How to Save Workspaces with Strategies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to Save Workspaces with Strategies?

Hi there, is there a way to save workspaces with the charts and strategies? When I save a workspace, of course, it saves the charts, but not the strategies active with them. My workspace has a complex strategy setup, so of course, I'd like to be able to save the complete configuation. Thanks

Hello,

Thank you for writing in.

Glad to assist. While you will need to add the strategy back to the chart on restart, you can save a template of your settings so they do not need to be set each time. In the lower left of the Strategy window, select Template > Save to save your settings.

To apply again, select Template > load.

Please let me know if I may assist further.
    Eric B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi there, thanks. When you say "Strategy window", I'm really not sure which one you're talking about. Do you mean when the Strategy is applied to the chart? Thanks.
      Attached Files

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, that's correct- in your picture, please see the bottom right of that window there it says template- you can click on that> save as> name the template.

If you name it Default, then this will be the default template when loading the window.

If you have any further NinjaTrader inquiries we may assist with, please don't hesitate to ask.
        Marco G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

it is DANGEROUS to save a strategy in a workspace. period.

Comment

NT Support:

I'm still having trouble with this functionality. While I can seemingly save a strategy template, I can't find any sequence to load it back up. Here's a video of my activity:

Can you take a look at? Where's my error? Thanks,

Comment

no me salen las grafícas en el demo en la intalacion segui todos los pasos y la pantalla sigue en negro

Comment

Hello timmbbo,

Thank you very much for your reply.

As this is better explained in a short video, I've recorded one for you and uploaded it to the following address:

World's leading screen capture + recorder from Snagit + Screencast by Techsmith. Capture, edit and share professional-quality content seamlessly.

Saving the strategy together with the workspace in this way should not cause any issues and should always open with it intact, as long as the underlying chart is not closed.

Should you have any further questions in this regard, please don't hesitate to let us know!
                Manfred F.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by alix crisilia View Post
                  no me salen las grafícas en el demo en la intalacion segui todos los pasos y la pantalla sigue en negro
                  Tenemos una mayor capacidad para atenderle en espańol a través del correo electrónico. Si prefiere continuar en espańol, por favor contáctenos por correo electrónico en PlatformSupport[AT]NinjaTrader[DOT]com.

Comment

NT Support:

Nope, it's still not working. Take a look at my operation:

Your thoughts?

Comment

Hello timmbbo,

Thank you very much for the video.

Looking at the error message, I suspect this is the issue we're facing here.

As NinjaTrader reports it does not have access to its own files and does not shut down successfully, it likely never saves your workspace.

The most likely culprit here is Dropbox. When Dropbox backs a file up, it will temporarily write-block this file to ensure it does not change during the upload.

In short, it will scan the folder, notice a new file, block access to this file, upload it, then release write-protect.

If this happens to NinjaTrader's internal files while NinjaTrader is managing them, e.g. your real-time/cached data or your workspace, it can then cause issues.

My first suggestion would be to exclude the Documents > NinjaTrader 8 folder from Dropbox's backup. If you are then able to shut the platform down without receiving this error, and can restart it without having to use the task manager, the workspace should save successfully.

Please let me know, should this not resolve these issues!

Comment

Hey there, that did the trick. When I kill DropBox, and then exit, my strategies in the workspace save correctly

Comment

Oops, I spoke to soon. While I can now save and recall NT's strategies in a chart, it does not do the same for my custom strategies. The custome strategies I select, are not saved into my workspace. See:

Your thoughts? Thanks,
                          Last edited by timmbbo; 04-22-2021, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Hello timmbbo,

Thank you very much for this video.

The custom and sample strategies should behave identically in this regard. That means if the workspace reopens, it should always return all strategies, not just specific ones.

I'd like to take a closer look at your log & trace files, as I suspect we might have a second issue that keeps them from re-enabling correctly.

The easiest way to send me these files would be through the platform directly.

You can do this by clicking on Help > Email Support.

Please leave 'log and trace files' selected, and add the following note to your email. This ensures we can quickly associate it with your post:

ATTN Manfred 3059734

Thank you in advance, I look forward to your reply!

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by alifarahani, Today, 09:40 AM
                            4 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post alifarahani  
                            Started by gentlebenthebear, Today, 01:30 AM
                            3 responses
                            0 likes