OHLC indicator and session/trading hours templates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OHLC indicator and session/trading hours templates

When using a 24/7 template, the open and close lines plotted by the OHLC indicator simply sit at the 12am mark.
    I'd like to view 24 hours of chart, yet have the open and close lines plot to the 9:30am - 4:00pm (EST) session.
    How might this be accomplished?
    Last edited by trader3000a; 07-29-2021, 04:21 AM.

Hello,

Thanks for your post.

This can be accomplished by creating two separate data series, and making transparent the one that the indicator will plot against, and leave visible the one that you wish to view.

More information can be found below in our Help Guide article regarding this topic:

You can hide the secondary data series by setting its candle colors to transparent and setting it to panel 1 (otherwise you will have a blank panel unless you have other uses for it).

An easier way, with the added data series, is to set its chart style to LineOnClose and then change the single color to transparent and again set it to panel 1.

In either case, you will still be able to access the OHLC data of the hidden data series.

It's also a good idea to change the "Plot Executions" to "None" on the secondary series and to uncheck Autoscale for it as well.

Please let me know if I may be of any further assistance.
    Marco G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi, thanks for the instructions. Worked it out

Comment

Hi Marco, there's still a problem with this solution. The regular session ohlc lines on the second data series don't show up until after the regular session begins. It is crucial to see them before the regular session begins in order to set up plans/expectations/targets for the open. How can we make this happen?

I've set up a hidden data series to show the regular session previous day OHLC. The issue is that the previous day's lines don't show up until after the current day's regular session has begun. Preparation using previous day OHLC lines for the regular session is done during the premarket, so how can we get these lines from yesterday's regular session to show up across 24 hours of the current day?
        Last edited by trader3000a; 07-30-2021, 03:52 AM.

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for your reply..

I suspect this is a function of your Trading Hours template, which will not plot data outside of the timeframes specified. Right click on the chart> Data Series> change the Trading Hours template to Default 24/7. This will display all available data on the chart.

Comment

Hi Marco, that takes us back to the original problem.

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

You'll want to set these up separately, changing the Trading Hours template of the visible data series, and changing the invisible one to the Trading Hours template you want it to plot the indicator with.

Comment

i have the 24/7 set to visible and the 9:30/4 (with ohlc) set to invisible. the ohlc lines do not show up in the premarket/postmarket

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for your reply and that clarification.

The indicator is going to plot based on the Trading Hours template that is attached to the data series in question.

Unfortunately, the situation you are trying to accomplish would not be possible with custom coding an indicator using NinjaScript to push the indicator to not follow the trading templates while also using it to base its calculations on them.

Comment

Hi Marco, what I'm looking for is something the vast majority of traders would love to see as a standard: yesterday's regular session ohlc's on a 24/7 chart. Can you put it in as a request?

Comment

Hello trader300a,
                      Thank you for the note.

I wanted to make a video to demonstrate the process mentioned above to make sure that we are talking about the same thing. Please follow along with the video below and let us know if this is what you were are trying to do, or what specifically you need to have done differently. If you need further information on any part of the video, please provide a timestamp and what your question is and I would be happy to elaborate.
                      Clayton G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

trader3000a,

"what I'm looking for is something the vast majority of traders would love to see as a standard: yesterday's regular session ohlc's on a 24/7 chart." - indeed. Ninja's response to this is that when developing NT8, users of 7 were asked if they would rather have ETH OR RTH in 8, they plumped for ETH. Give me a break.....

It can be done as described, but there is an error/confusion in Clayton's procedure. The pre-installed Trading Hours templates use Time Zone of the Exchange, in his case of ES hence CT to which he then uses 'your' NYSE RTH ET hours. So actually his Template would give 10:30-17:00ET

I've no idea if you're trading stocks, Futures whatever so leave the rest to you.

For 09:30-16:00ET, you will need to create a Custom Trading hours template using the procedure described.

I guess you're after something along the lines of the attached image

A word of caution - if you're intending doing this with a small number of charts and/or instruments and an otherwise low demand workspace it should be fine. But if you're intending having multiple instruments and charts running concurrently, adding multiple Data Series in this manner despite making Transparent to limit OnRender impact on chart re-draw may become a platform processing/coding speed bottleneck resulting in temporary or cumulative lagging at times of high volatility with volatile instruments.

"Can you put it in as a request?" - not going to happen IMHO. But there is a workaround using re-purposed third-party indicators and single Data Series if you find you need it.

Best,
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hi Bruce,
                          Thanks for your thoughts. I'd prefer modifying an indicator to messing around with layered data series and convoluted trading hours templates. Would you be open to sharing your workaround?
                          David

Comment

Hello David,
                            Of course, happy to help if my path is relevant to you.
                            I gave up on multiple data series after hundreds of wasted hours and unproductive Support (I want the London/Eurex Session as well, as many users e.g. FX & EU-based will, so more data series & trading hours templates to manage & the platform simply stalls out under such load. I’ve seen developers point fingers at outdated C# version used in Ninja, & how it processes ticks sequentially, but beyond my sphere).

Instead,
                            - for current day overnight and day session ohlc I use an Opening Range indicator with OR set to day session time period and to display the Full Session, using default instrument settings trading hours template (ETH) so you get ‘pre-market’ hours OHL and ‘OR’ H/L is Day Session rather than 5, 15, 30 min or whatever floats your boat. Hence your ‘OR’ is your Day Session and your ‘pre-market’ is your overnight.

As mentioned, just FYI, I also want London/Eurex so add a further instance of the indie with OR set to London hours and no pre-market displayed. Still just one data series/default trading hours template, no tinkering to set up or maintain.
                            - for prior day OHLC I use a Pivots indicator which has that ability and to choose full session, daily bars, intraday. This ability may depend on your broker data feed I believe.

All the above on one default ETH Data Series. With multiple instruments, charts, workspaces open I don’t encounter lag which I did using Ninja’s only and recommended solution. Like for like using Ninja’s multiple data series solution is not fit for purpose (‘what most traders want’ as you say).

I use Lizard Indicators’ (a Ninja approved vendor) OR and Pivots indicators for this. I have no affiliation, only good experience. I can’t recall whether they’re paid for or free but they are open source not dlls so no badware and if you want to tinker and have the skills knock yourself out. Available on Futures eye oh download as well as their own site. Can’t see why any similar indies of your preference couldn’t be similarly deployed, some on NT Ecosystem but haven’t investigated. I used Lizard’s (aka FatTails, Harry) with NT7 and found them to be best in class.

Simply put, just programmatically pulling user-specified time-based ranges out of one data series, rather than adding multiple data series driven by trading hours templates.
                            A total run-around pursuing an ill-considered and limited platform solution only to have to ‘re-purpose’ custom third-party add-ons to achieve basic functionality.

I you have need/were minded to put the time period code from OR into prior Pivots I’d appreciate a share - to do so is well above my pay grade, but still a work in progress for me to get further prior day sessions without adding data series

Hope this helps.

Comment

Hello David,
                              Just curious as to where you ended up on this? Were you able to achieve what you sought?
                              Best,

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by LawrenHom, Today, 10:45 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post LawrenHom  
                              Started by love2code2trade, Yesterday, 01:45 PM
                              4 responses
                              0 likes