Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Is NinjaTrader 9 in development? will it be natively adapted for MacOS? web version?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is NinjaTrader 9 in development? will it be natively adapted for MacOS? web version?

Hello

I think that like me, many other people also would like to know if NinjaTrader have plans for next NinjaTrader 9 version, maybe finally for both, Windows and Mac, and hopefully being currently in development.

In the situation the answer be yes, or at least this is being analyzed, then could be possible to have a new NinjaTrader version compatible with both, Windows and Mac and keeping the indicator development in C#? I don't know, maybe with a kind of light virtualization to keep the compatibility with the current NinjaTrader 8 indicators, or as C# comes from Microsoft then it would necessarily mean to redo everything from scratch in a new multiplatform programming language like Java or something similar? because to have a good optimization, both at the same level, I don't know if the best solution would be something like have a future NinjaTrader 9 for Windows in C# and another NinjaTrader 9 for Mac in Objetive-C.

Maybe want to have it all, (1) compatibility with the current NT8 indicators/add-ons, (2) multiplatform, (3) also maybe a web version, (4) and want that everything works perfectly solid, optimized to not to increase the actual computer resources requirements, maybe this would be a request too ideal to be met, not because it is impossible but maybe it would not be a time-efficient project. I don't know because this is just an assumption, but why not? let's dream for a while with the best possible result.

With that being said, actually I'm not a Mac user but it would be great to have for example a desktop PC for the main and heavier trading tasks, and when you are travelling or just when you want or need to work with an ultra-light computer, powerful and always fresh like the new Mac with ARM chips, to have the option to use that kind of alternatives for certain moments. And yes, I perfeclty know there windows ultrabooks that phisically can met with what I describe, but not the same battery life, not the same hardware performance (CPU/GPU), of course talking about the new ARM versions and the future ones that could be even better.

This post is not for Mac fanboy, or for Windows fanboy, this is not a geek site with "experts in the Mac expertise" or any similar of that. Here we are talking about flexibility to choice, because If we could have a Windows "next-gen" laptop then it would be perfect, but to have something similar, with most of the Windows x86 programs running in ARM (if possible), with 18-24 hours or more of battery life, with a heavy-duty powerful hardware with most of the time cool temperature, ... how long it could take to have something similar? at least 5 years? well, the idea is this type of devices is available now, since 2020, and not in 2027, so it would be great to be able to take advantage of thatin a near future. Why not?

Thank you

Hello futurenow,

Thank you for your post.

While I cannot share information as to what is currently in development, we do have feature requests for both a native Mac version and a web version. I would be happy to add your vote to either or both of these if you have not already submitted a vote. As to what NinjaTrader 9 will be supported on when it eventually comes out, I have no information to provide at the current time.

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance to you.

Kate W.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

A web version would be really useful, not mac...

Comment

I truely doubt if this kind of Mac version, ARM version requests would linger for how long before it dies and would be of any significance to NT.
        But I surely know one thing -> these requesters are not serious real money traders.
        I came to NT simply because of IB and I hate anything that's Java based.
        Ninjatrader, please focus your resources on making NT8 modern and performance-wise, on par to NT7. Please put efforts to attract real traders to come to you, to buy a license and subscribe to Kinetick. Please listen to real and serious users and not those freebie-seekers who just do a casual free download and make comments on this and that. They, in my opinion, are only magazine readers who makes phone calls to Boeing and ask for an alternative to SpaceX as they want more options for their trip to Mars. Do you know how frustrated and furious it is when the market is in sharp moves, the PnL is ticking -8k in seconds while the trading chart is lagging 5 to 10 minutes? Have you programmed in Objective-C? How much do you know about optimization?! Come on, please give me a break!!!

Comment

Hi FutureNow

Might add your vote and comments to plead our case or a link back to this post in this thread
          https://ninjatrader.com/support/forum/forum/ninjatrader-8/platform-technical-support-aa/107166-ninja-for-mac/page6

Posting there will auto-subcribe to that thread so you can more easily track the conversation over time.

