Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Equity Curve: Strategy vs Market

Hello,

I see that the Strategy Analyzer > Analysis will give me a equity curve for my strategy. Can you tell me how I can compare this to the market?

Example: if I have a strategy that makes X amount of dollars after commissions and slippage over one year, how can I tell if I beat the market versus just putting my money in that market at the beginning of the year and just waited?

I have seen that some charting apps allow you to overlay the equity curve of the ES over the results from the strategy.

Thanks,

Matt

Hello Matt,

Thanks for your post.

You could create a strategy that performs the buy and hold and compare the unrealized PNL to that of your other strategy's Realized PNL.

You could plot the PNL of the two strategies over time.
    Paul H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

> You could plot the PNL of the two strategies over time.

Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me how to plot the results of two strategies at once?

Comment

Hello Matt,

Thanks for your reply.

In each strategy use the AddPlot() method to add a plot to each strategy. Reference. https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...8/?addplot.htm

In the OnBarUpdate() add code to assign the RealizedPNL or Unrealized PNL to the plot.

You could also write the plot values to a text file that can subsequently be read into a spreadsheet program. Here is a link to an example of writing data to a file: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...o_write_to.htm

Comment

Thanks for your follow up. I know that TradingView has a compare tool for this. I do feel like being able to discern if your strategy is beating the market is an important feature. I hope this feature is added soon. It seem impractical to build this all into each strategy.

Comment

Hello Matt,

Thanks for your reply.

I can certainly create a Feature Request for this.

Once I have the Feature request ID number I will update this thread.

Thanks in advance for your patience.

Feature Request Disclaimer
            We receive many requests and cannot reasonably implement all requested features or changes. Interest is tracked internally and if enough interest is tracked, it would be weighed against how feasible it would be to make those changes to consider implementing.
            When new features are implemented, they will be listed in the Release Notes page of the Help Guide. The ID number will be different than the internal feature request tracking ID, but the description of the feature will let you know if that feature has been implemented.
            Release Notes - https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...ease_notes.htm

Comment

Hello Matt,

Thanks for your patience.

Your vote was added to an existing feature request identified as SFT-1674, "Buy and hold return metric per default in SA". This thread has also been linked with the SFT and will be reviewed if this feature request is considered further.

Thanks again for your suggestion for improvement.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by bmartz, 03-12-2024, 06:12 AM
              5 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post NinjaTrader_Zachary  
              Started by Aviram Y, Today, 05:29 AM
              4 responses
              0 likes