ChartTrader instrument not saved to workspace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ChartTrader instrument not saved to workspace

When there are two instruments on the chart, ChartTrader does not correctly save the instrument to the workspace.

For instance, I watch the NQ instrument on the chart but trade the MNQ, and every morning I have to switch from NQ to MNQ in ChartTrader because NT8 does not save that configuration.

All other ChartTrader parameters, including account, quantity, TIF, ATM strategy are correctly saved, except for the instrument. This is still happening for the latest 8.0.24.2 version. Is this the intended behavior?

Hello VolatyTrading,

Can you please right click in your chart->Data Series and attach a screenshot of your chart settings so I may look into this further.

To capture a screenshot with Windows 7 or newer I would recommend using the Windows Snipping Tool.

Click here for instructions

Alternatively to capture a screenshot press Alt + PRINT SCREEN to take a screenshot of the selected window. Then go to Start--> Accessories--> Paint, and press CTRL + V to paste the image. Lastly, save as a jpeg file and attach to your reply.

Click here for detailed instruction
    Christopher J.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi NinjaTrader_ChristopherJ

thanks for the response. Please see attached for the configuration of both data series.

This also happens in other chart types, not just tick series.

Attached Files

Comment

Currently when viewing a multi series chart the primary instrument will automatically be selected. As a workaround if you would like MNQ to be selected on startup change the first instrument in the Data Series to MNQ 06-21 making this the primary instrument then change the second instrument to NQ 06-21.

Comment

Thanks, I'll do that as a workaround although I still believe that the ChartTrader's instrument should be saved to the workspace just like other parameters.

Comment

I am trying my best to fathom why workspaces would even be added if it does not save the instrument to that workspace? Say I am trading NMQ, I the vast majority of traders would only have 1 workspace for each instrument. I have never come across any one that would need to change their charts that much that several workspaces would be needed for one instrument, so that the begs the question, what are workspaces useful for? The only reason a workspace would be useful is if it saved the instrument with the workspace. Consider that the current way you have things structured, if I wanted to trade another instrument, I would have to go to a new workspace and load that instrument every time or I would have to load the new instrument and change all the setting in my current workspace. I am really looking forward to your explanation on this...?

Comment

Currently instruments selected will be saved as a part of the workspace. You can configure different workspaces for use with another instrument, configuration, etc. Also if you only want to use a single workspace and want to toggle between instruments within the workspace Charts, Order entry, Alerts, Time and Sales, News, FX Board and Market Analyzer windows all have link buttons in the top right hand corner. Any window that is linked by color (each link button is set to the same color) will receive the same change of instrument request. That means that if you change, or select, an instrument in one window, all other linked windows will also change to that instrument.

I have provided a link below to our Help Guide that goes over Managing Workspaces.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_ChristopherJ View Post
                Currently instruments selected will be saved as a part of the workspace. You can configure different workspaces for use with another instrument, configuration, etc. Also if you only want to use a single workspace and want to toggle between instruments within the workspace Charts, Order entry, Alerts, Time and Sales, News, FX Board and Market Analyzer windows all have link buttons in the top right hand corner. Any window that is linked by color (each link button is set to the same color) will receive the same change of instrument request. That means that if you change, or select, an instrument in one window, all other linked windows will also change to that instrument.

I have provided a link below to our Help Guide that goes over Managing Workspaces.
                Sorry, but this is not true. Instruments are not saved with workspaces. This is the whole point of my post

Comment

NinjaTrader_ChristopherJ when are you going to respond and get this rectified?

Comment

NinjaTrader_Manfred NinjaTrader_ChristopherS When is this going to get sorted out? It is simply not good enough.

Comment

Hello BigRol00,

I can confirm the primary instrument is selected on a multi-series chart in the chart trader instrument selector.

I have submitted a feature request for the development team to consider saving this selection with the workspace.
                      Once I have a tracking ID for this request I will post in this thread for future reference.

Please note, we receive many requests and cannot reasonably implement all requested features or changes. Interest is tracked internally and if enough interest is tracked, it would be weighed against how feasible it would be to make those changes to consider implementing, so we cannot offer an ETA or promise of fulfillment.

When new features are implemented, they will be listed in the Release Notes page of the Help Guide. The ID number may be different than the internal feature request tracking ID, but the description of the feature will let you know if that feature has been implemented.

Release Notes - https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...ease_notes.htm
                      Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

You are absolutely 100% missing the point, what is the point of the workspaces?

If you know any thing at all about trading, you would know this:
                        • Different instruments need indicators with different settings
                        • Most traders only use one group of indicators with specific settings for each instrument
                        So I ask you again, what is the purpose of the workspaces?

Clearly you programmers are not traders and are clueless as to the purpose of some of your own platform features.

This should be basic feature number 1. Once again I am asking you programmers at NT to get the absolute basics right, basic stuff like why do all the data reload every time a single indicator is changed or where the hell is the price on the horizontal line, really basic stuff.

Comment

Hello BigRol00,

The workspaces contain more than just the chart trader instrument selections.

This contains all open windows and their positions, all of the indicators applied to charts as well as their settings, color settings, and various other window properties.

Our Engineering Support team does not have much insight into the development stages, but we more than happy to pass along requests for improvements. NinjaTrader 8 itself, was created with over 500 requested enhancements over NinjaTrader 7. We appreciate your feedback.

Comment

NinjaTrader_ChelseaB Once again you are missing the point. The workspaces DO NOT save instruments with them. That means they are useless, because no one uses different workspaces for the same instrument. This is not a feature request, this is bad understanding and planning on Ninja Traders behalf. You urgently need some actual traders in your programming team.

Comment

Hello BigRol00,

The instrument selected in the data series of a chart is saved with a workspace.

Its only the one use case where there are multiple data series on a single chart where the instrument drop-down in chart trader is not saved. The other aspects of the workspace saving are working. They are not useless as the charts, indicators, and other windows are getting saved. There's more to workspaces than just this one drop-down being saved. Throughout the history of the platform, this drop-down has not been saved with workspaces for this corner case, yet our users are able to continue using the platform. We are happy to consider saving it in a feature request.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by algospoke, Yesterday, 06:40 PM
                              1 response
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_Jesse  
                              Started by quantismo, Yesterday, 05:13 PM
                              1 response
                              0 likes