Why do I always have to Reload Historical Data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do I always have to Reload Historical Data

If I have NT8 open and connected all week, and then shut it down on Friday after markets close, why do I always have missing data from the week when I re-open the platform? I always have to do a manual "Reload All Historical Data" for multiple instruments in order to backfill it. The data was there before I shut down NT8, though. Am I doing something wrong, or is this behavior expected? Is there any way to automate the refreshing of the missing historical data? NT8 never does it automatically in the circumstance that I described.

Thanks

I recommend deleting your cache to resolve this.

To delete the cache, follow the steps below.

Shut down NinjaTrader.

Open the Documents > NinjaTrader 8 > db folder.

Delete the sub-folder named 'cache'.

Restart NinjaTrader and test.

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance.
    Tyler M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I'll give it a try Tyler, thanks. Before I do, is there any other data that I will lose by deleting my cache?

Comment

Thanks for your reply.

The only thing contained in the cache is historical chart data.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Tyler View Post
          I recommend deleting your cache to resolve this.

To delete the cache, follow the steps below.

Shut down NinjaTrader.

Open the Documents > NinjaTrader 8 > db folder.

Delete the sub-folder named 'cache'.

Restart NinjaTrader and test.

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance.

Hi there,

Each time I turn on my computer or load NT8, data will reload.

I use the UniRenko bar type with tick data from a CQG provider.

I would prefer to use the data I see in live trading so I can start backtesting the data.

Are there options or best practices to do this?

Comment

Hello ij001,

Thanks for posting.

Backtesting may only be done with historical data. Below is a link with more information:

Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Tyler View Post
              Hello ij001,

Thanks for posting.

Backtesting may only be done with historical data. Below is a link with more information:

Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.
              Hi Tyler,

Thanks for the link on backtesting.

What can we do about the historical data changing from session to session each time I log on?

Thanks!

Comment

Step 1: Delete the cache See post #2.

Step 2: Manual download historical data, see Tools -> Historical Data -> Load tab.

Step 3: Use option "Record live data as historical", see Tools -> Options -> Market Data -> Real-time.

I prefer to run Strategy Analyzer disconnected from all data providers,
                so I perform Step 2 a lot, just before I disconnect to start backtesting.

As for Step 3, you'll need to experiment with your data provider to see
                if it helps or hurts. I'm inclined to enable it, even if my provider supports
                historical data -- however, I think NT Support would poo-poo that idea.

Comment

Originally posted by ij001 View Post

Hi Tyler,

Thanks for the link on backtesting.

What can we do about the historical data changing from session to session each time I log on?

Thanks!
                  Hello ij001,

Thanks for posting

This would not be expected behavior, since historical data is cached on your PC after it is loaded. If you'd like for us to investigate this on your system, please write in to platformsupport[AT]ninjatrader[DOT]com with a detailed description of the issue.

We look forward to being of assistance.

Comment

I was reading thru this post. I did experience a difference earlier this week with the price being off by .25 ticks during the live session. I noticed this once I was able to do backtest and use the historical data. Then I went back to the chart right clicked restore Historical data and that fixed the issue.

Would this issue be related? How would I know I am not getting the best data? How would I know that I need to reload historical data? Or just delete the cache?

I feel if I am not given a signal to do so, this could end up in negative performance, especially when utilizing strategies. Any suggestions?

Comment

Hello felixolmo,

Thanks for posting.

The NinjaTrader platform will use the market data that is provided through the connection to build the Charts and fill NinjaTrader with price information.
                      • NinjaTrader behaves like a radio receiver in that it receives signals from the connected server. If the signals are delayed or not coming through, we would not expect to see them in NinjaTrader
                      • Reloading the Historical data sends a request for NinjaTrader to re-request the specific market data needed to load in a chart and re-downloads the information filling in any holes or incorrect information

There are a few things to consider if comparing market data between different computers, locations, and market data providers.
                      When you select to "Reload all historical data" on a chart, the chart that appears could load in a little differently than the chart that was there before. Especially if you are using Tick charts.
                      There is no message or indication within NinjaTrader that says if you need to reload Historical Data. The NinjaTrader platform doesn't know if something is "Correct" it just provides the market data as it has been provided.
                      • If you ever notice your charts being stuck for a long period of time or nothing is moving
                      • If you notice a bar that is not a common size for that instrument
                      • If you lose connection to market data
                        • These are a few examples of when you may need to "Reload all historical data"
                        • For many of these things, we would request that you write in to Platform Support directly with your log and trace files so that we may verify the underlying cause instead of theorize

As my colleague previously mentioned, needing to reload the Historical Data every time you open NinjaTrader is not the expected behavior.
                      • If this is happening to any users, please write into NinjaTrader Platform Support directly with your log and trace files so we may look into your platform and files and diagnose the root cause.
                        • You can do this by going to the Control Center-> Help-> Email Support
                          • Ensuring 'Log and Trace Files' is checked will include these files. This is checked by default.
                          • Please reference the following ticket number in the Subject of the email: Clayton ATTN 3039875

Clayton G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by rdtdale, Yesterday, 01:02 PM
                      2 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post rdtdale
                      by rdtdale

Started by TradeSaber, Today, 07:18 AM
                      0 responses