NinjaTrader runs slowly when there are a lot of drawing objects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NinjaTrader runs slowly when there are a lot of drawing objects

I've noticed that NT runs slowly when I have a lot of drawing objects on my charts. I have 16GB of RAM so I wouldn't think that would be the issue. I'd like to figure out if there's something I can upgrade on my computer so that it runs quickly and smoothly with as many drawings on my charts as needed. Will upgrading the RAM help? Or is it the video card, or something else entirely?

Hello EnveousColnago,

You can experience slow and unresponsive behavior in NinjaTrader if you have many charts, indicators and other windows opened depending on market volatility as well.

The 'Calculate' setting for indicators and strategies can be important. If set to 'On each tick' or 'On price change', the indicator/strategy will be calculated on each incoming tick. During high volatility this can be very CPU intensive especially if the indicator/strategy makes complicated calculations. If you set it to 'On bar close', the indicator/strategy will only be calculated at the end of each price bar.

Could it be you have workspaces opened in the background? Please go to Control Center-->Workspaces. If you see a green icon in front of the workspace, it indicates the workspace is opened and displayed on your monitor. If you see a grey icon, the workspace is opened in the background. Meaning you don't see its windows, but it will use CPU and RAM. You can only have 1 workspace display on your monitor at a time. Please close the workspaces running in the background and check if the slow behavior persists.

More tips and suggestions to improve the performance of NinjaTrader can be found at the link below.

If you notice that RAM usage is very high or maxed out then it would be beneficial to upgrade the amount of RAM.

In addition, make sure you have the latest drivers installed for your video card. If not, please install the latest drivers while NinjaTrader is shut down.
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Next time NT runs slowly, open up task manager (control + alt + delete) and look at the detailed processes tab. How is the CPU and Memory %? If the CPU or Memory % is approaching 100%, upgrading those could help.

If I may, another option is to trade over a server instead of your home computer. A dedicated server for trading will always outperform a similarly spec'd home computer. Our entry servers with 2x CPU cores @ 3.9 Ghz each and 3.5 GB of RAM can handle dozens of charts, indicators, and drawings smoothly.

Would highly recommend checking out https://www.ninjamobiletrader.com/ if you want to learn more.

NinjaTrader ecosystem: https://ninjatraderecosystem.com/sea...biletrader-vps

Originally posted by EnveousColnago View Post
      I've noticed that NT runs slowly when I have a lot of drawing objects on my charts. I have 16GB of RAM so I wouldn't think that would be the issue. I'd like to figure out if there's something I can upgrade on my computer so that it runs quickly and smoothly with as many drawings on my charts as needed. Will upgrading the RAM help? Or is it the video card, or something else entirely?
      Vendor_NT_Mobile
      NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Ninja Mobile Trader VPS

Comment

I'd take NinjaTrader_Jason advice... the problem is probably just a configuration issue. We wrote an article on 14 performance improvements you can do to optimize your NT8 (. And also did a video showing you all the steps called "Make NT8 Faster"
        xabcdtrading
        NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - XABCD trading

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by mmenigma, Yesterday, 03:25 PM
        1 response
        0 likes
        Last Post NinjaTrader_Gaby  
        Started by kujista, Today, 05:44 AM
        0 responses