Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Charts in SIM are useless. What am I missing in configuration?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charts in SIM are useless. What am I missing in configuration?

How is this useful? I've tried several different settings but get this horrible view every time.
    Attached Files

Hello ethelfebber,

Thanks for your post.

The Simulated Data Feed is fake data that is generated on your PC. It is used for testing, and particularly useful when testing ATM strategies as you will be able to control the market direction and test your ATM strategy behaviors. It should not be thought of as a real data feed since it is just meant for testing.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions.
    JimNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks. So how do I try out a normal SIM for trying out Ninja's trading features and such? Not for testing coding?

Comment

Also, Do I need Kinetick data feed or can I use my Interactive Broker's data? The setup and understanding the basics is not at all in one place at Ninja. You think you have everything and then there's more. Not good at all for new users. I purchased a lifetime platform of Ninja for my IB account. After purchasing I was told I have to have a pro IB account to access... good to know. So now I've upgraded my IB account but it's still pending on the IB side to switch over. Was hoping I could use the SIM to continue learning and trying out the basics of Ninja. But the setup is not defined at all.

Comment

Hello ethelfebber,

ATM strategies are semi automated trading strategies that are setup with a GUI, these would not be coded. You can learn more with the publicly available resources below.

ATM 201 — https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gnyx8RSp3EI
          ATM 301 — https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DH9y-j64X1U

You can use a demo account to test real data with the NinjaTrader platform using the link below. Please note that Futures demos are provided by CQG and are limited to one 2 week demo per user per year. A link to the connection guide to connect to this account is included with the email sent, and you can reference our connection guide pages as well. NinjaTrader Continuum would be used to connect to a Futures demo when NinjaTrader FOREX would be used to connect to a FOREX demo provided by us.

FreeLiveData - https://ninjatrader.com/FreeLiveData

Connection Guides - https://ninjatrader.com/Help-Connection-Guides

NinjaTrader requires non delayed data from Interactive Brokers. Please note that Interactive Brokers does not provide historical tick data to NinjaTrader, so you would not be able to build historical Second charts, Tick charts, Renko charts or other charts that require tick data. Realtime data would be available and realtime bars may form, however.

Many clients choose Kinetick as a market data provider when using Interactive Brokers because of IB's restrictions with data pacing, and the lack of historical tick data. (Please note that Kinetick End Of Day Free only provides historical daily data.)

Please see below for more information on supported data providers and the data they offer.

Choice - https://ninjatrader.com/Choice

Data By Provider - https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...y_provider.htm

We look forward to assisting.

Comment

Thanks again for the info.

I've been getting the below error messages when trying to connect to my IB account. I'm not seeing the error messages in the troublshooting page to self diagnose. Any help?

Attached Files

Comment

Hello ethelfebber,

Can you confirm if you are seeing this on the current release of NinjaTrader 8, Release 24.1? You can check the Control Center's Help > About menu to confirm.

If you are not on the current release, you can update by coping your license key from the Help > License Key menu, and downloading an update installer from the link below. Please ensure the platform is closed before running an update.

Platform Direct - https://ninjatrader.com/PlatformDirect

After updating, please take steps to reproduce the error message. If you see this with the current build, Release 24.1, please send me an email with your log and trace files and please include any other information you can share. For example: Does this happen each time you connect, or under different circumstances? (Please be specific.)

I can be reached at platformsupport [at] ninjatrader [dot] com with the text "Attn Jim 3030754" and a link to this thread. Please then follow the instructions below to attach your log and trace files.

Attaching Log and Trace files

When writing in via email. please follow the steps below to manually attach your log and trace files to your response.
              • Open your NinjaTrader folder under My Documents.
              • Right click on the 'log' and 'trace' folders and select Send To> Compressed (zipped) Folder.
              • Send the 2 compressed folders as attachments to this email.
              • Once complete, you can delete these compressed folders.
              I look forward to assisting.

Comment

Thanks again. Another question. I decided to go with Kenetick for market data. I have both Kenetick and IB connected since my broker is IB, but I can't see my IB account info in Ninja. How do I have these connect? I can only see the SIM still...
                Attached Files

Comment

Also I'm trying to click on the Globex nonpro box and it's not letting me. I filled all of the info out to declare I'm nonpro, what more needs to be done?
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hello ethelfebber,

To trade an Interactive Brokers account you will need to lease or purchase a live license key through the link below.

Get started with our free plan to trade with discounted commissions or choose a plan upgrade to further reduce commissions on your trades.

Christopher S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks. Another question. Now I can't get live data though I've paid for Kinetick and it's setup. What's not correct now? I have IB connected for my account. I'm paying for Kinetick... What else?
                      Attached Files

Comment

Hello ethelfebber,

Connection order makes a difference in determining your preferred connection providers. If you connect to Kinetick first, it will be the preferred data provider.

Please first connect to Kinetick without connecting to IB to test downloading data and to ensure the Kinetick feed is giving the data you require. Please then connect to your IB account so you can route trades to your IB account.

Please see below for more information on Connection order, and how you can set preferred data sources per asset type.

Multiple Connections - https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...onnections.htm

Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to help.

Comment

Hello,

I keep getting a partial connection when I try to log into IB. I can't see anything with my account when this happens. It happens when I start it before Kinetick and when I try and start it after Kinetick connects.

Thanks,
                          Sarah

Attached Files

Comment

Hello ethelfebber,

I have just tested on my end first connecting to Kinetick (manually) and then to IB Gateway (manually) and I did not have an issue connecting.

Do you have any Connect on Start Up settings enabled for either connections?

Can you confirm that you are using NinjaTrader 8 Release 24.2 (You can check the Control Center's Help > About menu to check this.)

Can you also confirm that you are using IB Gateway 978.2c as is linked in our Connection Guide?

What is mentioned when you have your mouse over the connection light in the Control Center?

Can you confirm that you can see your IB account when just connected to the Interactive Brokers account?

Please include any other information that may be relevant for me to reproduce those symptoms on my end.
                            Last edited by NinjaTrader_Jim; 04-06-2021, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by swestendorf, Today, 11:14 AM
                            2 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post NinjaTrader_Kimberly  
                            Started by xiinteractive, 04-09-2024, 08:08 AM
                            4 responses
                            0 likes