Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Serious problem, NT and VS, had to uninstall both.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Serious problem, NT and VS, had to uninstall both.

Yesterday, when I started up NT, the scripts available for charts were old and the one I am working on not there. After unstalling and reinstalling NT, the problem remained. The scripts it presented had been deleted and removed from my computer and Recycle Bin. I check my old backups and removed them too. But one of the scripts it presented was not there at all.

I have been using VS for editing. Checking in its folders I discovered it keeps backups of old scripts and that must have been where this was coming from. Then late last night Visual Studio thru a message. "Cannot open file G:\.......three folders down.. \Tax 20" That is where I stored my 2020 income tax returns. i have now uninstalled both VS and NT and ran sfc /scannow which found and corrected some errors (this is normal BTW)

NOTE: MS installed updates to Framework 4.8 the day before.

If this is a known problem with a fix, please let me know. If not, any ideas? I am thinking it may be time to buy a fresh C drive SSD and reinstall Windows from scratch and a completely clean drive (about a 3 day project for me). I have not done this for about two years.

Running Windows 10 Pro 21H1 build 19043.1081 Experience Pack 120.2212.39200. My computer has multiple drives, an i7-7700K processor at 4.2 Ghz and 32 GB ram and four monitors.

Hello JGRtrader,

Thanks for opening the thread.

I have not seen issues like this updating .NET framework, and the issue does sound to be more related to data loss on your storage drives since you mention Visual Studio was also affected, also noting the G partition.

I am not sure how many disks you have and how they are partitioned, so I could not say for certainty if you should replace the drive altogether, but I would recommend to create backup files regularly, verify their contents and to store them in a safe place (cloud storage, external drive, etc.) That way, if the issue comes back and it is more suspected of a failing drive, you can restore the backup file after replacing the drive.

For the thread's reference documentation on creating and restoring backups can be found below.

https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...p__restore.htm

We look forward to assisting.
    JimNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Jim, Thank you for the help.

I did successfully reinstall both NT and VS, and got everything working again. My C: drive is exclusively for the OS (old school). It is an SSD now 4 yrs old and one year past warranty. I suspect it was occasionally failing. I ordered a new one which will come in time for the week end. I have a big system for day trading and for my former consulting work.

I have three other physical drives and a bunch of partitions. Also several external backup drives. But I have not been backing up NT -- I need to be doing that. I have two accounts on the computer. Another interesting discovery is that the account I normally use has user rights and the other Admin rights. I discovered MS installed two instances of VS, one on each account!

Comment

I spoke too soon. The list of Available Strategies in the Chart UI is different from that in the Editor Explorer or the Visual Studio Solution Explorer. This was true before the problems I identified above. The strategies in the Chart's list includes things that no longer exit on the computer. I don't know where they are coming from.

Subsequent to this post, I learned that one must compile directly from the Editor as distinct to letting VS do it, to cause the strategy list on a chart to repopulate with current strategies.
        Last edited by JGRtrader; 06-25-2021, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Hello JGTrader,

The NinjaScript Editor and Visual Studio will show scripts that are saved on your platform in source code format.

Other indicators and strategies that you see on the platform that do not have a source file in the Documents\NinjaTrader 8\bin\Custom folder would either be compiled in an older version of the NinjaTrader.Custom.dll file, or within another DLL file. If you check the bin/Custom folder and see other assemblies, they likely would reside there. You can temporarily move these DLL files out of the folder, and then in the NinjaScript Editor, if you right click and select References, you can remove the reference to that DLL. After pressing F5 to compile, the scripts that were listing from the DLL's you had installed will no longer list.
          JimNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by algospoke, 04-17-2024, 06:40 PM
          5 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post NinjaTrader_Jesse  
          Started by arvidvanstaey, Today, 02:19 PM
          1 response
          0 likes