auto break even/trailing stop problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

auto break even/trailing stop problem

Hi, my intention is to begin a trade, once filled, with a 100 tick trailing stop that will move to break even if 30 ticks of profit is achieved. This was working in playback mode, but is not working now in a live situation. As you can see in the screenshot, price surpassed the 30 tick mark when it achieved 14704.75 (31 ticks profit) but the stop didn't move. Any reason it isn't triggering?

In the screenshot, the first of 2 contracts has already achieved it's profit target and is not showing. It has a different auto stop configuration and works fine. it's the second contract/stop config we're concerned with.

thanks,
    David
    Attached Files

Hello David,

The Auto Trail must have triggered at the same time as the Auto Breakeven. The Auto Trail is setup to adjust the stop loss at 100 ticks behind the current market price for every tick in profit. At 1 tick in profit, it adjust the stop loss to 100 ticks behind the current market price. Then for every additional tick in profit, the stop loss is adjusted to 100 ticks behind the current market price again. So it adjusts the stop loss at +28, +29, +30, +31, +32, etc ticks in profit.

If you test the ATM strategy with no Auto Trail setup, does the Auto Breakeven work as expected?
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

that makes sense. what might be the best configuration to terminate the trailing behavior at 30 ticks profit, and allow the auto break even to take over?

Comment

Unfortunately there is no setting to terminate the Auto Trail and let the Auto Breakeven take over.

I suggest to disable the Auto Breakeven and use 'Step 2' in the Auto Trail with the following settings:

Stop loss: 30
        Profit trigger: 30
        Frequency: ?

Comment

understood. presumably my idea would be possible through programmatically within a scripted strategy?

Comment

I don't know - I'm not a programmer myself. Please create a new thread regarding this inquiry on the support forum under 'Strategy Development'.

Comment

Originally posted by trader3000a View Post
              Hi, my intention is to begin a trade, once filled, with a 100 tick trailing stop that will move to break even if 30 ticks of profit is achieved. This was working in playback mode, but is not working now in a live situation. As you can see in the screenshot, price surpassed the 30 tick mark when it achieved 14704.75 (31 ticks profit) but the stop didn't move. Any reason it isn't triggering?

In the screenshot, the first of 2 contracts has already achieved it's profit target and is not showing. It has a different auto stop configuration and works fine. it's the second contract/stop config we're concerned with.

thanks,
              David

trader3000a,

it is indeed possible to create strategies that will adjust a exit market order from a stop loss position to break even stop to profit locking stop positions as price is made to move in favor of a position.

trailing stops are not recommendable, they will kill too many profitable positions.

check out the threads i have created, you should find a break even stop that i worked on some time ago that can be easily modified according to your objectives.

very well, regards.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by bill2023, Yesterday, 08:51 AM
              8 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post bill2023  
              Started by yertle, Today, 08:38 AM
              6 responses
              0 likes