Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

buy stop limit/sell stop limit

Hello, I have just changed from ninjatrader 7 to ninja 8

in Ninjatrader 7 I could place a buy stop limit order high above the market and then move it below the market where I believed the market would retrace to, pickup my order and then continue long again. Is this not available in Ninjatrader 8? will I need to go back to Ninjatrader 7?

thank you in advance

Hello,

Thanks for your post.

A buy stop order is placed above the market and a sell stop order is placed below the market. Once the stop price is touched, the order is treated like a market order and will be filled at the best possible price.
    • When buying, if the order price is higher than (above) the current market price, it is a Buy Stop.
      • As an example, with the market trading at 1790.00, Buy 1 Dec E-mini S&P 500 at 1790.00 Stop. Can only be filled at the Market, after the Market trades (or is "offered") at 1790.00 or higher.
    • When selling, if the order price is lower than (below) the current market price, it is a Sell Stop.
      • As an example, with the market trading at 1801.75, Sell 1 Dec E-mini S&P 500 at 1801.75 Stop. Can only be filled at the Market, after the Market trades (or is "bid") at 1801.75 or lower.
    • You'll want to use the Sell Stop order for those below the market. It may be that you were using a different order type that has this functionality, such as MIT (Market if Touched) orders.
    Please let me know if I may be of any further assistance.
    Marco G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thank you Marco Yes i understand how that works.

So the way i traded long in Ninjatrader 7 using your example the Emini S&P500 market at 1790.00 i would be expecting it to come down to 1789.00 be rejected at a pivot or fib or a support of some sort and go back up.

So i would place a buy stop limit order with a 1 tick offset high above the market, then bring it down below the market to 1789.00, the market would come down pick up my buy order and go back up. That is what i was doing in ninjatrader 7 but ninjatrader 8 is not allowing me to do this. I just did it again on ninjatrader 7 but ninjatrader 8 is saying no.

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

Are you receiving a specific error when you attempt to do so? What does the error report?

I look forward to your reply.
        Marco G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I trade the NQ the message reads

ERROR

Sim101, Stop price can't be changed below the market. affected
          Order: Buy 1 StopLimit @ 13759.5 x 13759.75

but it works on ninjatrader 7 no error message

I'm trying to attach a screen recording of live market Cambodian Time but it wont let me upload a short .wmv or .mp4 format files

Comment

Hello,

This indicates you are editing a buy stop order below the market price, which is an invalid order. If using a buy stop order, ensure you are placing this above the current market price.
            Ryan S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thank you Ryan
              it works in version 7 but not 8
              this is how i have been trading successfully in ninjatrader 7
              If there is no way to do the same in ninjatrader 8 then i will have to revert back to ninjatrader 7.
              its unfortunate because i like the setup of multiple chart tabs to switch from one to another in version 8

Thank you everyone i hope this can be remedied

Comment

Hello,

The ability to do this on the sim account was removed in NT8 as doing so on a live account would result in a order rejection at the exchange.
                Ryan S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

thank you Ryan you have been very helpfull

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by algospoke, Yesterday, 06:40 PM
                  2 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post algospoke  
                  Started by ghoul, Today, 06:02 PM