Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

COT data not downloading

Hello,

I have activated the option to download the COT data in the global settings, but the data did not download. Folders have been created but with no content.

Any suggestions why this is happening?

Thanks,
    Lukas
    Attached Files

Hello Lukas,

Can you please tell me what NinjaTrader 8 version you have installed. You can check this at Control Center-->Help-->About (8.0.xx.x).

Did you apply the COT indicator in a weekly futures chart? If not, please right click in a weekly futures chart and select 'Indicators'. Add the COT indicator. Check if lines are plotted and if the folders in question contain content.

More information regarding the COT indicator can be found at the link below.
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Jason,

the newest NT Version is installed (8.0.24.3).

Even on a weekly chart, the data is not plotted and the folders are not populated.

I guess the issue might be the cftc.gov site is down where the data is downloaded from (https://www.cftc.gov/) ?
      Attached Files

Comment

Hello lakman184,

When I test it on my end, I experience the same. I have the following error many times in the trace file.

2021-09-20 05:42:34:884 Unable to download the file from: https://www.cftc.gov/files/dea/histo..._txt_2021.zip: The remote name could not be resolved: 'www.cftc.gov'

Please check if the COT indicator plots once the cftc.gov website is up and running again.

Comment

I have checked with my co-workers and they don't experience the issue. What is your physical location? I'm located in Europe, the Netherlands.

Comment

I'm from Germany.

Comment

Unfortunately it seems the website is geo-locked. We tested from another location (also Germany) and experienced the same.

If you have a VPN, I suggest to connect outside Europe (preferably US) and check if you can access the website.

Comment

Hello Jason,
                we are experiencing the same issue since today.
                We live in germany and can access the CFTC website with a browser. However, COT files are not downloaded in Ninja Trader.
                We use the most recet version of Ninja Trader and have the option enabled to download COT data.
                We tried to delete the local COT folder and restart Ninja Trader, but it doesnt work. The same issue occurs on all six devices we tested.

I do not think it is a geo-blocking because it always worked for us, and works in a browser.
                I rather think that the CFTC changed its web security settings and the COT indicator script uses a bad HTML header, getting blocked by the CFTC website.

Comment

Hello Bobin,

I experience the same when I test it on my end. I get error messages like below in the trace file. When I paste the links in a browser, it works.

2022-04-19 08:21:33:722 Unable to download the file from: https://www.cftc.gov/files/dea/histo...stfo_2000.zip: The remote server returned an error: (403) Forbidden.
                  2022-04-19 08:21:33:749 Unable to download the file from: https://www.cftc.gov/files/dea/histo...istfo2012.zip: The remote server returned an error: (403) Forbidden.
                  2022-04-19 08:21:33:786 Unable to download the file from: https://www.cftc.gov/files/dea/histo...stfo_1998.zip: The remote server returned an error: (403) Forbidden.

I will create a report for development to further investigate. Thank you for reporting.

Comment

Can you please check if this issue persists with our next release - 8.0.26.0. Unfortunately I don't have a release date. Please keep an eye out at the release notes at the link below.

Comment

Thank you for your answer.

This is really bad.
                      I am starting to wonder how a big company like Ninja Trader is not able to publish a new version after 6 months.
                      8.0.25 was released exactly 6 months ago.

Comment

Hello,

We've been notified of an ongoing issue with COT data which I have reported to the development team for further investigation. I will update this page when I hear more.
                        Ryan S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Interim fix for COT?

we can go directly to the source and download the file

NT's COT data is located at \NinjaTrader 8\db\cot

The name format is different to the download, but it is easily changed

Questions?
                          If we
                          download the txt file (it's in zip format)
                          unzip and rename
                          copy and paste to \NinjaTrader 8\db\cot

is this an effective workaround?

or if not, what are the missing steps?

Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-04-20_11-56-29.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	1198146

Comment

Hello,

Unfortunately I am not aware of a workaround, though the development team has let me know this issue has been resolved in the next release.
                            Ryan S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi NT Team,

I am using the COT indicator every week for my analyis. Would be great to know, when the indicator is fixed?
                              Some collegues from my last seminar bought a plug in which also includes COT data. There the COT index could be fixed within a day.
                              I don´t know how complicated this is, but maybe NT can provide a download for an adjusted COT indicator soon?

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by adeelshahzad, Today, 03:54 AM
                              5 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_BrandonH  
                              Started by stafe, 04-15-2024, 08:34 PM
                              7 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB