Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Rollover notification for an instrument which is not open on any workspace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rollover notification for an instrument which is not open on any workspace?

According to this notification I have CL open on another workspace, but I've deleted all my work spaces recently and only have one with ES and NQ at the moment... Any idea why this is? I've also recently reinstalled the program via the latest installer.

Attached Files

Hello augustfay,

Thank you for your post.

For your question, this is an Auto Rollover Notification that happens when a Future's contract is set to expire soon. So this message indicates that you need to roll the instrument over to the new expiry. It has nothing to do if this instrument is not open in a workspace, as it is just doing this based on certain dates in NinjaTrader.

Futures contracts are only active for a specific amount of time before they expire. As a result, futures traders must roll their contracts to avoid expiration, follow trading volume and ensure there is enough market liquidity for trade execution.

Some futures contracts expire on a monthly basis while others expire every few months. For active traders of multiple markets, monitoring various futures roll dates and avoiding expiration can be burdensome.

When starting NinjaTrader or opening a new workspace, a pop-up window will appear notifying you if there are any contracts within your workspace which have rolled over. Users can simply click the “Done” button to update their instruments to the latest expiration month & year.

Please let me know if you need help any further.

Comment

I'm aware of all of that. My question is why am I being notified of CL when I am not trading CL?

Comment

I'm a little taken aback by this response, did you read my question? I don't have CL open in any workspace.

Comment

Hello agustfay,

Thank you for your responses.

For your question, this message will appear based on the specific dates in which an instrument is set to roll over. This is not correlated to having the CL or any instrument open in a workspace you have in the platform. It is solely based on the date a contract needs to roll over.

For instance, the CL 09-21 rolled over to the CL 10-21 contract today, 08/17/2021.

You can check these dates by:

-Go to 'Tools' > 'Instruments' > 'Type instrument and select edit'

-Scroll to 'Contract Months', hover over the value to view all contract rollover months

-The certain rollover date is within the Properties pane on the right side

Please let me know if I may help you further.

Comment

Thank you, that is helpful. I think the confusion lies in the phrasing of the popup.
            So to be clear the only way to stop these automatic notifications is to remove the instruments from this list? If I did decide to clear the instrument list, would opening the instrument in a new chart automatically re-add it here and thus give me notifications once again?

Comment

Hello augustfay,

Thank you for your reply.

For your recent question, unfortunately, there is not a way to disable this feature as it is hard coded into the platform.

Please let me know if I may be of any further assistance.

Comment

So what does removing an instrument from the instrument list actually accomplish? Just removing it from quick access on the chart dropdown?

Comment

Hello augustfay,

Thank you for your reply.

For your new inquiry, that is correct, it will remove it from the Instrument List Quick Access menu. We do not recommend you removing prebuilt instruments within the platform.

Please let me know if I may help you further.

Comment

I already removed some from the list, should I run the repair option from the latest installer on platform direct? Thanks.

Comment

Hello augustfay,

Thank you for your note.

I think there is some confusion here. It is just fine if you delete these from the default Instrument Lists, I meant you should not try to remove these instruments from the platform entirely as a safetly disclaimer on my end. I'm sorry if that confused you. You should not have to do anything on your end.

Please let me know if I can assist any more.

Comment

Got it, thank you for your help.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by andrewtrades, Today, 04:57 PM
                        1 response
                        0 likes
                        Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred  
                        Started by chbruno, Today, 04:10 PM
                        0 responses