Install to D: drive and the following path error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Install to D: drive and the following path error

I have installed to the D: drive for space issues, and am having this startup error:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	NTError.png
Views:	448
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	1141521
    Can we alter this path? And where is this path setting?

Thanks

Hello SysDoc,

Thank you for your post.

This message is occurring because NinjaTrader is looking for necessary system files but cannot find them. NinjaTrader is hard-coded to install it's files to the default location of your 'Documents' folder. It is not possible to change this hard-coding. Our general recommendation is to re-install NinjaTrader entirely on the C: drive.

With that said, it's possible to change the default location of your Documents folder on your PC. This would cause NinjaTrader to also use the new default location of your Documents folder (please note that you may need to reinstall NinjaTrader after moving the folder location). We do not have any direct steps that we advise as this is a Windows operation. If this is something you'd like to do, I'd suggest searching the web for "how to relocate the documents folder" and you'll likely find information on that topic.

Please let us know if we may assist you any further.
    Zachary S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I reinstalled to the C: and now have these errors.

Name:	NtError2.png
Views:	434
Size:	2.7 KB
ID:	1141546

Name:	NtError3.png
Views:	434
Size:	2.3 KB
ID:	1141547

any thoughts?

Comment

Our general recommendation is to re-install NinjaTrader entirely on the C: drive. <<< Have tried this too and posted the two errors that occur

With that said, it's possible to change the default location of your Documents folder on your PC. This would cause NinjaTrader to also use the new default location of your Documents folder (please note that you may need to reinstall NinjaTrader after moving the folder location). We do not have any direct steps that we advise as this is a Windows operation. If this is something you'd like to do, I'd suggest searching the web for "how to relocate the documents folder" and you'll likely find information on that topic.

The default "Documents" folder has already been changed and the installer did create the D:\Users\UserName\OneDrive\Documents\NinjaTrader 8 directory, along with the D:\Users\UserName\OneDrive\Documents\NinjaTrader 8 Backup and D:\Users\UserName\OneDrive\Documents\NinjaTrader Backup

The above error was not an error on the "Documents" directory, rather it was an error on the path "C:\Program Files (x86)\NinjaTrader 8\bin\Custom\BackupNinjaTrader.Vendor.cs" and the installer does allow the install directory to be changed. And was changed to D:\Program Files (x86)\NinjaTrader 8\.

Please see the prior post, where the NT install was left to the default install path.
        Last edited by SysDoc; 02-12-2021, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Hello SysDoc,

Thank you for your reply.

I'd like to take a deeper look into this by reviewing your log and trace files, if they exist. This will give me more specific information about the location of the installation directory and the data directory. There are likely multiple things coming into play with this since I see that the file paths seem to be located on OneDrive, which can potentially cause file access issues.

Please follow the steps below to manually email your log and trace files.
          • On your PC, open the NinjaTrader folder under, "Documents" (sometimes called, "My Documents")
          • Right click on the 'log' and 'trace' folders and select Send To> Compressed (zipped) Folder.
          • Send the 2 compressed folders as attachments to an email to platformsupport(at)ninjatrader(dot)com (in the email, input the phrase 2966579 Attn Zachary)
          • Once complete, you can delete these compressed folders.

Thanks in advance; I look forward to resolving this item.
          Zachary S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

For those that may run across this post with similar issues, it would be constructive to post the solution. Since NT uses the "Documents" folder for storage, OneDrive was causing issues either at install or runtime or both. So, closing OneDrive and installing to either the boot drive C: and a larger D: drive (both were tested and worked; the installer has the driveath that you can alter at install) with my "Documents" and "Downloads" folders also on the D: drive, then before starting NT, removed the NT folders that were created in the "Documents" from syncing within the OneDrive settings. Then NT would startup without issue.

Comment

Hi SysDoc,

Just adding a data point..

I ran into possibly similar significant issues just as I switched my backup directory to other than C: I am an not sure if the issues were because it was not the C: partition or because of drivers, physical cabling or a different physical drive type .. or something else.

