Preventing bar overlap with volume profile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Preventing bar overlap with volume profile

Hi everyone! apologize if this has been addressed elsewhere in the forum, I wasn't sure how to phrase it for an accurate search.

I'm looking to keep the bars on my chart from overlapping with the volume profile, if possible. The bars block my view of the volume and it's a minor annoyance. The only temporary solution I've found is to change my bars from candlestick to hollow candlestick, but was curious if I could somehow prevent the overlap altogether. I've attached a screenshot for context. Click image for larger version

Name:	bars.gif
Views:	467
Size:	178.2 KB
ID:	1173480

Hello small_gains_big_losses,

Thank you for your post.

You can configure the order in which the chart objects are displayed by setting the Z-Order of the volume profile on a level above the bars.

To set the Z-Order:
    Select the chart object by left-clicking on it.
    Hold down the "Shift" key on your keyboard and roll the mouse scroll wheel up or down to change the z-order of the object. As you scroll, the object's z-order will be displayed near your mouse cursor.

I have linked our Help Guide below for more information on chart objects:

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to ask them here.
    Eduardo R.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks for that tip. Eduardo. I didn't know that was even possible. Very helpful. Here's how my chart looks now (attached screenshot). Better, but it would still be fantastic if I could somehow keep the candlesticks from moving beyond where the volume profile begins (second attachment for an example).Click image for larger version

Name:	bars1.gif
Views:	438
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	1173515Click image for larger version

Name:	bars2_tradovate.gif
Views:	409
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	1173516

Comment

Thank you for the reply.
        Glad the tip was helpful.
        In response to your second example, if you have your indicator's Profile Period set to 'Composite' (which is what I see in your screenshot) you can keep the candlesticks from charting beyond the volume profile by configuring your Order Flow Volume Profile indicator to display in the margins.

The "Display in Margin" parameter for the Order Flow Volume Profile indicator can be accessed by:
        • Pressing Ctrl + I from within your chart
        • Navigating to Indicators> Configured> Order Flow Volume Profile> Properties> Visual> Display in margin.
        • Check the checkbox and press the OK button.
        With this setting enabled, the order flow display will be bound by the margins of your chart panel.

For more information on the Order Flow Volume Profile indicator parameters, please consult our Help Guide (linked below).

Please let us know if you need any further assistance.

Comment

Thank you so much for this! That is exactly what I was looking for. You have been a tremendous help. I was missing the "composite" option being set and once I did set it to composite, that changed everything. Thanks again for sticking with me on this. One final question... Do you happen to know of any add-on or option that will display information similar to this (screenshot attached)?

Click image for larger version

Name:	info.gif
Views:	407
Size:	4.7 KB
ID:	1173541

Comment

Thank you for the reply.

NinjaTrader has a Market Analyzer feature that displays Last, Bid, and Ask prices. It is a quote sheet that enables real-time market scanning of multiple instruments. For more information on this feature, please feel free to visit our Help Guide (linked below).

If you wish to view this information in a chart, the chart trader displays current Bid and Ask prices, but you may need to use a third-party indicator if you would like additional information to be displayed.

An example of such an indicator would be the BarInfo indicator, which is publicly available on our NinjaTrader Ecosystem website:
            Update 6/26/2020 As requested, I have added the following fields: – Range – Volume/Range I’ve written this script to be able to quickly see basic chart/bar info without having to use the Data Box or clicking the middle mouse button/wheel. Some basic functionality include: – The option to select which fields you’d like to see/hide. […]

The indicator is able to display ask and bid prices.

Here is a basic guideline of how to import NinjaScript add-ons in NinjaTrader 8:
            Note — To import NinjaScripts you will need the original .zip file.

To Import:
            Download the NinjaScripts to your desktop, keep them in the compressed .zip file.
            From the Control Center window select the menu Tools > Import > NinjaScript Add-on...
            Select the downloaded .zip file
            NinjaTrader will then confirm if the import has been successful.
            Critical - Specifically for some NinjaScripts, it will prompt that you are running newer versions of @SMA, @EMA, etc. and ask if you want to replace, press 'No'

Once installed, you may add the indicator to a chart by:
            Right-click your chart > Indicators... > Select the Indicator from the 'Available' list on the left > Add > OK
            Here is a short video demonstration of the import process:

Install a 3rd Party Indicator or App
            Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

*The NinjaTrader Ecosystem website is for educational and informational purposes only and should not be considered a solicitation to buy or sell a futures contract or make any other type of investment decision. The add-ons listed on this website are not to be considered a recommendation and it is the reader's responsibility to evaluate any product, service, or company. NinjaTrader Ecosystem LLC is not responsible for the accuracy or content of any product, service or company linked to on this website.

Comment

Thank you again, Eduardo! This is incredible information. I did think of on more thing to ask... I promise that I am searching for these questions first, but I either am not entirely sure how to word them for the best results or I'm just completely wrong in my searches.

If I have a 22range chart and a 5 minute chart of the same instrument (NQ, for example) how can I have both charts show the active trade markers? Right now, I enter trades on the 22range chart but I would like to have the 5 minute chart show the markers as well, if possible. I'm attaching a screenshot of my charts showing the 22r on the left and the 5 min on the right. The 22r has an active trade but the 5 minute chart doesn't show the active trade.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bars3.gif
Views:	419
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	1173661

Comment

Hello again small_gains_big_losses,

Thank you for the reply.
                The orders will appear on the chart if you have the Chart Trader enabled.
                Chart Trader can be enabled within any chart window via the chart properties dialog window or by left-clicking on the Chart Trader icon in the chart toolbar.
                Note: Orders will only display for the Account and Instrument selected in the Chart Trader.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to reply.

Comment

You are the best. You deserve a raise. Let your boss know I said so.

Thank you for all the awesome help. Eduardo!

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by Radano, 06-10-2021, 01:40 AM
                  19 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post Radano
                  by Radano

Started by KenneGaray, Today, 03:48 AM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes