Strategy Builder Error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strategy Builder Error

Recently decided to use Strategy Builder but I continue to receive numerous error messages; "Unable to create instance of NinjaScript 'HonestRobotTrader.Indicators.HoOlMin'." Ironically, I have not done business with "Honest Robot." I've never loaded their script(s).

I've included a video link of the error in action. Hope it's okay to post that link?

1) Ideally, I'd like to solve the problem without a re-install.

{Have STF and see a similar error and the solution was a complete reset/re-install. I've already tried deleting/regenerating NinjaTrader.Custom, no joy.}

2) If I must reinstall will all of my third-party indicators, bundles, and strategies need to be re-registered or will a full backup handle the proper reinstall/registration of those third-party products?

Thank you for your time & assistance.

Geary

Hello Interprises,

Thank you for your reply.

Looks like you may have some issues with references either not being present or old references that need to be removed. To test this, please go to New > NinjaScript Editor. Right click in the Editor window and select Compile. Do you see errors pop up when compiling? If so, please provide a screen shot showing the errors you see with the full Error column showing (you may have to adjust the column to show the entire error).

Thanks in advance; I look forward to assisting you further.

Kate W.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thank you, Kate, no errors. https://www.screencast.com/t/2H09q7DlzLL

Comment

Hello Interprises,

Interesting that it's compiling fine. Let's have you try going to Tools > Remove NinjaScript Assembly. Do you see anything in here that mentions "HonestRobotTrader"? If so, click on it to select it, hit Remove, and test again.

Comment

No mention of "HonestRobotTrader" within assemblies. When I check \, Documents\NinjaTrader 8\bin\Custom\Indicators don't see it there, either. By the way, what folders hold third-party products? For example, when I look at my indicators list (see capture), I see some folders and some indicators that aren't listed in \Documents\NinjaTrader 8\bin\Custom\Indicators. In fact, and this may help, I do see "HoOlMin" in my indicators list. I never used it, never seen it before. I recently purchased several products from two major vendors within the last couple of weeks. Unfortunately, I haven't used Strategy Builder before adding those new products, so I don't know what impact those additions had regarding this error. I hope that info helps.
          Attached Files

Comment

Hello Interprises,

Third party assemblies would be located in the Custom folder.

That being said, my concern is the two listings for NinjaTrader.Custom in there - we shouldn't be seeing that listed as a third party assembly, much less one that says "corrupt" and one that says "original".

Let's have you do a test. First, open up a NinjaScript Editor window if you closed it before. Right click within the editor window and select "References". In the window that pops up, look for any references that mention NinjaTrader.Custom. Highlight these, and click "Remove". Once completed, shut down NinjaTrader and go to the Documents\NinjaTrader 8\bin\Custom folder. Again, look for any files in this folder that say NinjaTrader.Custom and drag these out of this folder to your desktop (so we can move them back if this makes things worse by some chance). Once complete, restart NinjaTrader - It will regenerate a new NinjaTrader.Custom file.

Once restarted, go to the NinjaScript Editor window and compile again. If no error messages pop up, test with the Strategy Builder.

Comment

Those corrupt and original files were created by me during my efforts to solve the problem before I turned to you for help, which I greatly appreciate.

Went through all the steps but still have the same error messages referenced in the video in #1.

NT8 loaded fine, so is it okay to delete the old Ninjatrader.Custom files or should I save them for a while?

I'm still confused about the mention of HonestRobotTrader and the recent appearance of "HoOlMin" in my indicators list. Do not remember dealing with that company, and I'm the only one accessing my trading system. If I'm wrong, and years ago I did load that script, is there anywhere else I need to browse to purge it?

Thanks again for your help.

Geary

Comment

Hello Interprises,

You can go ahead and delete the old NinjaTrader.Custom files, that's fine since it booted back up ok.

What I'd really recommend at this point to isolate the assembly it's coming from if you don't see it in the indicators folder or the indicator list in the NinjaScript Editor (you can check in the indicators folder in the right hand pane to see if you see an indicator called "HoOlMin" would be to make a copy of your Custom folder on your desktop, then start using the Remove NinjaScript Assembly feature under Tools to remove the installed assemblies one at a time. Remove one, test with the Builder, then remove the next one and test again. If the error stops after removing a specific assembly, it's a pretty good bet that's the one causing the issue.

After you figure out which one is causing it, you can copy everything except for the assembly you identified as causing the issue that was previously in there and wasn't in one of the subfolders (like the Indicator folder), just the things outside of those folders but inside the Custom folder, from your copy of the Custom folder back into the actual Custom folder. You'll likely need to re-add references for those items after this process.

To re-add the references for the ones that weren't the culprit:
                • From the Control Center please select New--> NinjaScript Editor
                • In the NinjaScript Editor please right click and select References.
                • The Add option will open a File Explorer, from the path that was opened please locate the .DLL file
                • If you find the .DLL please left click to select it and then select Open--> then select OK in the References window--> then right click in the NinjaScript Editor--> select Compile
                Repeat this process until no more compile errors remain.

Were you able to identify which assembly is causing the error after taking the steps above?

Comment

Hi, Kate —

Followed your directions and determined the errors are caused by third-party scripting so I notified the vendor.

Thank you for your help!

Geary

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by r68cervera, Today, 05:29 AM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post r68cervera  
                  Started by geddyisodin, Today, 05:20 AM
                  0 responses