Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wiseman Fractal Plotting Errors

Good day,
    The Wiseman Fractal appears to be plotting incorrectly. I've attached an example of a bar denoted as a lower fractal at 5:50 MT on an NQ 5 min chart. The second bar after the fractal clearly has a lower low. I've tried removing the indicator from the chart and reloading it. That cleared the existing errors, but it continues to print new incorrectly denoted fractal bars. Thoughts?
    Attached Files

Hello Bob49,

Thank you for your reply.

I'm not seeing that same bar noted as a lower fractal on my chart:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-10-18_08-49-48.png
Views:	288
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	1175304

However, from your description, it sounds like this is only occurring with real time bars. Do you see the same if you import this similar fractals indicator from our publicly available User App Share?

Who is your data provider so I may try to test with the same type of connection?

Does reloading historical data clear the incorrectly listed fractals?

Thanks in advance; I look forward to assisting you further.
    Kate W.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Good day,
      All good questions.
      * Reloading history appears to clear invalid fractal indicators. The pattern I'm noticing is: fractal bar +1 has a higher low, and fractal bar +2 initially has a higher low causes the fractal indicator to print. If bar +2 subsequently breaches the fractal bar's low, the indicator is not removed.
      * I'm using Live Continuum data.
      * I'll search for another version of the fractal indicator and test.

Thanks,
      Bob

Comment

Good day again. If I'm in the correct place, my search doesn't find anything with the name "Fractal" in it.
        Bob

Comment

Hello Bob49,

That's my fault actually, I neglected to post the link to the fractal indicator on the publicly available User App Share:

This is a conversion of the NT7 indicator Fractals by Bill Williams. Please contact the original author for any questions or comments. 09-13-2021: – Added call to Update() in outputs to improve use in a strategy 11/02/15: – Added rays to connect last two fractal points and extend right – Added ability to set ray/text […]

Do you see the same behavior with this indicator? Or only with the Wiseman Fractal?

The NinjaTrader Ecosystem website is for educational and informational purposes only and should not be considered a solicitation to buy or sell a futures contract or make any other type of investment decision. The add-ons listed on this website are not to be considered a recommendation and it is the reader's responsibility to evaluate any product, service, or company. NinjaTrader Ecosystem LLC is not responsible for the accuracy or content of any product, service or company linked to on this website.

Comment

Hi,
            I've installed the bwFractal indicator after-hours. I'll check it this evening or early tomorrow.
            Thanks,
            Bob

Comment

Sigh,
              bwFractal exhibits the same incorrect prints. Please the attached screenshots.

* The first one is a real-time print before reload. The 16:10 bar is incorrectly identified as a fractal.
              * The second one is after a data reload, and the 16:10 bar is no longer identified as a fractal.

Where do we go from here? This surely appears to be a bug, and the Williams Fractal is a NinjaTrader supplied indicator.

Bob
              Attached Files

Comment

Hello Bob49,

I'm seeing matching prints between real time and historical data when Tick Replay is turned on for the chart - do you see the same?

Comment

Kate,
                  Good day,

I assume that you mean that your replay and real-time both produce the same incorrect results. If I'm correct, then we have verified a bug, and I think the next step is for NinjaTrader to fix the NinjaTrader supplied Wiseman Fractal. I don't mean to be rude, but I'm a customer who is trying to make money and be efficient with my time.

My theory which continues to hold true is: A fractal indicator is printed when:
                  a) tentative fractal bar + 1 closing value is within the high/low of the tentative fractal bar, and
                  b) tentative fractal bar + 2 initially has a value that is also within the fractal bar's high/low. The fractal indicator is printed as soon as bar + 2 prints and is within the high/low range needed.

I have seen this occur in real-time. I believe the problem is that there is no logic to remove the fractal indicator if the value of bar + 2 exceeds the high/low of the fractal bar thus invalidating the tentative fractal.

Bob

Comment

Good morning, Kate.
                    I've switched back to the NinjaTrader provided Wiseman Fractal, and I believe the a solution to solve the incorrect print problem is to change the default Calculate "On Price Change" to "On Bar Close". Since the print is only evaluated on the closing price, no intra-bar prices can cause an indicator print that subsequently should be removed.

Onward,
                    Bob

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by MarianApalaghiei, Today, 10:49 PM
                    1 response
                    0 likes
                    Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred  
                    Started by love2code2trade, Yesterday, 01:45 PM
                    4 responses