HedgePlay
          Last edited by hedgeplay; 03-06-2021, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Whilst I have no objection to NinjaTrader being IT-platform agnostic (Windows, Mac, Unix, web), it only makes sense for NinjaTrader LLC to invest time, effort and real dollars into developing and enhancing versions for the IT platforms that will generate revenue through license purchases. For the foreseeable future, that is almost certainly only Windows.

For Mac, there are options available to run NinjaTrader for Windows non-natively. It's perhaps not ideal, but it certainly can work. Web would be interesting, but there are other players in the market (e.g. TradingView) that also make it a hard case to argue. If the "portability" aspects of the NT8 architecture and code make it "relatively straightforward" to do either of these (or even Unix), then it may be reasonable to place some investment in these ... but it seems unlikely.

The best ROI for the foreseeable future would seem to be continuing the development, enhancement and improvement of NinjaTrader for Windows, and that should unequivocally leverage C# and .Net. When/if NinjaTrader 9 materialises, it will almost certainly be an evolution of NT8, still using that same IT platform architecture, and, I believe, rightly so. Many third-party vendors of NinjaTrader AddOns, Indicators, etc have invested heavily to produce C#/WPF/.Net code for NinjaTrader with many offerings that can increase the profitability of traders. These value-adds to NinjaTrader are a very significant "intangible asset" of the platform from the company's perspective.

In the near term, I would urge NinjaTrader to give focus to performance improvements, to overcome some heavy performance-degrading aspects of the application as it now stands (8.0.23.2). I note particularly that changes in Connections and requesting Bars can "freeze" NT windows for 10s of seconds. [These are things I have separately reported to NinjaTrader.]

Looking forward to NinjaTrader's continuing growth and development for the benefit and profitability of a wide range of traders.

Thanks.
            Multi-Dimensional Managed Trading
            jeronymite
            NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Mizpah Software

Comment

Originally posted by timko View Post
              I truely doubt if this kind of Mac version, ARM version requests would linger for how long before it dies and would be of any significance to NT.
              But I surely know one thing -> these requesters are not serious real money traders.
              I came to NT simply because of IB and I hate anything that's Java based.
              Ninjatrader, please focus your resources on making NT8 modern and performance-wise, on par to NT7. Please put efforts to attract real traders to come to you, to buy a license and subscribe to Kinetick. Please listen to real and serious users and not those freebie-seekers who just do a casual free download and make comments on this and that. They, in my opinion, are only magazine readers who makes phone calls to Boeing and ask for an alternative to SpaceX as they want more options for their trip to Mars. Do you know how frustrated and furious it is when the market is in sharp moves, the PnL is ticking -8k in seconds while the trading chart is lagging 5 to 10 minutes? Have you programmed in Objective-C? How much do you know about optimization?! Come on, please give me a break!!!
              So just because you think different than others do, is that enough reason to be irrespectful in your comments trying to guess and/or suggest if others are more serious traders than you.

Seriously we have to see this kind of comments like yours in a Trading Forum just like if this would be a pseudo-tech Youtube channel? seriously you waste our time talking in the way you do?

If you want to give your opinion on something with respect, you are welcome, but if not start your own thread talking about what you think about Ninja as multi-platform instead of underestimating the opinions of others.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Kate View Post
                Hello futurenow,

Thank you for your post.

While I cannot share information as to what is currently in development, we do have feature requests for both a native Mac version and a web version. I would be happy to add your vote to either or both of these if you have not already submitted a vote. As to what NinjaTrader 9 will be supported on when it eventually comes out, I have no information to provide at the current time.

Thank you for your response

Yes please, add my vote for both, Mac version and a web version.

Have a great day!

Comment

Hello futurenow,

Thank you for your reply.

I've added votes for you to SFT-230 for the Mac version and SFT-220 for the web version.

As with all feature requests, interest is tracked before implementation is considered, so we cannot offer an ETA or promise of fulfillment. If implemented, it will be noted in the Release Notes page of the Help Guide.

Release Notes — https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...ease_notes.htm

Comment

Originally posted by jeronymite View Post
                    Whilst I have no objection to NinjaTrader being IT-platform agnostic (Windows, Mac, Unix, web), it only makes sense for NinjaTrader LLC to invest time, effort and real dollars into developing and enhancing versions for the IT platforms that will generate revenue through license purchases. For the foreseeable future, that is almost certainly only Windows.

