Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

20 Open Charts and NT becomes unresponsive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

20 Open Charts and NT becomes unresponsive?

Hi,

I normally run 1 workspace with 4 charts each with 2 or 3 tabs of different timeframes for the same symbol and Chart Trader Open.

I have another workspace with about 20 individual charts, loading only 1 day for each chart.
    When I opened this workspace NT slowed down considerably. The buy and sell buttons were unresponsive on open positions I needed t close quickly.

I was unable to close positions, clicking buy/sell once and then again thinking maybe I missed the click, no response, go to position manager "close all positions" and then the two queued sell orders now unfortunately are executed and not only lost money not being able to get out f a position when I needed to, but now opened a several contract position I did not want in the first place.

I had to stop trading for the day and it was not a profitable.

The CPU never maxed out, plenty of RAM available, solid state disk.

Is NT8 in general able to handle 20 commodity charts with a few indicators loaded with 1 days history?

Every indicator is set "on price change " or on bar close. When I look at the Script Performance monitor nothing is monopolizing the processor as the CPU usage is spread out among the various common indicators.

Even after closing the workspace with the 20 charts the performance never quite got back to it's normal responsiveness?

I have a quad core processor with adequate clock speed, 24 gb ram and hardware cycles and memory to spare.

Can someone please provide assistance in helping me identify and or resolve this issue.

Are their recommendations when performance issues occur that NT be restarted and the the PC rebooted?

Are there any cache, db or temporary files that should be cleaned up?

I will follow whatever procedure and recommendations there are available as I've not had a buy/sell button ignore before and it's a scary situation when it happens.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

glen

Hello demarcog,

Thank you for your post.

So we can further diagnose your system, please start NinjaTrader in Safe Mode.

Safe Mode will prevent NinjaTrader from:
    • Loading workspaces.
    • Connecting on start-up.
    • Loading custom assemblies.
    • Getting instrument updates from the server.

To enable safe mode, please use the following steps:
    • Exit NinjaTrader.
    • Hold the CONTROL key and double click the NinjaTrader icon.
    • Keep the CONTROL key held down until you see the Control Center.
    • You can verify you are in safe mode by going to Help -> About.

Once in Safe Mode, please connect and then close your workspace. Do Not Save.

Then please reopen your workspace to populate the windows. Does the same behavior occur?

Also for your reference I have included a link to our Performance Tips page.
    Spencer F.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

NT most certainly has an upper limit to what it can handle. Support will not tell you this - you'll go through the process of sending emails back and forth with trace files, etc. It will lead to nowhere.

I had the same issue and the only resolution was to purchase another NT license, another computer and split the work load. Once I did that, NT lag issues disappeared like magic.

Comment

brownsfan019,

Thanks for taking the time to respond I appreciate it.

What's strange is that it's intermittent and frequently occurs after seeing a few exceptions and associated with the CPU running up to 100% and staying there. Indicating some kind tight code loop..

If I forget to change the Trend size on a unirenko chart for the NQ for example from 2 which I use on the ES to at least 8 the even for 10 days worth of data it's almost guaranteed it will hang and have to task manager out.

No software is perfect and NT8 is the best platform I've used and It normally can handle 20-30 charts but there is some issue there I run into occasionally.

Do you recall at what point in general terms of charts, intervals, studies etc?

Thanks again,

glen

Comment

Hello demarcog,

Thank you for your post.

It would be expected to see programs to become unresponsive if the CPU or even Disk utilization is running at 100% as the computer will need to work through it's current processes before moving on to the next.

And if this becomes backed up if can cause the platform to become unresponsive until your computer is able to catch back up.

I have included links to our NinjaTrader Help Guide on the NinjaScript Utilization Monitor and the impact of 3rd party add-ons for your reference.

Note the Utilization Monitor is a built in tool to help diagnose any items in your workspace that may be 'resource hogs' and causing unwanted behavior.

Also again I have linked the Performance Tips page for your reference as well.

Comment

Hi Spencer,

Thank you for responding to my post. Always appreciate the great advice and interesting links you guy usually provide, very helpful.

Sorry for the poor communication on my part. You are describing a situation where other work is monopolizing the CPU, Disk, Ram etc. with NT being the "victim" of this other workload.

It's actually the opposite NT is causing the CPU to max out at 1000% and barely responsive, wait 15 seconds to right click in a chart, and the Control Center is totally unresponsive.

NT is the best app in the world IMHO so I would never point the finger unless 99% certain. Not having a system dump of memory at the time of the 100% CPU to see exactly what program is active on that processor would be 100% conclusive but I'll explain my 99% level of certainty The most obvious is it's the only application that runs on this system. .

In the attached Task Manager you can see a typical baseline screenshot of what 's running and the resources consumed. The CPU is under 20% during the day that ranges in the 30's.

The system configuration is an Intel i7-8650u Quad Core 1.92 GHz, 24 GB of Ram a, NVDIA GeForce MX-150 s processor, and a solid state 1 TB disk.

The average normal baseline CPU utilization during daily market hours s normally 30%. I have 44 Charts open.

Not sure what's going on but it happens frequently, everyday with the obvious ramifications as this is what I do for a living.

Whatever I can do to help you diagnose the problem. I've sent several sets of traces/logs don't think there was any resolution.

One great feature of NT is the developers did an amazing job, logging/tracing events. One or more programs is looping and runs the CPU flat out 100% and I usually have to task manager restart.

There are other times when it run 100% for awhile and then stabilizes, occasionally I see an exception message.

I run the Ninja Script Output an at times in the past could identify the culprit the ties I can get in, nothing seems to be monopolizing.

I've done every suggestion mentioned in the documents and then some. I changed every indicator to "on bar close" which would not be my first choice for some indicators.

I'm trading off updates in my indicators to try and mitigate the daily performance issues I'm experiencing.

I sent the logs to you attention Post #1153755

Would be interested and appreciate you letting me know the steps you guys take in working on a problem like this, just curious.

thank you

glen

Attached Files

Comment

Hi Spencer,

I don't see the content in the body of the email you sent me anywhere in this chain of posts what am I missing?

In any event I followed the procedure to upgrade to the latest version, backed up everything first got a clean install etc.

WOW I cannot believe the performance improvement. I'm loading 30 charts and it took on average 5-10 seconds for each chart.

It takes 30 seconds from clicking the NT8 Icon to having all 30 charts loaded, 1 second per chart (almost) unbelievable.

In 30 years I've never seen such a dramatic improvement in performance.

Not sure if this is proper protocol or not and feel free to take it down if so but I want to shout this from the top of the highest hill around here.

Thank you.

glen

Comment

Hello demarcog,

Thank you for your note.

I responded to our support ticket #3079513 and have not posted here.

Please let us know if we may be of any further assistance.

Comment

Spencer,

Sorry loosing track of different posts. You sent me and email where I felt a sense of urgency/importance that I respond to your "last message".

I see that I responded on 5/1 and thank you very much it did resolve the problem I was having. There is another issue I am having but will post seperately.

glen

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by Stanfillirenfro, Today, 07:23 AM
                  1 response
                  0 likes
                  Last Post NinjaTrader_Gaby  
                  Started by cmtjoancolmenero, Yesterday, 03:58 PM
                  2 responses
                  0 likes