Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternative volume interval chart

Hello!

I'm trying to quickly evaluate NinjaTrader by comparing results to indicators I usually use with TradeStation. The tricky part is the way that volume interval charts are made!

TradeStation likes to fill a bar with transactions until reaching the requested volume. If that transaction overfills the bar, then that's fine! It just goes ahead and overfills it. So TradeStation might have a 1000 volume chart that has a few bars that actually contain 1007 volume, for example. It looks like NinjaTrader tends to have bars with exactly 1000 volume though with no overfilling allowed!

Is there a way to configure the existing volume interval charts to allow overfilling? If I grit my teeth, I can imagine using a 1-tick chart and creating my own tallies for the volume bars. But how in the world would I then feed those OHLC values into existing indicators and get results that make sense??
    Last edited by jchorton; 05-11-2021, 11:04 AM. Reason: removed extra "that"

Hello jchorton,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the NinjaTrader forums!

With NinjaTrader that is correct, if you specify 1000 volume bars you get 1000 volume bars. You can specify 1007 volume bars if you like, or any value really and that is what will be constructed! But it will be a consistent volume value bar to bar and it sounds like the other platform is not so I am not sure how that will work for you.

You might try asking on the other end is there any way to get a consistent 1000 volume bar?

Another approach, for quickly comparing, would be to compare apples to apples by comparing time-based data, such as 1 minute bars, or perhaps 15 minute bars or really any minute bars you wish.

You can also test Range bars, Renko bars, or Tick bars.

Here is a link to bar types in NinjaTrader: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...?bar_types.htm

Here is a link to how bars are built in NinjaTrader: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help..._are_built.htm

Paul H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hmm. Thank you for the reply! I'll keep those other bar charts in mind.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by andrewtrades, Today, 04:57 PM
      1 response
      0 likes
      Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred  
      Started by chbruno, Today, 04:10 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post chbruno