For Mac, there are options available to run NinjaTrader for Windows non-natively. It's perhaps not ideal, but it certainly can work. Web would be interesting, but there are other players in the market (e.g. TradingView) that also make it a hard case to argue. If the "portability" aspects of the NT8 architecture and code make it "relatively straightforward" to do either of these (or even Unix), then it may be reasonable to place some investment in these ... but it seems unlikely.

The best ROI for the foreseeable future would seem to be continuing the development, enhancement and improvement of NinjaTrader for Windows, and that should unequivocally leverage C# and .Net. When/if NinjaTrader 9 materialises, it will almost certainly be an evolution of NT8, still using that same IT platform architecture, and, I believe, rightly so. Many third-party vendors of NinjaTrader AddOns, Indicators, etc have invested heavily to produce C#/WPF/.Net code for NinjaTrader with many offerings that can increase the profitability of traders. These value-adds to NinjaTrader are a very significant "intangible asset" of the platform from the company's perspective.

In the near term, I would urge NinjaTrader to give focus to performance improvements, to overcome some heavy performance-degrading aspects of the application as it now stands (8.0.23.2). I note particularly that changes in Connections and requesting Bars can "freeze" NT windows for 10s of seconds. [These are things I have separately reported to NinjaTrader.]

Looking forward to NinjaTrader's continuing growth and development for the benefit and profitability of a wide range of traders.

Thanks.

Thanks for your comments and explanations, which come from the respect for the opinions of others, and in fact I agree on many of the things you say.

Regarding Windows computers, it's just the fact that seems never arrive a version of Windows and also a hardware more adapted to the current times, with hardware that can do more with less power consumption and thus be able to have laptops that are in line with what the competitor has been able to achieve.

Of course I'm not talking about serious trading from an 11-inch laptop, but it would be interesting that for specific situations like when you are traveling or in any other situation where you need high portability, high battery life, a laptop that be powerful and at the same time that stays cool, to have something you can hold with one hand. Again, I know perfectly well that there are ultrabooks on Windows, but I have tested them and I don't see that they meet all these requirements.

With my post I am talking about flexibility to choose the most convenient according to the situation in which you find yourself at a certain time.

Regarding Mac, maybe we wouldn't even be talking about all this if they had something like Wine on Linux. That would be a possible solution and Ninja could continue as it is, but we don't know how realistic it is to think that something like that will happen for now.

Anyways, the computer industry has already started a slow migration process to ARM and/or the low power consumption, which is a fact that nobody is going to stop because is the next natural step, and I imagine that at some point in the mid-term future, the x86 software would need to make a series of adaptations to run on Windows ARM, unless Windows includes a "magic feature" that can make this adaptation without the need for the developer to do anything extra.

Comment

Originally posted by futurenow View Post

So just because you think different than others do, is that enough reason to be irrespectful in your comments trying to guess and/or suggest if others are more serious traders than you.

Seriously we have to see this kind of comments like yours in a Trading Forum just like if this would be a pseudo-tech Youtube channel? seriously you waste our time talking in the way you do?

If you want to give your opinion on something with respect, you are welcome, but if not start your own thread talking about what you think about Ninja as multi-platform instead of underestimating the opinions of others.
                      I never think I think differently than others. Watch out, if you read English, this is ""Platform Technical Support". This is NOT a trading forum. Buzz off if you do not ask questions related to the technical aspects of the Ninjatrader platform (which currently runs on Windows!). You are wasting the Ninjatrader Support team's bandwidth and other users' time.

I would like to ask this channel's host to mandate strictly to questions 100% related to technical support. Thread not related to technical issues should be removed or moved to other channels.

Comment

add my vote for nt native for Mac. Thanks

Comment

Hello frasg,

Thank you for your note.

I've added a vote for SFT-230 for you as well.

Comment

add my vote for native mac/Apple.
                            The sooner I can leave Windows the better.

Comment

Hello Mindset,

Thanks for your note.

I have added your vote to this feature request.

Let me know if I may assist further.
                              Brandon H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by maybeimnotrader, Today, 05:46 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post maybeimnotrader  
                              Started by quantismo, Today, 05:13 PM
                              0 responses