Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Charts on startup taking a inordinate amount of time loading.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charts on startup taking a inordinate amount of time loading.

Hi,

I had an issue where OneDrive caused a file permission sharing conflict and totally trashed my NT8. With the help of many support staff practically dedicated to my getting back up I was able to reinstall and eventually get back all the customized elements from my original version.

Not sure if it's related but sine then it's taking a flat out 100% CPU 5 to ten or longer minutes to load a chart of 20 days worth of data. See attached indicator and data series screens for one of the charts NQ 03-21.

I realize I can load less days, and also change several indicators from on each tick to on price change or bar close, but this is the way I've been running and at start up opening 20 charts it would take a minute or two but not 20 or 3o as I'm seeing now.

At first I though it was a MQ Gravity Line Indicator as in the Ninjascript Performance monitor it was consuming a larger percentage of the clock time with its CPU ms utilization and start up would never complete, hung at 100% CPU the entire time. I removed the indicator and was able to start in a few minutes. Now I'm seeing a very long lag.

To complicate things further. OneDrive destroyed NT8 and I uninstalled it and followed the steps to disable it. Regardless when I look in the log for an report of that indicator it still copy the export zip file to /user/glen/OneDrive/glens OneDrive/fNT directory/file.zip. Support suggested I call Microsoft. If anyone want to know how good ninja Support is, then call Microsoft Support, it's esentially non-existent in my experience but will give it a try.

Any suggestions on this slow start up as I literally missed the entire opening half hour waiting for my charts? I attached the indicators and Data Series parameters.

Any help would be appreciated.

thank you,

glen

Attached Files

Hello Glen, thanks for writing in.

First, try refreshing your cache folder:
    • Shut down NinjaTrader.
    • Open the Documents > NinjaTrader 8 > db folder.
    • Delete the sub-folder named 'cache'.
    • Restart NinjaTrader and test.
    If this does not help, start up a new workspace (Workspaces>New) and use only NinjaTrader bar types and indicators. Do you get the same problem with a new workspace? If not, the third-party tools you are using would need to be investigated further. The first thing to test would be adding the third party indicators to the new workspace, then close down NinjaTrader and test the start up performance. If that does not work, I would recommend a complete uninstall/reinstall of the addons, then test performance again.

I look forward to hearing of your results.

Chris L.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Chris,

Thank you for the great advice will give it a shot as soon as I can.

Will let you know.

Comment

Chris,

Refreshing the cache had me worried for a few minutes, two charts were "calculating" and my NQ and ES were completely blank for about a minute. I'd never seen that happen before but once the loading/calculating CL and GC charts finished loading they were populated. Is deleting the cache when experiencing performance problem something that is recommended in that situation in general?

thank you for your help,

glen

Comment

Hello Glen, thanks for your reply.

It would be recommended to clear the bar cache if you are getting long loading times for no good reason. The reason it fixed it depends on the bar type you were using as well as the third party indicators that were in use, so I can't tell the exact reason this fixed the issue, but clearing it gives NinjaTrader a blank slate to load data from so I'm glad to hear it helped with the loading time. The initial loading time will be longer after deleting the cache because the cache needs to be rebuilt.

Please let me know if I can assist any further.

Edit:

I wanted to clear up things about clearing the cache in NinjaTrader as a "fix", it is not the first thing that should be done in most cases. The first thing users should do is make a blank chart within the platform with no indicators or templates loaded. 20 days of tick data is quite a lot of data, so using tick by tick indicators with Tick Replay enabled can take a while to load even with no indicators applied. Depending on how fast the PC is, it can take 10-20 minutes in some cases. If the chart loads properly, start adding the custom indicators you were using one by one and test the performance of each indicator. If some indicator is taking a long time to load, reduce the number of days being loaded and see if performance improves.

Last edited by NinjaTrader_ChrisL; 02-05-2021, 02:45 PM.
          Chris L.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Chris,

Understood thank for fixing my problem and explaining when to delete the cache.

glen

Comment

Hi Glen,

Happy to hear you were able to resolve the performance problems by clearing cache.
              On a personal Windows 10 computer with all of it's bloatware, 20 charts and multiple indicators per chart can hog up a lot of resources.

A popular recommendation in your case is to move your trading to a server. Would highly recommend checking out https://www.ninjamobiletrader.com/
              They have reliable low cost servers with 12GB of RAM and dedicated multi core CPUs which can simultaneously handle dozens of charts, indicators, strategies, etc. without any lag. An optimized 12GB RAM server will always outperform a home windows 10 computer.

They're also listed on the NinjaTrader ecosystem: https://ninjatraderecosystem.com/sea...biletrader-vps

Originally posted by demarcog View Post
              Chris,

Understood thank for fixing my problem and explaining when to delete the cache.

glen

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by pechtri, 06-22-2023, 02:31 AM
              9 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB  
              Started by frankthearm, 04-18-2024, 09:08 AM
              16 responses
              0 likes