Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roll Over of contract - Change of drawing elements

Good morning,

Please direct help regarding the contract change I made today Friday 12th in the ES instrument.

My problem is: all my drawing elements that I had in past sessions are in a different position than now when making the contract change.

In the 2 images that I attach in this message, as an example of last Monday 8th a photo taken in real time and a 2 image taken today Friday, a few minutes ago of that same session of Monday 8th, it is confirmed that I have all the drawing elements in different position. But it also happens to me with all the sessions of this year 2021.
    In Ninjatrader 7 it only affected 1 session but it did not happen in all previous sessions as it happens to me now.

Please, it is important for my analysis that these drawing elements are not altered in the correct position against the past price.

Thank you for your help.

Hello Javier,

Thank you very much for your post.

What occurred in this case, is that the drawing objects are at the same level, but the underlying data has changed.

You likely have your Global Merge Policy set to "Merge back adjusted". NinjaTrader would then use the offset value and adjust all historical data for the 03-21 contract by this value.

To give you an example, this is what the same line looks like on the ES 03-21 and ES 06-21, with this option enabled:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ES0321.png
Views:	649
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	1146298

Name:	ES0621.png
Views:	650
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	1146296

Even though both lines have the same values, one of them appears offset.

To modify whether old contracts are merged with back-adjustments or not, please click on Tools > Options > Market data, and change the "Global merge policy" to either "Do not merge" (this would remove the ES 03-21 data from the ES 06-21 chart), or "Merge non-back adjusted".

More information regarding this setting may also be found in our Help Guide:

Attached Files
    Manfred F.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hello again,

I apologize but I do not understand the answer.

I have read the explanation in the Help Guide. But I don't understand what is the difference between “Do not merge” and “Merge non back adjusted”.
      In this guide there are 3 photos and two of them have the same result. If there are 3 options.
      In the same way, I don't quite understand what I read either. I apologize for that.

In my specific case what would be so that the price I saw yesterday Thursday and all the sessions of this 2021 would be the same that I saw until yesterday and today there is a price difference for this Roll Over?

Another question I have is:
      When I have to choose the option you recommend, do I do it with the Workspace open and the data connected at the same time or do I have to close and disconnect.

Thank you and sorry.

Comment

Hello Javier,

Thank you very much for your reply.

Please never apologize for not understanding something immediately or requesting clarification, after all, we are here to help!

As the Global Merge Policy is easier explained with a sample, I've recorded a video in which I demonstrate how the global merge works, how the offset modifies the chart, and why it occurs in the first place.

You may find this video at the following address:

World's leading screen capture + recorder from Snagit + Screencast by Techsmith. Capture, edit and share professional-quality content seamlessly.

Should you have any further questions in this regard, please don't hesitate to let me know!

Comment

Thank you very much for your video Manfred,

It is such a detailed and complete explanation that I appreciate. I have watched the video several times as my native language is Spanish and I have some difficulty but I understood most of it.
          I can confirm that I have been able to make the change to the value: "Merge non back adjusted" and my drawing elements are all correct in all sessions except for yesterday Thursday the 11th but as you have explained to me I consider it logical.

One last question that may have been answered in your video but for a future Roll Over in the month of June 2021 a couple of days before, it would be nice if the Offset value was 0 ?
          This eliminates the effect of that last bar that you have explained to me or would it be damaging to the whole Roll Over and therefore we would have to leave the value that exists at that moment?

Comment

Hello Javier,

We also have Spanish speakers on our team, if you would ever prefer an explanation in Spanish, simply email us at platformsupport (at) ninjatrader (dot) com, this would be no issue at all.

The preset "Offset" is set by NinjaTrader. If you modify this offset but keep the rollover date identical, the platform overwrites this during the next launch.

If you set it to "Merge non back adjusted", however, it would always use a 0-Offset when merging and will ignore these values completely.

Please don't hesitate to let me know if you have any further questions!

Comment

Thanks for all your explanations Manfred and have a well deserved weekend.
              Best regards.

Comment

Hello Manfred,

Thanks for your explanation.

Wouldn't it be possible to have an indicator, that just changes the anchors of the user drawn drawing objects by the offset for the new contract?
                I know there is a feature request for that, but from last year.

regards
                Thomas

Comment

Hello Thomas,

I am not aware of an existing indicator that does this. I'm not certain but this may be possible.

