Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

NinjaTrader running accidentially on two computers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NinjaTrader running accidentially on two computers?

Hello,

I have a desktop computer and a laptop where NinjaTrader is installed.

What happens if I run both NinjaTrader by accident at the same time with my license key?

Will the other computer than get logged off?

Sincerely
    Gerik

No, but it kinda depends on what you mean.

Running NinjaTrader.exe on two different PCs using the same license
    key (which, btw, is a violation of the licensing terms of service) does
    not cause the first NinjaTrader.exe on the first PC to exit.

But you said "logged off" ... this implies you're talking about account
    connections, which is a different matter.

If you connect to your broker on one of them, and then try to connect
    to the same broker on the other machine, chances are, the 2nd login
    succeeds but you will be forcibly logged out of the first machine.

In my experience, this forced logoff is more a Broker thing, not a
    NinjaTrader thing.

Does that help?
    Last edited by bltdavid; 03-07-2021, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Good reading here.

Comment

Hello David,

I do not want to violate any license, however in case this happens by accident, what will happen? Maybe because I run the license on my desktop and my laptop at the same time while I forgot to shutdown the other NinjaTrader.exe.

I read somewhere that the license will get flagged as terminated, so I am a little bit worried.

Sincerely
        Gerik

Comment

Gerik, personally I am with bltdavid, I would not worry about this at all unless you see it actually taking place cause then strange things afoot.

In my experience, for sure keep your open, but in my experience Yes, NT8 does a pretty good aggressive job of booting you out of one session or the other.

HedgePlay

Comment

HedgePlay,

thank you for your answer. However, I am still worried in case there is a license violation for whatever reason, is my license then lost, because of this flag of termination?

Gerik

Comment

I have not ever seen mention of it happening. I fully expect the helpful NT Staff to reply to here by early next week with the official response.

Comment

So I guess that the license will not get deactivated if two machines run by accident at the same time. So in case there is a conflict and I shutdown both NinjaTrader.exe and run one instance again, this instance will still work. Right?

Comment

Hello Gerik,

Your license key is not deactivated. I believe I answered your email you sent us earlier today regarding the same topic. I tested your license key on my end and it is fine.

Most broker technology connections can't be used in 2 NinjaTrader instances simultaneously. This is not related to the license key.
                  JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

You can run NinjaTrader on two different computers, at the same time, using the same license key, connected to the same live account. To do that, you need to pay for a second login ($10 /mo) and a second data subscription. Contact your broker for details.

With this setup, if your existing login is ab1122.cqg, your second login might be ac1122.cqg. Live orders entered on PC#1 will appear exactly the same on PC#2, whether DOM or Chart Trader, and can be managed the same on either PC. The only difference is that PC#1 live orders will appear on PC#2 identified as "External" in Control Center and Account Data windows. SIM orders will only appear on one PC, the local PC where entered.

This is a great solution if you trade in two locations, but don't want to shut NT down when moving between locations. It is also the solution for anyone wanting a running backup or portable PC ready to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer View Post
                      You can run NinjaTrader on two different computers, at the same time, using the same license key, connected to the same live account. To do that, you need to pay for a second login ($10 /mo) and a second data subscription. Contact your broker for details.

With this setup, if your existing login is ab1122.cqg, your second login might be ac1122.cqg. Live orders entered on PC#1 will appear exactly the same on PC#2, whether DOM or Chart Trader, and can be managed the same on either PC. The only difference is that PC#1 live orders will appear on PC#2 identified as "External" in Control Center and Account Data windows. SIM orders will only appear on one PC, the local PC where entered.

This is a great solution if you trade in two locations, but don't want to shut NT down when moving between locations. It is also the solution for anyone wanting a running backup or portable PC ready to go.
                      It may work, but it most certainly is a violation of the terms of service.

Comment

Anyone wanting a second login, just call NT and set it up. A second login is a standard NT service offering with no issues.

Comment

I don't know if that is true because I believe NinjaTrader broker allows multiple logins for simultaneous connection.

However if running on two different computers at the same time using the same license key is a violation of terms of service, then another popular option to is run NinjaTrader on a VPS. The way it works is instead of running NinjaTrader on your home computer, it is installed the server which is available 24/7. Then you can use any device (different computers, Android, iphone, Tablets, etc.) to remotely connect to the VPS where NinjaTrader is already running. Switching between different computers and device types feels very seamless.

Check out NinjaTrader ecosystem: https://ninjatraderecosystem.com/sea...biletrader-vps

Originally posted by bltdavid View Post

It may work, but it most certainly is a violation of the terms of service.
                          Last edited by Vendor_NT_Mobile; 03-08-2021, 10:54 AM.
                          Vendor_NT_Mobile
                          NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Ninja Mobile Trader VPS

Comment

Same issue here. I want to set up a laptop to use when we travel. I do not need to use both PC's at the same time. Here is what I did. I shut down NT8 on my desktop and downloaded NT8 again on my laptop from NT website. I installed NT8 on my laptop. When I started it on the laptop, it gave me an error saying that the machine ID has changed, license is disabled and NT8 is in sim mode. It also opened with the same workspace and connection configurations as on my desktop. Again, the desktop instance of NT8 was not running.

If I understand correctly for reading through posts here, I can use NT8 on either PC using my lifetime license but not at the same time. How do I go about doing this? I have the data connection set to connect automatically. Do I need to disable that and disconnect data before shutting down NT8 on the desktop then open NT8 on the desktop and connect data? Does it not disconnect when NT8 shuts down?

I had to re-enter my license key on my desktop and my live account came back up. I don't want to try the laptop again until I'm sure I won't be flagged for a license violation.

Comment

Hello RCARL1962,

NinjaTrader disconnects when it is shut down. Can you please send me an email at "platformsupport[at]ninjatrader[dot]com" so I can provide you the free license key which you can use on the computer where you will not trade live. Please put 'Att Jason, 3000999' in the subject field of the email.
                              JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by nandhumca, Today, 03:41 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post nandhumca  
                              Started by The_Sec, Today, 03:37 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes