Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IB was unable to locate instrument

Hi,

I'm guessing I'm getting this message on NT8 when it's trying to pull data from IB. The ticker symbol - SPCE - is both the same on IB and NT8. Not sure where the problem is. I can pull data from kinetick but not from IB. Could someone please help?

Regards

Kay Wai

Hello kaywai,

Thank you very much for your post.

Are you enabled for real-time (not delayed) data on the SPCE through Interactive Brokers?

Do you receive a specific error message when you request data?

I look forward to your reply!
    Manfred F.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Manfred,

I am enabled for real-time data on SPCE through IBKR.

The message I'm getting on NT8 is "IB was unable to locate instrument. Please verify your symbol mapping is correct for instrument SPCE Default.

Regards

Kay Wai

Comment

Hello kaywai,

Thank you very much for your reply.

When the NinjaTrader platform adds a new Stock instrument, it would use the "Default" exchange as standard.

In the case of the SPCE, this would have to be changed to the NYSE, as this is where Interactive Brokers lists the stock.

To change this, please click on Tools > Instruments, and search for the SPCE.

Once the instrument is selected, please click on "Edit", click on "1 exchange" and switch out the "Default" for the Nyse" exchange:

Click image for larger version

Name:	SPCE.jpg
Views:	627
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	1157283

After this has been changed, please reconnect to your Interactive Brokers connection, you should then receive real-time data for this instrument.

Should this not work or if you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to let us know!
        Manfred F.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

That did the trick Manfred! Thanks very much!

Comment

Hi,

All of a sudden, I am also getting "IB was unable to locate instrument. Please verify symbol mapping is correct for instrument MES 09-22 Globex." AND YES, I did make sure Merge Policy is merge back adjusted and Exchange is Globex." Please help.

thank,
            Clark

Comment

Hello Clark,

Can you please check if you experience the error when using the MES 12-22. You may type in the instrument in the Instrument field of most NinjaTrader windows. For example:
              • Left click in the Instrument field first and hit Backspace on your keyboard.
              • Type in MES 12-22 and hit Enter on your keyboard.

In what NinjaTrader window do you have the MES 09-22 selected?

In addition, please check what TWS/Gateway version you currently have installed. The required TWS/Gateway version is 981.3i with NinjaTrader. If you have a different version, please download and install TWS 981.3i from the Interactive Brokers connection guide below and check if the issue persists. You can find it under 'Requirements'.
              JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I'm getting the exact same error.

This started this evening (11/13/22) with *ZERO* changes to either IB's TWS, or NinjaTrader. It worked previously without any issues for the last 6 months, give or take.

-IB TWS: 981.3i
                -NT 8.0.22.2
                -Tried all variations of "merge policy"
                -Tried changing the symbol exchange from "GLOBEX" to "Default", and the error is reporting now with "ES 12-22 Default" instead of "ES 12-22 Globex"

It's only with GLOBEX exchange symbols (ES, MES, MNQ) that this occurs. Stocks (NYSE and NASDAQ) and crude (NYMEX) do not generate the error.
                Last edited by Shinjitsu noDeshi; 11-13-2022, 09:17 PM.

Comment

I am also having same issue. None of the futures is working with IBKR.
                  Thanks,
                  Sam

Comment

Please note that Interactive Brokers is completing an effort to update and consolidate exchange names where appropriate. When this effort is complete, the following updates will be in effect:
                    • GLOBEX and CMECRYPTO will be consolidated to a single exchange, ‘CME’
                    • ECBOT will be updated to ‘CBOT’
                    • COMEX listed metals (previously reflected as NYMEX) will be updated to exchange ‘COMEX’
                    • NYMEX, no change

Given the wide breadth of products involved, we are migrating in four waves based on underlying products:

Key Effective Trade Date Products
                    Wave 1 October 30, 2022 GLOBEX: ZAR, LB, DA, IXE
                    Wave 2 November 6, 2022 GLOBEX: EMD, BRE, CHF, SOFR3, E7, NKD
                    CMECRYPTO: BTCEURRR, ETHEURRR, MET
                    Wave 3 November 13, 2022 GLOBEX: All remaining products
                    CMECRYPTO: All remaining products
                    ECBOT: ZO, ZR, 2YY, 30Y
                    NYMEX: ALI, QI, QC
                    Wave 4 TBD ECBOT: All remaining products
                    NYMEX: All remaining "Metal" products

​IB is updating its exchange name settings, so as to not able to locate symbol, such as ES 12-22 Globex. According to IB's description, the instrument ES 12-22 Globex should be change to ES 12-22 CME instead, however, CME is not in the Exchanges list. Does NT fix this issue?

Comment

Thanks for the information. This helped a lot.

CME is there as supported exchange. I went and edited the Instrument and added CME as supported exchange.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	391
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	1223414

Comment

Hello Shinjitsu noDeshi,

Please note that the required TWS version is 10.16.1k with NinjaTrader. If you have a different version, please download and install TWS 10.16.1k from the Interactive Brokers connection guide below. You can find it under 'Requirements'.

In addition, you have a previous NinjaTrader version installed (8.0.22.2). Can you download and install the latest NinjaTrader 8 version (8.0.26.1) using the instructions below and check if the issue persists.
                        • First, please make a copy of the license key entered at Control Center-->Help-->License Key as you need it to download NinjaTrader.
                        • Make sure NinjaTrader is shut down.
                        • Download and install the latest NinjaTrader 8 version from the link below.
                        • https://ninjatrader.com/PlatformDirect

Majorshi, thank you for providing this information.

sambathraj, do you have TWS 10.16.1k and NinjaTrader 8.0.26.1? If not, please install these versions and check if you receive realtime data for the ES 12-22.

Comment

These changes in exchange mapping by IB were not updated on our end over the weekend. It has now been updated. Please restart the NinjaTrader platform to resolve the issue.

Comment

Hi.

TWS 10.16.1k
                            NinjaTrader 8 8.0.26.1

I'm trying to change the symbol mapping for Gold futures without success.
                            For one thing "COMEX" does not appear in the list of exchanges in NinjaTrader. According to the IBKR memo quoted above, that is the exchange that should be configured for GC. HOWEVER, in TWS, when you look at the details of that contract, IBKR states that the exchange is NYMEX!!!

So, which is it? NYMEX, which is the exchange currently configured in my version (8.0.26.1) of NinjaTrader 8. Or COMEX (which does not even appear in the list of possible exchanges)???

In the Tools/Instrument/Futures/GC/Symbol Map section, for the broker Interactive Brokers, I have changed the entry from "GC" to "GCZ2" (which is the symbol that appears in TWS Details).

I then re-started NinjaTrader, yet I still get an error msg that IBKR is unable to locate the instrument GC 12-22 NYMEX.

So... could someone post an actual snapshot of the complete configuration of GC THAT WORKS???

(And then, maybe, do the same thing for CL, ES, NG, NQ which are the other markets that I used to trade in the recent past?)

Thanks.

Comment

Hello M_ichel,

Can you please reset the instruments in NinjaTrader using the instructions below and check if you receive realtime data for the futures instruments you mention.
                              • First, disconnect from any data providers by navigating to the Control Center > Connections menu, and left-click on “disconnect” that appears to the right when hovering your mouse over any active connection
                              • Next, reset your instruments by navigating to the Control Center > Tools > Database Management
                              • In the Database Management window, under the “Update instruments” section, ensure that “General properties”, "Futures expiries" and “Symbol mappings” options are checked and then click Update
                              • Lastly, restart NinjaTrader for the changes to occur
                              ​If the issue remains, please send me your log and trace files so that I may investigate.

You can do this by going to the Control Center-> Help-> Email Support

Ensuring 'Log and Trace Files' is checked will include these files. This is checked by default.

Please reference the following ticket number in the body of the email: Att Jason H, 03286014.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by quantismo, 04-17-2024, 05:13 PM
                              3 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_Gaby  
                              Started by ScottWalsh, 04-16-2024, 04:29 PM
                              7 responses
                              0 likes