The rollovers collection has the offsets (Instrument.MasterInstrument.RolloverCollection[rollColIndex].Offset).

Below is a link to an example indicator that looks through the rollover collection to determine the current rollover.
                  Shows a button on the chart to roll the expiry to the next available contract month. Option to hide button until a number of days before or on roll date. Another option to confirm by opening the instrument overlay selector or automatically rollover without confirmation. (Update June 27th, 2019 – Added an option to show […]

The DrawObjects collection has the drawn objects.

Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Manfred View Post
                    Hello Javier,

Please never apologize for not understanding something immediately or requesting clarification, after all, we are here to help!

As the Global Merge Policy is easier explained with a sample, I've recorded a video in which I demonstrate how the global merge works, how the offset modifies the chart, and why it occurs in the first place.

You may find this video at the following address:

World's leading screen capture + recorder from Snagit + Screencast by Techsmith. Capture, edit and share professional-quality content seamlessly.

Should you have any further questions in this regard, please don't hesitate to let me know!

Hello Manfred,

I have the same problem as the creator of this thread had
                    My drawings on the 03-22 FDAX contract, are appearing on a different place when I switch to the 06-22 FDAX contract

I've found your video very useful and I tried to fix it, but with no result

The strange thing is that no matter what option do I select in Global merge policy, the result is the same and the drawings appear on the same different place (I reload the historical data after every change, so this is not the problem either)

I even tried to set to 0 the Offset on the contract configuration

I've attached two screenshots

Name:	FDAX-0322-drawings.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	1194458Click image for larger version

Name:	FDAX-0622-drawings.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	1194460

Thanks for your attention

Attached Files

Comment

Hello AmCTrading07,

Thank you very much for your post.

I would like to take a closer look at your platform's log & trace files, as they should give us a further indication why merging without back-adjustment still causes this offset.

Could you send those files to me? You can do this under Help > Email Support. Please also leave a brief "Attn Manfred 3009860" note in it, that way we can quickly associate it with this post.

Thank you in advance, I look forward to your email!

Comment

Support. After a contract roll-over, how do we adjust our drawings? I have not found a simple answer to this question after reading everything I can find. How can we simply take all the current drawings on our charts and move them up or down to a specific amount? This should be easy to do but I can't find a way to do this. I have hundreds of drawings accumulated from the past contract that I want to simply move up to the appropriate level now that the roll over has occurred. Thanks for help.

Comment

Hello marchitect ,

Thank you for your message.

What occurrs in these cases, is that your drawing objects are at the same level, but the underlying data has changed.

You likely have your Global Merge Policy set to "Merge back adjusted". NinjaTrader would then use the offset value and adjust all historical data for the 03-24 contract by this value.

The 12-23 are different contracts with different values from the 03-24 so the drawing objects and boxes will appear offset when you rollover with the "Merge back adjusted" data policy.

To modify whether old contracts are merged with back-adjustments or not, please click on Tools > Options > Market data, and change the "Global merge policy" to either "Do not merge" (this would remove the ES 12-23 data from the ES 03-24 chart), or "Merge non-back adjusted". Then when you scroll back in time in the chart, you will see your drawing tools where you left them prior.

More information regarding this setting may also be found in our Help Guide:

https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...rge_policy.htm

Unforunately, all this will due is get your old drawings back to the level they were. The underlying reason is that the drawings were created for a different contract. So you are now working with different data and prices. There is no "Rollover All Drawing Tools" function, so this is simply expected behavior that comes with rollovers at the moment.. Many traders have to start drawing on the "new" contract as there is real efficient work around for this.

Please et us know if we may be of further assistance.​
                          Erick P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

"Many traders have to start drawing on the "new" contract as there is real efficient work around for this."

Is this a typo?
                            Is there an efficient work around for this?
                            Or are you saying, I can't simply select all my drawings and then simply move them up or down? I think what you are saying is that NinjaTrader is not capable of selecting multiple drawings and then moving them up or down. Please confirm. If so, this is really poor functionality by NinjaTrader. I don't care why this happens, it's obvious why, Because the contracts have different data points. That's not the point. The point is, how do we simply move all our drawings up or down? You are saying there is or is not an efficient way to move drawings?

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by kevinenergy, 02-17-2023, 12:42 PM
                            115 responses
                            1 like
                            Last Post kevinenergy  
                            Started by prdecast, Today, 06:07 AM
                            1 response
                            0 likes
                            Last Post NinjaTrader_LuisH