Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drawing a line (F2) on tick charts

To whom it concerns,

Ive been having this issue a lot. Everytime i draw a trend line, lock it, and save the template, it doesnt save. This happens after i close the platform and reopen it. Horizontal lines are being saved, but not anything diagonal.

Any advise?

Hello vish619,

Thank you for your post.

Drawing objects do not save as part of a chart template, because they rely on specific underlying data points on both the X axis and Y axis of a chart. Since they are specific to the underlying chart, they can only be saved as part of the workspace. To save a line to a chart, you would need to do the following;

Add your line to the chart
    Leave the chart window open
    Navigate to Control Center > Workspaces > hover your mouse of the name of your workspace and select 'save'

Once you've done the above process, your drawing object will be saved to the chart and will remain intact unless you completely close the chart. It's important when working with Workspaces that you do not close out of the individual windows that make up the workspace. Pressing the little red 'X' button in the upper right-hand corner of each chart window will eliminate that window from your workspace. You want to leave any window that you want to keep as part of your workspace open at all times. Additionally, it's important to only ever exit the platform from the Control Center window and not to use the 'Close all windows' option from the Windows task bar. This will close all of the individual windows prior to closing the Control Center and will prompt you to save after all the windows have been closed, which results in a blank workspace.

Please let us know if we may assist you any further or if you are still unable to save the lines on your chart with the process above.
    Zachary S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Add your line to the chart
      Leave the chart window open
      Navigate to Control Center > Workspaces > hover your mouse of the name of your workspace and select 'save'
      I did exactly that. So I have 4 different workspaces. In order for it to save, i need to save and then hit 'close' for each workspace right?

Comment

Hello vish619,

Thank you for your reply.

You don't necessarily need to close the workspaces unless you want it closed. The important part is just making sure that you are saving the workspace and not closing out of the individual chart windows prior to exiting the platform. I've included a video demonstration for your reference of myself adding a line to my chart, saving my workspace, and closing & reopening the platform. This video is publicly available at the link below;

Please let us know if we may assist you any further with this item.

Comment

I did exactly how you did it on the video. My lines were saved but it moved to a different spot. Is it because i am closing and saving multiple workspaces at once when i hit the x button on the control center.

Comment

Hello vish619,

What time frame are you loading on your charts? (For example: 5 Minute, 1500 Tick, 7 Renko, etc.)

Do you happen to be drawing the line into the future at all?

When you say that it 'moves', what do you mean more specifically?

I look forward to your response.

Comment

33K, 5k, and 1.1k tick charts. If i draw a trend line, the trend line would shift up or down on y and x axis. so if i drew it from wick to wick on several candlesticks, it would shift where the line would go below/above the wick.

And yes i draw the lines into the future.

Comment

Hello vish619,

This is expected behavior when drawing lines into the future on tick-based charts. It actually occurs on all charts when drawing into the future, but tick-based charts are the most prominently noticeable. This is because, when anchor points for a line are drawn into the future, those anchor points do not yet exist and are on an estimated position on the chart. As the chart continues to build, the drawing object is adjusting to sit in the 'correct position' on the chart once the data for that anchor point actually does exist.

To use an example, if you draw a line at, what you would expect to be, 10 seconds into the feature on a 1 second chart, you would do so expecting that each second would have a bar there. However, if only 3 of those seconds had ticks of data, then that bar would occur 7 bars sooner than you expect.

Please let us know if we may assist you any further.

Comment

Okay got it. I thought i was going crazy trying to figure out who was moving my line. I suppose ill avoid drawing lines into the future.

Thanks for helping me today!

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by jaybedreamin, Today, 05:56 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post jaybedreamin  
                  Started by DJ888, 04-16-2024, 06:09 PM
                  6 responses
                  0 likes