Demo Trading/Limit Orders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Demo Trading/Limit Orders

Hi guys, I am connected to an FXCM live account on NT8 but I want to demo trade for a while, so I am using a simulation account. It definitely works as I can enter a market order to test it out and it fills no problem, but i placed a sell limit last night with a simple ATM strategy for a stop/loss and t/p, however it never triggered (and spread definitely wasn't an issue), could someone tell me what the problem could be and/or some solutions, thanks.

Hello,

Thanks for your post.

I suspect that NinjaTrader was not connected or was shut down at the time the price hit that level.

When trading with a live account, where your orders reside would depend on the brokerage technology you are using:

https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...rs_reside_.htm

Typically the Stop loss and Profit targets are stored on the exchange servers and you can shut down NinjaTrader and they will still exist on the servers. However, if you are running an ATM strategy that modifies these trades such as an Auto Trail function on the Stop loss, NinjaTrader would need to be connected in order for it to submit these updates to the orders, and would advise always leaving NinjaTrader open when running an ATM Strategy.

With Sim101 orders, since there is no real brokerage applied to simulated orders, NinjaTrader would need to be open to process such an order.

Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.
    Marco G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Marco View Post
      Hello,

Thanks for your post.

I suspect that NinjaTrader was not connected or was shut down at the time the price hit that level.

When trading with a live account, where your orders reside would depend on the brokerage technology you are using:

https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...rs_reside_.htm

Typically the Stop loss and Profit targets are stored on the exchange servers and you can shut down NinjaTrader and they will still exist on the servers. However, if you are running an ATM strategy that modifies these trades such as an Auto Trail function on the Stop loss, NinjaTrader would need to be connected in order for it to submit these updates to the orders, and would advise always leaving NinjaTrader open when running an ATM Strategy.

With Sim101 orders, since there is no real brokerage applied to simulated orders, NinjaTrader would need to be open to process such an order.

Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.
      ahhh yeah I had my PC shut down, so I should always leave my PC turned on and ninjatrader connected ? there's no option for leaving limit orders like that on overnight while your laptop is shut off ?

Comment

Originally posted by JackK View Post

ahhh yeah I had my PC shut down, so I should always leave my PC turned on and ninjatrader connected ? there's no option for leaving limit orders like that on overnight while your laptop is shut off ?
        or is that only the case when using NinjaTrader simulation ?

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, using the Sim101 account, NinjaTrader would need to be connected to manage such orders as there is no actual exchange attached to the simulation account; so these are not managed like a real account which could be held by the exchange directly.

Please let me know if I may be of any further assistance.
          Marco G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by Max238, Today, 01:28 AM
          4 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post Max238
          by Max238

Started by r68cervera, Today, 05:29 AM
          1 response