Playback connection not utilizing full CPU resources

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Playback connection not utilizing full CPU resources

Hello, I've created an Azure VM with 16 cores and 64gb of RAM for the purposes of faster execution on Playback, however, I'm getting much slower execution than my 8 core i7, 16gb of RAM computer. On my local machine the playback connection set to MAX is processing approx 2 hours/second, whereas on this much more powerful VM it's only about 15 mins/second.

I checked the CPU utliziation on the VM during playback and it's only at around 8% avg, whereas my local machine is constantly at around 95% when I run the playback connection. As a separate test, I tried NT's optimizer using the standard MA cross over strategy - that test does utilize much more of the VM's CPU resources i.e. all cores at around 70% and does finish significantly faster than an identical optimization on my local machine.

Note for the playback test on the VM, i wasn't running any strategy. Simply pulled up a single instrument on a single chart and hit playback (same test as on my local machine).

Is there a reason why a machine with much more CPU cores and RAM runs substantially slower in Playback mode?

Thanks

Hello NTUser2120,

Could it be there a difference between the two tests? Do you have the same start and end dates selected in the Playback control window?

Do you have "Market Replay" or "Historical" selected for both tests?

Could it be you have multiple workspaces opened during one of the tests? Workspaces opened in the background will receive data. Please go to Control Center-->Workspaces and check what workspaces are opened. If a workspace shows a green icon in front, it indicates the workspace is opened and displayed on your monitor. If a gray icon is shown in front of the workspace name, the workspace is opened in the background - you don't see its charts and other windows, but they will receive data.

If the issue remains, please send me your log and trace files from the Azure VM so that I may investigate.

You can do this by going to the Control Center-> Help-> Email Support

Ensuring 'Log and Trace Files' is checked will include these files. This is checked by default.

Please reference the following ticket number in the body of the email: Att Jason, 3133542
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Jason, apprecite the quick response. I've sent you the log & trace files from the VM. I confirmed that there is only one workspace, with Playback in Market Replay and using same start/end dates as my local test. It's a really simple test, I literally just did a fresh install of NT 8, downloaded a single instrument's tick data (using the same method and provider I use on my local machine) and tried this replay test before having done anything else.

i think the fact that the CPU utilization on the VM is so low doesn't quite make sense to me and I feel like it's the reason for this.

Thanks

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by rtwave, 04-12-2024, 09:30 AM
      2 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post rtwave
      by rtwave

Started by tsantospinto, 04-12-2024, 07:04 PM
      5 responses