X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indicator Panel Sizes Automatically Reset by NT8

Windows 10 build 19042, AMD 2700 CPU
    NT8 Version: 8.0.24.2 (64-bit)

NT8 automatically resets the indicator panel sizes during start-up as follows:
    1. Start NT8 with charts of 19 tabs and 3 complex indicators requiring substantial time (35 sec) to load and process.
    2. While the charts are loading data, click NT8 connections to select Kinetick - End of Day (free).
    3. Indicator panels (total of 2) are loaded with equal vertical sizes set by NT8, which are different than as saved previously.
    4. Exit NT8 without saving, to ensure that original panel size info are not over-written.
    5. Start NT8 again but without clicking any "Connections" options. The charts are loaded with the correct indicator panels sizes.

The work around for this situation is rather simple but it would be great if this could be resolved.
    Last edited by kkc2015; 04-20-2021, 08:54 PM.

Hello kkc2015,

Thanks for your post.

I have moved this thread to the Platform Technical Support forum as it sounds more in line with a platform technical issue than a programming issue.

I have attempted to reproduce the symptoms with a workspace with one chart using Order Flow Volume Profile with a chart with multiple tabs, and MACD indicators to add additional panels. I could not reproduce these symptoms.

Could you attach workspace file that sets up #1 with NinjaTrader standard indicators? If a custom indicator that you have written is involved, could you reduce the code so it only contains the code necessary to demonstrate the issue? Workspaces are saved in the Documents\NinjaTrader 8\workspaces\ folder.

When you first start the platform, are you auto connecting to any data provider?

So I am clear, if I load the test workspace, without connecting, I will then see this issue (panel sizes change) after connecting to any data provider? (In this case, Kinetick End Of Day Free can be used to test?)

I look forward to hearing from you.
    JimNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Jim,
      Thank you for the quick response.

Responses to your questions are as follows:
      1. When I first start the platform, NT8 is not set to automatically connect to any data provider. I only have Kinetick EOD free data.
      2. Your statement is correct: "So I am clear, if I load the test workspace, without connecting, I will then see this issue (panel sizes change) after connecting to any data provider? (In this case, Kinetick End Of Day Free can be used to test?)"

3. Attached files:
      3a. kc_Index.xml - this is the zipped workspace configuration that causes the issue.
      3b. Chart_19tabs_PanelSize_OK.png - screen showing that the panel sizes are loaded correctly (no data provider connected).
      3b. Chart_19tabs_PanelSize_Reset.png - screen showing that the panel sizes are reset by NT8 (NT8 started with no data provider connected but connected to Kinetick EOD while the data are loading and processing).

Additional info:
      1. Screen has 4k resolution.
      2. Most DataSeries on the tabs are of 8365 Days (Type: Day) but two of them are of ~19000 Days (Type: Month).
      3. The main customized indicator contains a system of indicators, one of which, requires significant calculations.
      4. It would be a daunting task for me to strip down my indicator to reproduce the result. I will try to create a test indicator with extended dummy calculations to see if the symptom can be recreated.
      Attached Files

Comment

Hello kkc2015,

I have attempted on my end, but I do not have all of the third party indicators involved. I have returned a copy of the workspace saved on my end with 3rd party components removed.

I only see one tab with an additional panel added, and I do not get the issue on that tab.

If you can reproduce with the returned test workspace that has the third party components removed, please let me know.

Otherwise, the chart/workspace will need to reduced to what specifically causes the issue. I would then suggest making a copy of the workspace and try to first narrow down to one tab, and then to narrow down the indicators added.

Once we get there, the developer of the indicator will need to get involved so the code is reduced to what causes the issue, and then we could receive that reduced script and look into how it is creating these symptoms. If it is an indicator you have made, you can send us the reduced version that only contains the code necessary to reproduce the symptoms and we can look into again on our end and file a report if needed.

We look forward to assisting.
        Attached Files

Comment

Jim,
          Thanks again for the quick response and your effort to remove the third party indicators from the workspace.