Given its the weekend and you might not see a reply until Monday I am posting to share that if I see an issue like this that might possibly not be just internal to NT8 and I wanted to get up and running soon the fast path forward is to:
              1. Copy the existing "NinjaTrader 8" to another name
              2. Reinstall NT8
              3. Copy in all files or just key files from ..\bin ..\templates ..\workspaces
              4. Copy in the previous database Ninjatrader.sdf file and possibly more from ..\db
              5. Copy in the previous UI.xml
              6. Merge into the new Conifg.xml security related sections and data connection related sections from the previous Config.xml
              7. Configure NT8 to only use the C: partition for backups... for everything
              .. and I would expect to be back up an running pretty quick..

HedgePlay
              Last edited by hedgeplay; 02-13-2021, 02:55 PM.

Comment

hedgeplay,

Curious to know how you would configure the backup dir to another location. My backups folder did not appear till I had a successful load of the application. Also regarding your steps below some comments & ?'s.
                1. Copy the existing "NinjaTrader 8" to another name
                2. Reinstall NT8
                  Here, after I had a successful start of the application I copied back into my Documents folder my NinjaTrader 7 directory, and on the next start of the application, NT 8, detected the old NT 7 folder and offered to import from that old install.
                3. Copy in all files or just key files from ..\bin ..\templates ..\workspaces
                4. Copy in the previous database Ninjatrader.sdf file and possibly more from ..\db
                5. Copy in the previous UI.xml
                6. Merge into the new Conifg.xml security related sections and data connection related sections from the previous Config.xml
                7. Configure NT8 to only use the C: partition for backups... for everything

Would really like to know how you accomplish altering the backup location.
                .. and I would expect to be back up an running pretty quick..

HedgePlay[/QUOTE]

Comment

[QUOTE=SysDoc;n1141755]hedgeplay,

Curious to know how you would configure the backup dir to another location. My backups folder did not appear till I had a successful load of the application. Also regarding your steps below some comments & ?'s.
                  Reinstall NT8
                  Here, after I had a successful start of the application I copied back into my Documents folder my NinjaTrader 7 directory, and on the next start of the application, NT 8, detected the old NT 7 folder and offered to import from that old install.
                  I did not pick a question in the colored text, but if there is I would say the NT support team would be much better positioned to answer questions about importing from previous installs.

Configure NT8 to only use the C: partition for backups... for everything

Would really like to know how you accomplish altering the backup location.
                  I did not pick out another location for backups. After burning some time on debugging I decided this was the wise path forward for now:
                  1. Stay with the default NT8 expected directory structure, make no directory location changes.
                  2. Cut and relocate all but the last two backups. Simply occasionally manually bulk copy out all backups into two separate archive locations and permanently delete those backup files from the default backup location.
                  3. I found reliability of my restores increased when I adopted this practice. If ever executing a restore of one of those previous backups copied I will not try to restore from one of those archive locations but rather copy the archived backup files into the default backup directory on C: partition and then execute the restore.
                  Further:
                  1. Only very, very rarely execute full backups because the bulk of disk space is consumed by tick data and market data that can be easier downloaded again. And if I do I archive these right away so my default C partition is not burdened by the size of the backup.
                  2. I very frequently execute "thin" backups including just listed in post #7 above and as I pretty frequently prune my ..\workspaces and ..\workspaces\recovery subdirectories these thin backups do not take up very much space and so are of no concern to me to leave the last few in default NT8 directories.
                  I learned to appreciate backups and archives that were well pruned and cleansed near to time of creation so I have felt no need to invest to get out of the manual aspects these processes.

Bonus Comment: Given the skills that come through in your posts I encourage you that I found my backup and restore concerns and planning work melted pretty fast by just looking under the hood to see what is really getting backed up when and how. Then figuring out how to execute a full manual backup and restore of each of the various components when needed. NT8's underbelly It is really not that complex.. and that is a good thing.

HedgePlay
                  Last edited by hedgeplay; 02-15-2021, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by cre8able, 02-11-2023, 05:43 PM
                  3 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post rhubear
                  by rhubear

Started by frslvr, 04-11-2024, 07:26 AM
                  8 responses
                  1 like