Real Time drawing object alerts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Real Time drawing object alerts

I did a search for the answer in this forum, but could not find one. I am trading 60-min and 240-min charts, and I would like to have drawing object alerts trigger instantly, and not at the close of the bar. Waiting for a 240-min bar to close takes too long. I have attempted configuring an alert on a ray so that when price crosses above the ray I will get an alert. I also tried doing this by setting an alert where if price is greater or equal to the ray I will get an alert. These alerts do not seem to trigger in a timely manner, but some time later. I assume that my alerts are waiting for the close of the bar.

However, if I right click on a chart and set an alert to trigger if price > 0, I get an instant alert. Am I doing something wrong on the drawing object crossover alerts? Is there any way to get these alerts to sound in real time, and not wait until the bar closes?

Thanks-
    Rick

Hello Bionian,

Thanks for your post.

Can you please reply with a screenshot of the alert parameters you are using so we can better understand what may be misconfigured with the alert?

I suspect the Rearm type is set to On Bar Close, which will wait to trigger the alert until the bar closes, and changing this setting to the desired functionality should resolve the issue.

I look forward to your reply.
    Marco G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	aleert2.png
Views:	133
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	1174717
      Click image for larger version

Name:	alert1.png
Views:	116
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	1174718 I am attaching two screenshots. One is the conditions screen. It shows, under properties, bars ago 0 and Price type close. This may be part of the problem, because "last" price is not an option. The others don't seem to fit.
      I have also included the Properties screen. Rearm type is set for "Never" because I only want the alert to trigger once time, and not repeat itself on subsequent crossovers.
      Thanks

Comment

Hello Bionian,

Thank you for those screenshots.

Your settings are all correct, but this is a limitation of the options since there is no 'Last' price option as you mentioned, sot it will not appear until the bar that crosses closes. A quick trick you can do though is adding a hidden Data Series using a low timeframe, even down to MNQ 12-21 (1 second), which would allow your line to trigger immediately.

Here is a video from our publicly available YouTube Channel that will walkthrough How to Add a Hidden Data Series to your chart (ignore the indicator steps). Once you add MNQ 12-21 (1 Second) to your chart, you will want to set your Horizontal Lines to draw to All charts in the Drawing Tools Properties window. Selecting template > save > Save As Default at the bottom of this window will apply this to all future lines you draw as well.

After doing this, you will be able to draw your line on the MNQ 12-21 240 minute chart, set the Alert to trigger when MNQ 12-21 (1 sec) crosses your Line, and you will no longer have to wait for the 240 min bar to close before the Alert appears as triggered.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.
        Justin D.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks, Justin for the reply. I have used hidden data before. Should there any issues whet it is time to roll over the futures contract? Will the hidden dataset roll over along with the visible data?

Comment

Hello Bionian,

Thank you for your response.

When you complete a rollover, it will apply automatically to all of the windows on your workspace including the Hidden Data Series, so you should not need to worry about it. You can always double-check this as well using the Data Series window.

As always, feel free to write in with any additional questions you may have regarding NinjaTrader.
            Justin D.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by Tim-c, Today, 10:58 AM
            0 responses
            1 view
            0 likes
            Last Post Tim-c
            by Tim-c

Started by traderqz, Yesterday, 09:06 AM