Using your conditioned workspace, I load the indicators on the chart of each tab as follows:
          1. Load two indicators: MACD and RSI (standard NT8 indicators) on the charts of the first few tabs. The indicator panel sizes are reduced from the default size - this will allow me to detect the size change visually.
          2. Save template as "test".
          3. Add indicators on the remaining tabs (except for two tabs) by loading the "test" template.
          4. Exit NT8, saving the workspace.
          5. Repeat the NT8 starting with a) no data provider - (result: panel sizes are OK), and b) while the charts are loading, click to connect to Kinetick - (result: panel sizes on all tabs are reset by NT8).
          6. The results are repeatable.

Please see attached zipped file, which includes:
          1. kc_Index 3rd Party Removed.xml : with two standard NT8 indicators loaded on each chart.
          2. Test.xml : template
          3. SHGC_Panel_Size_Intended_Config.png, SHGC_Panel_Size_Reset_by_NT8.png
          4. NT8 log files.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by kkc2015; 04-21-2021, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Hello kkc2015,

Thanks for reaching back.

I hit the issue as long as I connect as the workspace is still loading. I do see why the additional tabs and data is intended to make the workspace more likely to hit the issue.

I've reported the matter and I will follow up here when more information becomes available.

Regarding this issue, it has been reported and a fix has been applied with the tracking ID NTEIGHT-14943. The number for this ID will be noted in the Release Notes page of the Help Guide when a new version of NinjaTrader gets released that includes the fix. Please note that as of Release 24.2 the fix is not available, and we cannot offer an ETA on release schedules.

Release Notes may be found here - https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...ease_notes.htm
            Last edited by NinjaTrader_Jim; 06-10-2021, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the update.

Comment

Jim,
                Relating to delayed data connection, there seems to be another issue resulting from using multi-tab charts. The indicator procedure OnBarUpdate() is not fully executed on tabs that are not in focus when the data connection is activated after the multi-tab charts are loaded.

Procedure to reproduce the issue is as follows:
                1. Start NT8 with no auto data connection; open output window to view messages.
                2. Import “kcTest5.zip” indicator required for testing.
                3. Using this workspace “kc_Index 3rd Party Removed” to load the multi-tab charts.
                4. Make sure the fourth tab from the left “^SP500” is not in focus by selecting the right end tab “SHGC”.
                5. After all the charts are refreshed, activate data connections (Kinetick – End of Day).
                6. After all charts are refreshed, click on the fourth tab “^SP500”. This will generate an error of index out of range. This error would not occur if this ^SP500 tab was in focus when the data connection is activated.
                7. As shown on the output window, the error was caused by the execution of:

double d1 = EMA(BarsArray[1], 26)[0];
                  (VS debugger shows data in BarsArray[1] but unsure of validity)
                This issue also occurs when EMA(BarsArray[1], 26)[0] is executed via a button, outside of OnRender(). This issue may be (not sure) related to ver. 8.0.24.2 as I was not aware of it prior to upgrade.

There was no problem with:
                double d0 = EMA(BarsArray[0], 26)[0];

Attached Files
                Last edited by kkc2015; 04-28-2021, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Hello kkc2015,

I am not so sure we are looking at a bug with this one. We see an index out of range happening from a custom event (TriggerCustomEvent) and there are barsago references being made without first checking of the bars are there.

If I add the error checking from my screenshot, I don't hit the error.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Jim.
                    You are correct. This is not a bug related to the multi-tab charts.

Your response help me resolve some intermittent bugs on my indicators, which only occur with multi-tab charts and delayed activation of data connection. This is done by checking for CurrentBars[i] >= BarsArray[i].Count-2 directly, instead of relying on the status of the bool bBarUpdated variable (updated inside OnBarUpdate()).

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by CortexZenUSA, Today, 12:53 AM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post CortexZenUSA  
                    Started by CortexZenUSA, Today, 12:46 AM
                    0 responses
                    1 view
                    0 likes