today with my system locking out so badly that I have to close down most of my charts to even get in to try and diagnose the problem. I did see one message about some type of read/write deadlock situation. My control panel is actually locked out I cannot activate the Log to see if there any messages.

One possibility is I installed a new version of an MQ Gravity Line indicator last night. I spoke to the developer on a prior occasion and sent him a Ninjascript monitor snapshot. (see firt attached image).

This indicator was at the top of the monitor and the total of processor utilization was consuming at that time what appeared to be more processor utilization then all the other listed in the report combined. The indicator draws horizontal lines based on things like, 30 minute opening range, prior days high/low, London session 30 minute range and some averages similar but better levels then the typical floor pivots.

They sent me an improved version and I installed yesterday. I included a Ninjascript Performance monitor for a short period the system was up and it's again at the top of the list. That is the second screen image attached. Ninja wasn't up that long as I was trying to get it going and restarted a few times.

The strange thing is I removed the indicator from every chart and the numbers for utilization was still increasing and my system still disabled. resources?

Would this type of processor activity be sufficient to hang NT8, as I can't say for certain and would like to know for sure and also do not want to report to the developer if it happens to be something else. I don't want to unfairly criticize or accuse anyone for a problem that may be unrelated. They are a great team of developers and traders at this particular firm that.

What do you recommend I do at this point, the indicator is useful but I haven't been able to do any trading at all today and want to insure this doesn't happen again? Every time I restart it locks up on me and I can't export it fast enough on startup?

Thank you very much for your help.

glen
    Attached Files
    Last edited by demarcog; 02-03-2021, 11:50 AM.

Hello Glen,

To first explain exactly what the NinjaScript Utilization Monitor displays: This window records how much processing power each indicator, bar type, or chart object uses.

As a rule-of-thumb, since this is in ms, each second, all values combined should rise by less than one second.

If you notice one of the numbers goes up significantly faster than the others, it would indeed indicate a potential performance issue.

Adding all times in this window up, the overall processing power would be about 24 minutes (1,481,000 ms). That means if this window was open for 60 minutes, and only shows these results, I would not be too worried about these values.

If this was recorded in less than 30 minutes, however, it would indicate that some of the indicators indeed use too much performance to ensure a stable trading platform.

One potential culprit, in this case, might be additional, open workspaces.

If you have already removed this indicator from all charts and still see it using resources, it might be open on a chart residing on a different workspace that is running in the background.

To explain why (and how) multiple workspaces lower your system's performance:

Any workspace that is open, even if it is currently running in the background, will request data for all its charts and indicators, draw these indicators, and keep everything up-to-date.

Especially if a workspace is complicated, contains volume— or tick-based charts or indicators, this can take a significant amount of your system's performance for a workspace not currently visible.

To identify which workspace is closed and which is open, please take a look at your list of workspaces:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Workspaces.png
Views:	259
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	1139710

Any workspace that is closed would not have an icon next to it.

The currently active (visible) workspace will have a green icon, while any workspaces that are open and not currently visible will have a grey icon.

To close a workspace (this will not remove it but simply disable it from receiving real-time data) please hover over one of the workspaces and select "close".

If you have workspaces on your list you no longer require you may also "remove" them after closing them, this will delete them from this list.

While you can still reopen a closed workspace, it will take a few additional seconds for NinjaTrader to restore all charts and update the missing information.

As long as all additional workspaces are closed and this indicator is removed from the chart, it should no longer appear in this window.

For more performance tips, please also review the following Help Guide:

Should you have already closed any background workspaces and still encounter these performance issues, please let me know!
    Manfred F.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Manfred,

Wow thank you for the amazingly informative post it was very helpful indeed. I appreciate the tips on workspaces and I did close all others and was still locked out.

With the indicator loaded the CPU was flat out 100% (see attached) and NT unresponsive.

When I removed the indicator NT worked normally after the initial data load where the CPU usually goes flat out for 1-2 minutes loading up 30 or so charts. I use a lot of indicators and the non-native bar types like Unirenkio, HenkenAshi overlay which may be more CPU intensive then the native types but I don't know that for sure.

See the attached "normal" CPU utilization of about 30% for my computerwhich primarily runs NT and TOS with a browser open for emails.

Thanks for the help for now I'm leaving the indicator off although it is amazing how the market responds to the Gravity Lines generated by the indicator, many times to the tick reversing, or providing support/resistance.

Between yesterday 's Onedrive fiasco where I had to reinstall NT much manually and todays problem I've not done any trading in two days.

As always thanks for the awesome assistance it is greatly appreciated.

Attached Files

Comment

Hello Glen,

Thank you very much for your reply and praise!

One detail I've noticed in your screenshot is the memory usage.

Do you have "Tick Replay" enabled on these charts? If the charts load a significant amount of historical data, it might be the indicator simply has trouble getting through this. Loading fewer days should cause it to run more reliably in that case.

If in doubt, I would also suggest discussing your settings (both, of the data series and the indicator) with the developer of this indicator. It might be a single setting that causes it to require significantly more performance if enabled.

Should you have any further questions in this (or any other) regard, please don't hesitate to let us know!
        Manfred F.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by BarzTrading, Today, 07:25 AM
        2 responses
        1 like
        Last Post BarzTrading  
        Started by devatechnologies, 04-14-2024, 02:58 PM
        3 responses
        0 likes